Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)
  • Just accquired a Mac
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Through work, as a second workstation. It was going spare so I thought I’d see what the fuss was about.

It’s pissed me off immediately. Wtf is up with the keyboard? Why do they hve the @ and ” switched around even on a UK keyboard? And \ is in the wrong place. Why do this except to be bloody-minded?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just accquired a Mac

mikewsmith
    Free Member

careful now you will be telling us all the 2nd button is so useless

molgrips
    Free Member

Mac, not mac.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m going to watch this thread with rose tinted shades on, because you dear fellow will be furious.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mac, not mac.

Apologies. My mistake. 😉

eddie11
    Free Member

If it’s an older model wait till you try and find the hashtag key

CheesybeanZ

Which model and what platform is it running ? We’ve got fair bit of Mac stuff from a broken powerMac G5 .

aP
    Free Member

What the hashtag key?

molgrips
    Free Member

Which model and what platform is it running ?

I don’t even know how to find out.

EDIT it appears to be a 15″ i7 from 2015

allthegear
    Free Member

Click on the Apple Symbol in the top left hand corner of the screen and then on “About this Mac”

Rachel

zippykona

And if you want to do a screenshot you have to do 3 years with the masons before they even think of telling you the sequence of buttons you need to press.
    GIVE ME A RIGHT CLICK OPTION YOU BEARDY NON SOCK WEARING ****.

kiwijohn

Click on the apple in the corner & then about this mac.

Beaten to it.

Anyway, if you want a second (or third) button, i recommend Magic Prefs.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Mac Symbol->About this Mac->Overview ->System Report.

You’ve just taken your first steps into a much larger world….

Kryton57

And if you want to do a screenshot you have to do 3 years with the masons before they even think of telling you the sequence of buttons you need to press.

Command+shift+4. for a selectable screen area copy

You’re welcome.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve just taken your first steps into a much larger world

That’s silly.. the Apple world is deliberarely much smaller – that’s one of their selling points.

There is no excuse for having the keys mixed up though. That’s just wrong.

huws
    Free Member

Try working on a windows VM through a Mac keyboard.
    Took me about a month to work out how to unlock it as ctrl alt delete doesn’t exist.

zippykona

Command+shift+4. for a selectable screen area copy

That’s all very well but which one is the shift button?

allthegear
    Free Member

That’s silly.. the Apple world is deliberarely much smaller – that’s one of their selling points.

Far from it – it is *much* easier to work with a far greater variety of (especially open source) software on Mac than it is on Windows. Being Unix has many, many advantages…

Rachel

perchypanther
    Free Member

That’s all very well but which one is the shift button?

It’s the one next to the Any key

footflaps

🙂

I normally take about three screen shots trying to find #

footflaps

Being Unix has many, many advantages…

Tut tut, it’s a BSD variant…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The keys aren’t mixed up, they’re just in a different place to Windows. The thought of you trolling yourself while you try to become accustomed gives me a little grin. Time to realise just how entrenched you are…

allthegear
    Free Member

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Far from it – it is *much* easier to work with a far greater variety of (especially open source) software on Mac than it is on Windows. Being Unix has many, many advantages…

I wasn’t necessarily comparing it to Windows, and I was also not necessarily talking about open source.

doris5000

any if it’s a newer one, good luck trying to do a £ 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

The keys aren’t mixed up, they’re just in a different place to Windows.

That’s the definition of mixed up. Why be different just for the sake of it? With tens or hundreds of millions of UK keyboards in the UK, what bright spark thought “I know, let’s make our keyboards with characters in different places to everyone else” ?

It’s a UK spec keyboard because it has a £ on it. So they’ve gone to the trouble of making it different to the US one. But rather than make the two other changes that UK keyboards have, they just did the one. WHY?

footflaps

any if it’s a newer one, good luck trying to do a £

I just write GBP next to the numbers, it’s quicker than trying to find the right key combination!

binners

Considering you recently started a thread where you went into raptures about some gimmicky oversized Microsoft tablet thing, all of which will now be gathering dust in the corner of a warehouse, I think we can legitimately ignore your opinions about pooters Molls. Especially decent ones.

allthegear
    Free Member

Tell you what, Molgrips, send it to me and I’ll send you back a laptop with a “proper keyboard”

Rachel

poly
    Free Member

Why do you assume that the version you are used to is right? You adapt very quickly, and then when you go back to a “windows” keyboard say “why the heck is the @ symbol not on the 2?” The # may however have been a cock up because americans call # a pound…

poly
    Free Member

Why do you assume that the version you are used to is right? You adapt very quickly, and then when you go back to a “windows” keyboard say “why the heck is the @ symbol not on the 2?” The # may however have been a cock up because americans call # a pound…

poly
    Free Member

poly
    Free Member

allthegear
    Free Member

I assume it was a Mac keyboard causing all those posts…

codybrennan
    Free Member

molgrips- just download “Karabiner” and remap the keys to your satisfaction.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you assume that the version you are used to is right? You adapt very quickly, and then when you go back to a “windows” keyboard say “why the heck is the @ symbol not on the 2?”

Weight of numbers. And I will always be switching between the two which is what the problem is. They’ve made a problem for us to deal with for no reason. It would cost zero effort to bring the two platforms into line.

I assume it was a Mac keyboard causing all those posts…

Not sure what your point is here but no, it wasn’t.

Daffy

Being Unix has many, many advantages…
    Rachel

And yet for all those advantages, sales of Macs didn’t really begin to compete with PCs until they started using PC hardware and it was possible to dual boot with Windows.

Almost everyone I know who does technical/development work on a Mac has either a dual or triple boot option to allow for Windows and/or Linux.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

#PrayForMol found sort by date yet 😉
    I assume it’s much faster now you have fitted an SSD and 3x the RAM

zippykona

I just wish that the ipad people were given the job of making the mac.
    You can figure most things out on an ipad.
    A mac? No chance.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Just accquired a Mac’ is closed to new replies.