Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Jury Duty – Again!
  • donald
    Free Member

Bloody hell, two years to the minute after the last jury summons I’ve got my fourth summons. Edinburgh High Court (sitting in UCI Fort Kinnaird) again.

I’ve served on one and missed the ballot on two before now. I’m happy to do my civic duty but I’m getting a bit fed up with it. The one I served on was stressful enough even though it was just the sheriff court but I would have hated sitting through the last one at the High Court given how awful the charges were.

You can bet this one isn’t going to be unpaid parking tickets. Argh.

And sitting in a cinema for 2 weeks during Covid doesn’t fill me with joy.

Can any reader beat 4?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve done zero, never been asked. That beats 4 doesn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

Nope – 1, 30odd years ago. Only lasted 3 days, really dull.

perchypanther
    Free Member

My wife has received three separate summons. Each time when she was heavily pregnant.

Tell them you’re having a baby any day now. They let you off for that.

donald
    Free Member

I’m tempted to go on holdiday the week before so that I have to self-islolate 🙂

fasthaggis

4 times  in the last 20 yrs .

MustB coz I is un upstandin citeezin.

frankconway

Another no.
    Guilty; taken from here etc and thence to a place of execution to be hanged by the neck until thou art dead.

scuttler

And sitting in a cinema for 2 weeks during Covid doesn’t fill me with joy.

Do you get vouchers for the pick-n-mix?

matt_outandabout

Never been asked here either.

scruff9252

I’ve never received a summons – shame ‘cos I imagine it to be interesting to see the legal system operate*.

*Although I fear that through experiencing it, I would be disappointed in discovering it too to be a farce.

donald
    Free Member

I’m tempted to go on holdiday with Perchy the week before so that I get pregnant and have to self-islolate 🙂

ElShalimo

Zero – I got called up many years ago but it was the week of the exams on my MSc.
    I was excused but also told that if I was ever called up again I couldn’t get out of it.

If you display some ill-judged opinions on social media the week before the trial, will they relieve you of the burden?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m afraid that I can mo longer assist you in that regard.

A trip to the vet’s after panthercub number 3….

Klunk
    Free Member

3 week vat fraud here, hanging was too good for them.

DezB
    Free Member

Although I fear that through experiencing it, I would be disappointed in discovering it too to be a farce.

That indeed, wuz my experience

poly
    Free Member

I’ve never received a summons – shame ‘cos I imagine it to be interesting to see the legal system operate*.

*Although I fear that through experiencing it, I would be disappointed in discovering it too to be a farce.

In non-Covid times you can just turn up at (virtually) any trial, and observe justice in action. 95% of it will be dull as dishwater. I’m not sure you’d declare it a farce, but if you do decide its ridiculous, imagine you were accused of something you didn’t do before defining the better solution.

thepurist

In non-Covid times you can just turn up at (virtually) any trial, and observe justice in action. 95% of it will be dull as dishwater.

We did that in Boston (USA) – one of the group was a solicitor for the CPS so when we passed a court he said he wanted to see how it worked over there. It was indeed a a bit dull and we were trying to work out an exit plan when they called a recess, then the judge asked us for a chat to see why a bunch of tourists were visiting his court and he gave us the full lowdown on everything that was going on (drugs bust apparently).

furryaardvark
    Free Member

Undoubtedly, but you might get locked up for contempt

franksinatra

Never been called up. I’m 42 now. Is that just luck or should I be worried that they have profiled me as not fit for jury duty.

furryaardvark
    Free Member

an oap I know got called

she wrote to them saying she would love to do it, but

shes 77 and had to have a private room in order to do dialysis 4 times a day while everyone else waits

she was excused.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Once (defered). Then when it came round I had to turn down a chunk of work to keep my diary clear (pissing off the client to boot), then they sent me home at 11.59 so they didn’t have to pay me even a day.

