Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Just back from Copenhagen.
  • globalti
    Free Member

What a city! Expensive but clean, well organised and full of beautiful buildings and shops. Very little traffic, clean with no chewing gum on the pavements, no fat chavs chugging coke, eveybody friendly and helpful, I could go on forever. We took a short Sleazyjet flight over, jumped on the metro, 15 minute ride to town then a 15 minute walk to our hotel on Nyhaven by the old docks. Bikes everywhere and…. the Danish women! Oh. My. God.

Can’t wait to go again.

onandon
    Free Member

It’s been a few years since my last visit. Love the place.
    Did you enjoy any spunk while you were there ? Most shops have them

johnx2
    Free Member

I do hear it’s wonderful.

weeksy

sounds Wonderful

Wonderful

globalti
    Free Member

Some of the pics I took:

Stoner
    Free Member

Some of the pics I took:

Danish women! Oh. My. God.

Ahem.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If I ever meet Sandi Toksvig, I will call her Ethel and ask her to make me a sandwich.

chewkw
    Free Member

Visited Copenhagen one late summer many years ago so spent one night there camping, but legged it the next day coz the weather was freezing off me golf balls. I was wearing summer Borneo clothing … silly boy me.

growinglad
    Free Member

You forgot to mention the Beer….boy oh boy, they do like some strong ones.

Cool place, kind of like Switzerland in the fact that everything is all very nice (and expensive), everything just works, but they are easier going, oh and they have descent interesting places to eat, good pubs and the Sea…but apart from that….like Switzerland 😉

They all seem to speak perfect English….which is just as well as Danish doesn’t strike me as the easiest of languages to pick up.

I’d like to head back there one day.

scud
    Free Member

Who did you fly with and any recommendations for cheapish hotels there?

Was supposed to go to a wedding there a few years ago, read up on it, got excited then couldn’t go as i was changing jobs and i thought it would be bad form to take 3 days of my first week there off.

munrobiker
    Free Member

We went in June and loved it. If it had mountains I’d move there. We stayed with a friend who lives there and as you can imagine it’s a great place to live as well as visit.

I found it cheaper than London, despite the pound dropping chunks every ten minutes when we were there.

Drac

tjing tjång tjing løci lai

globalti
    Free Member

We flew with Sleazyjet of course and I’m afraid the hotel we stayed at wasn’t cheap; it was 71 Nyhaven, a kind of upmarket Salford Quays. But there are planty of hostels and budget places.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

It’s an amazing place. Went for our anniversary earlier in the year and really loved the whole thing. We stayed here which was cool, not bad value and very well located for cycling around.

https://guldsmedenhotels.com/guldsmeden-hotels-in-copenhagen/

And yes, most of the local women (and men if that’s your thing!) do all look effortlessly healthy and beautiful as only scandis can!

scotroutes

Suicide rate is 40% more than the UK. Maybe it’s all the ugly Danes under too much peer pressure?

zippykona

I haven’t got time to see the girls in Copenhagen. Just noticed that Newcastle is on the same latitude so I’m presuming the girls there are equally gorgeous.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

So, if I went in January… what are the must see/ do things then?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    So, if I went in January… what are the must see/ do things then?

Get rattled during happy hour! 😆

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

More likely the doubling of the gun ownership rates.

Very easy to make a mess of poisoning or hanging and surviving. Harder to make a mess of blowing your brains out.

It’s the same in much of Scandinavia.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t move there though. Crap MTBing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, it’s still in the EU, bloody foreigners.

nedrapier

I’d find a place on airbnb. Great way to see a city – you feel like you’re living there for a weekend rather than insulated as a tourist with all the infrastructure/filters that come with being in a hotel.

We stayed in an apartment a street away from Gammel Strand in the old town. quiet and central. Perfect!

Hire bikes while you’re there, too! Obvs.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Teeto- we were there for a week and rinsed the place. I’d recommend-

Walk from Dronning Louises Bro (Princess Louise Bridge) to Nyhaven then on to the Design Museum, Kastellet then the Little Mermaid. And a boat tour.

Church of Our Saviour- you can walk up the tower, which won’t be that thrilling for a telecoms engineer but Ruth’ll like it. You walk up the outside of the spire. Lizzy almost shat herself because the whole thing sways in the wind.

Fredriksberg Park.

Assistens Cemetery in Norrebro, very peaceful and has several famous people’s graves in it.

Lunch on Papirøen, a big streetfood market in the old paper warehouses. Great food in there.

A day out to the Louisiana art museum. Modern art presented without pretension, which is a novelty compared to the likes of the Tate. Everyone told us we HAD to go here.

