Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Just how many gears do you need?
  • Smee
    Free Member

😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Overall or just at any one moment?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

How much gear? Enough to see me thru til the new year.

jedi

some people just find choice overwhelming 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

jedi – you might be onto something there, but it's been a while since i was in the wrong gear. 😀

Blower
    Free Member

the more i ave the more i need 😉

Olly
    Free Member

jonb
    Free Member

Depends on the hill but on my road bike in the hills I often find my self looking for one more.

bassspine
    Free Member

one (at a time). How can you be in two gears?

stevious

Minimum twenty.

Including in cars.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Sometimes just a couple, sometimes just one more. The fitter I got (currently sliding backwards) the more likely it was to be a higher gear though, which is nice. (I have a bad habit of pedaling hard downhill and on tarmac descents so they feel faster, then arriving at climbs not at all rested, but hey, what can you do!)

sheldona
    Free Member

I like my Singlespeed as it has 3 gears. Sit, stand and my favorite the 24inch gear*

*2 feet 😉

Northwind

I only really want about 4 or 5- slow climb, regular climb/fast climb slow flat/fast flat slow descend/fast descend. Just that there's all these other ones inbetween.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'd love a 3-speed hub that can take a disc.

you'd still get the single-speed challenge of riding in the wrong gear most of the time, but your knees wouldn't hurt as much.

and it would be 5 gears lighter / cheaper than an alfine…

nicko74

2. Forwards and backwards.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I think you will find the answer is two-One at the front and one at the rear! Simples

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

presently using 18

Unosprocket
    Free Member

Just the one 😉

gohan
    Free Member

for tomorrow night a gram and about 12 units, for riding 1 gear.

roundwheels
    Free Member

More than one

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

gears on a bike? but then I am from Bizzol, we just nick bikes… Dont know chuff about them 😆

cookeaa

I have 16 on my trail bike, 18 on my road bike, 9 on my DH bike and one on My BMX and none of them seem to make me any fitter or faster, so I probably need more… or less, or it doesn't really matter… 🙄

Taff
    Free Member

14… +1 for walking

AlasdairMc

If you're prepared to keep going on uphills until your lungs fall out, only one. If you prefer saving some energy for descending or have a bouncy bike that climbs like a tank at the best of times, then some other gears would be desirable.

32:16 on a hardtail seems like the best of both worlds.

gohan
    Free Member

CrAsH…tEsT..RiDeR i may not be from bristol but im here now! i know what you mean about stealing bikes, dont matter about the gears or brakes as long as its free! lol

andrewh
    Free Member

The french have a new kind of tank. It has 14 gears. 13 of them reverse (they fitted one forward gear just in case the enemy attack from behind 🙂 )

simonralli2
    Free Member

My back wheel goes from 1 to 9 but my front never sees much action at all so I could quite happily lose the front ones, just no idea how I would do that. I always like things as simple as possible. I am just way too unfit to do this single speed business tho and do like gears.

igm

About 48 at the moment – across 3 bikes

oldgit
    Free Member

Ooh about four for my big ring, five for the middle ring and three for the granny, so about twelve out of the twenty seven.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Just how many gears do you need?’ is closed to new replies.