Not so much a farce, just run by self important selfish ****.

razorrazoo

Was called up around 31/2 years ago, was at the Old Bailey but was sent home 3 days in as they ran out of trials, was called up again about 26 months later (so just outside the 2 year window when you can refuse.  Deferred until January this year and spent until Tuesday the second week sat in a waiting room before they sent me home again.  Both times I was worrying about being unfortunate to get a long trial as my work is not something where they can just drop another drone into my seat and 2 weeks off is bad enough.

stevie750

I have sat on two juries, one ned on ned violence and another domestic abuse. Been called up about six times, some just got cancelled and others i never got called to sit

stevie750

Both times I was worrying about being unfortunate to get a long trial 

In Glasgow if they think the trial will go on for more than a week they will try and tell you before. Not sure if that is the case everywhere

w00dster

47 and never been called up. I’d also quite like to get called up and see the mechanics of how the justice system works. As above though, I can imagine the novelty wears off quite quickly.

footflaps

I’d also quite like to get called up and see the mechanics of how the justice system works.

Badly I suspect.

Read The Secret Barrister….

stevie750

47 and never been called up. I’d also quite like to get called up and see the mechanics of how the justice system works.

Lots of waiting will quickly bore you.

gonefishin
    Free Member

As a juror you don’t get to see much more than you would if you were in the public gallery, less in some situations as you aren’t allowed to hear some things. I’ve only served once, a High Court case sitting in Aberdeen. Being a high court case it’s likely to be pretty serious I’m afraid.

That’s me done for 5 years now and I’ll likely be able to use a medical exemption from now on.

onehundredthidiot

Equal on 4, only actually made it once, sherrif court, not called. All in the space of 10 years.

MoreCashThanDash

51 and never been called. Having read the Secret Barristers book, I’m quite glad

swavis

42 and only been called once, Elgin Sheriff Court. It was for some rather unsavoury historical charges. They did tell us before that it was expected to run for more than a week. My boss wrote them a letter asking that I be excused if possible as I was needed at work to complete a critical order. I’m not sure if it worked but I wasn’t picked anyway thankfully.
    It lasted 3 days and was found unanimously guilty.

Flaperon

Never been asked. Wouldn’t object but I agree that four times is taking the piss a bit.

I imagine I’d feel marginally better being judged by 12 random people than a magistrate after reading The Secret Barrister.

I only know one magistrate and he’s a raving Covid-19 conspiracy theorist. Doesn’t inspire confidence that he could weigh up the evidence in Court.

fatmax

I’ve done Edinburgh Crown Court and ended up at jury spokesperson for a child abuse case. Went in the first morning all light hearted and thinking it would be a laugh and a scive…harrowing to listen to. The first prosecution witness was the defendant’s son 😪😕
    Would love to do it again as it was fascinating. But half the jurors made their mind up in the first ten minutes and didn’t give what they had to hear the attention that was needed.

fatmax

I’ve done Edinburgh Crown Court and ended up at jury spokesperson for a child abuse case. Went in the first morning all light hearted and thinking it would be a laugh and a scive…harrowing to listen to. The first prosecution witness was the defendant’s son 😪😕
    Would love to do it again as it was fascinating. But half the jurors made their mind up in the first ten minutes and didn’t give what they had to hear the attention that was needed.

downshep

Wear a square black hankie on yer heid during selection. You’ll either be jailed or excused duty.

scotroutes

Once. Rape case. I was convinced the verdict should have been not guilty but there was a small majority the other way. I felt really bad afterwards that I hadn’t done enough to persuade a couple of other folk to my way of thinking. The accused was Asian and a couple of folk on the jury had made up their minds he was guilty before we’d even heard any evidence. The guilty verdict put the shitters up me for a while but it was subsequently overturned on appeal.

Joe

My partner was dragged into one of Britain’s longest fraud trials a couple of years ago. It went on for months and months. The case only really came to an end eventually because the jury were threatening to mutiny, and a retrial was being threatened. The whole thing was a nightmare.

stevie750

You don’t want a fraud case, they go on for weeks.

maccruiskeen

In Glasgow if they think the trial will go on for more than a week they will try and tell you before

You don’t want a fraud case, they go on for weeks.

Indeed 😉

>http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-40258980

a trial so long the judge reached retirement part way through it

dyna-ti

Inelegible, and thank God for it.

I don’t envy anyone who has to do this, as its no box of chocolates and whatever you get might be utterly horrific and live with you for the rest of your life.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Jury Duty – Again!’ is closed to new replies.