We went for Distortion Festival which was fun. When the Danes let their hair down they really misbehave.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and obvious we hired bikes and bummed about all over the city on them. Which was good.

jonnym92

Just booked to head to Copenhagen for 4 nights including New Years Eve/Day. Looking forward to it. Anyone been before in December/January, am I going to freeze to death?? Also.. any know where I can get a good burger?

corroded
    Free Member

Fantastic city. I cycled along the ‘Danish Riviera’ to Louisiana modern art musuem. (But wouldn’t try that in winter…) I also remember going to get a coffee at a cafe as soon as I had arrived and noticing the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. And then another and another and another…
    Winter – I gather it’s more likely to be wet than brutally cold.

theotherjonv

Anyone been before in December/January, am I going to freeze to death??

Just noticed that Newcastle is on the same latitude

T-shirt / miniskirt will be fine then.

Just type any made up Danish female name into google image search and you won’t be disappointed.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    I’d find a place on airbnb. Great way to see a city – you feel like you’re living there for a weekend rather than insulated as a tourist with all the infrastructure/filters that come with being in a hotel.

We had an Air BnB booked but they cancelled it 2 weeks before we were due to fly as they claimed to have had a flood. No idea if it was genuine but I’m happy as we ended up in a really nice hotel in a much better area (albeit at three times the price!!).

DrJ

Just booked to head to Copenhagen for 4 nights including New Years Eve/Day. Looking forward to it. Anyone been before in December/January, am I going to freeze to death?? Also.. any know where I can get a good burger?

Can be bloody cold. Good place to go NYE is by the lakes, where there are lots of fireworks.

Burgers:
    http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/gastronomy/best-burgers
    from which I would recommend:
    http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/salon-39-gdk496199
    especially if you like a whiskey-based drink like an Old Fashioned!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

jonnym92 – Member
    Also.. any know where I can get a good burger?

http://copenhagenstreetfood.dk/en/

Great food there (and indoor too despite the name). Nice cycle to get there (if it’s dry anyway) and a massive variety of great food.

Other nice places to eat were:

http://www.granola.dk (great breakfast)

http://hostvakst.dk/

http://restaurant-kanalen.dk/

DrJ

Great food there (and indoor too despite the name). Nice cycle to get there

Quick walk over the new bridge now 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

DrJ – Member

Quick walk over the new bridge now

I’d forgotten they were building that! Probably a preferable option in January!

DrJ

Great resto ideas hugh!

Some of my favourites:
    http://restaurantradio.dk/ (quite expensive)
    http://fiskebaren.dk/
    http://warpigs.dk/ (BBQ and beer!!)

jonnym92

Awesome thanks guys. Warpigs and the Street Food place look right up my street.
    Another thing, am I best learning some Danish phrases? Everything seems to suggest that everyone speaks great English.. but I don’t want to appear ignorant!

Kamakazie

Good city.
    Try the meat packing district for food & drinks, plenty of choice and an interesting.
    There a bike tour from the bike shop in Nyhaven which was great and a bit of a different perspective on where is worth visiting.

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly friendly for inexperienced bike riders though just because there’s so many other bikes about. Great if you are happy going with the flow though. Better segregation than Amsterdam as well.

DrJ

Another thing, am I best learning some Danish phrases?

You could in order to look nice but to be honest the pronunciation is a nightmare and nobody will understand you 🙂

redmex
    Free Member

I’d have to agree about the women they are much fitter probably as most cycle everywhere seem to have longer legs and blond hair. Watch and not get run over by a cyclist no lights and they are speeding along.Have you heard the term it’s Baltic well the sea isn’t too far away, I was there in Nov and it was depressing weather just dark cloud all day long and Baltic not freezing just Baltic cold.Very clean and modern but if you like brick buildings cracking workmanship historic buildings. Easy trip to Sweden over the bridge,by the time you exchange your cash a £20 should get you two starbucks flat whites but not much change. I’d go back again but in summertime and would avoid the Tivoli

jambalaya
    Free Member

My daughter lived there for a year and I used to go a bit for work, lovely city and only place to have ever been offered tea, coffee or Carlsberg at a work meeting

darrell
    Free Member

the girls are nicer here in Norway and we have mountains

and

fjords

munrobiker
    Free Member

With the phrases, it’s sort of easy to pick up and have a crack. I’d learn a few.

Tusind tak (a thousand thank yous) raises a smile every time from the locals.

The pronunciation isn’t like ours at all though, kylling is the word for chicken. But it’s not said kylling, it’s said kooling so I spent three days asking for kitten sandwiches. Which also raises a smile.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Just back from Copenhagen.’ is closed to new replies.