Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just back from the North of England cyclocross championship
  • igm

Eldest did his first cyclocross event. I think he came roughly last, but had enjoyed it. U12s and he’s 10 so some of the kids are 18 months older than him so not that surprising for a first time out. He’d have done better if he’d actually shifted gear. Once even.

However I now understand why Islabikes brought out the pro range. There were quite a few carbon disc bikes with carbon deep section rims in the U12s and a few in the U10s. I didn’t know carbon frames came in those sizes.

I thought I was an indulgent father. I was clearly wrong.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cool, nothing better than kids getting muddy on bikes.

It does look like an arms race sometimes yes, but it’s the squidgy bit pushing the pedddles that matters most.

Glad your son enjoyed it, he did didn’t he ? 😆

scaredypants

see, if your kid had a carbon bike and 50 quid tubs he’d probably have a trophy on his lap right now.

you bastard

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Think it’ time to get some homologation going on, those kids on lightweight kit need some bricks to carry as ballast. 😆

igm

He enjoyed it.

And yes the squishy bit pushing the pedals needs to use gears he already has.

But he was still scrapping over 2nd to last place on the last couple of corners, so a good morning. He got it with one rise and corner to go, and If he’d geared down a couple of sprockets he’d have ridden the last rise and kept that place.

He’ll learn.

crazy-legs

I’m still here, pit crewing. The Youth race was brilliant to watch, most of the kids seemed to be loving it.

Turned out nice, it’s a cracking course too. Evie Richards dominated the Women’s race. Smashed off the front of that, worked her way steadily through the majority of the V50 Men who’d had a 2 minute head start and won by a country mile. Impressive stuff.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

However I now understand why Islabikes brought out the pro range. There were quite a few carbon disc bikes with carbon deep section rims in the U12s and a few in the U10s. I didn’t know carbon frames came in those sizes.

Cycling’s biggest problem, makes it less accessible to families with no background in the sport or deep pockets

igm

BnD – I can understand that point of view. Like I say, I thought I was being indulgent buying Islabikes that two boys use and then get sold on. The idea of carbon frames for kids does not appeal.

The best carbon frame in the world would not have moved my son up the leaderboard much – learning to use the 8 gear ratios he has available might well. And committing hard to corners – his bike handling is good, he just needs to believe.

jonba
    Free Member

see, if your kid had a carbon bike and 50 quid tubs he’d probably have a trophy on his lap right now.

you bastard

Cheaper to just buy a trophy.

Even for adults CX has become more expensive to challenge for the top spots in the last 5 years. Seems half the field will have a second bike, pressure washer and helper at the bigger races.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I think all under 16 racing should be one-design. I think you should pay your tenner, pull a bike off the rack (supplied by British Cycling) and go race. Fastest kid wins.

sefton
    Free Member

Great course, super fast!

stick_man

Would deep section wheels make much difference in CX?

igm

Yes, sorry, should have said – thank you to the organisers for a great even, and in particular the volunteers.

eddie11
    Free Member

Would deep section wheels make much difference in CX?

It’s more a side effect of the lightweight road rims, that said deep rims are meant to cut through and hold their line Better through deep sand and mud. More useful cross traits.

sefton
    Free Member

Marginal at best…depends what you call deep sections though. I don’t notice them when watching the euro or world cup eaces.

ferrals
    Free Member

Glad he enjoyed it. Don’t fret about the kit, plenty of people of fancy bikes being smashed by folk on bottom of the range bikes. Being fluid over the hurdles or around a hairpin is worth a couple of kg on th bike

frankconway

What a great thread; pleased the boy enjoyed it. He’s far too young to focus on the technology; at his age it’s all about what he gets out of it.
    If he had a big grin on his face when he got home – you couldn’t ask for anything more.

Seamus
    Free Member

At that age the fast lads are fast regardless of the bike etc. It gets expensive when the kids want to race Road CX MTB and TT! Fortunately Seamus jnr is now on the same size as me so at least for CX we can share 2 bikes between us. Great racing today at York, thanks to all the organisers.

igm

He enjoyed it. He also rode an Islabike Pro and liked that. He knows he’s not getting it. He’s still happy.

Great day to be honest

mick_r

We were there – makes a change from the last 3 nw races which have been quite filthy and swampy. It was definitely the biggest legs not biggest jet washers doing the winning.

Mrs was third in vets on a home made steel frame so not everyone was on carbon 🙂
    I was most disappointed that they didn’t want to scan the skinny steel tubes for hidden motors… (only interested in chunky carbon and ally). Wonder if the scanner works on steel?

sefton
    Free Member

anyone one for links to the photos?

LS
    Free Member

Although there is something of an arms race when it comes to kids’ kit, it’s largely for the benefit of the parents. At U12 level it makes next to no difference to the race result.
    Kids can and do still turn up on Halfords/Toys R Us specials and enjoy it just as much as everyone else, as they always have done.
    The kids races at all the regional championships yesterday were not designated as championships themselves, just supporting events. That’s solely to try and stop the pushy parent brigade putting too much pressure on too soon.

At the Midlands champs yesterday I saw an under-9 with Di2. They still finished near the back.

richvelo
    Free Member

Some great pics here,

IMG_3322

richvelo
    Free Member
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just back from the North of England cyclocross championship’ is closed to new replies.