Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • jumps and drop off training
  • andyfla
    Free Member

I am a forty something rider, been riding for 20 odd years and gradually come to the realisation I am rubbish when it comes to jumping or drop-offs, ie I chicken out on both,
    Anyone got any good recommendations for courses/training in and around the peak district (derby way) to let me improve ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

see jedi, uk bike skills. worth travelling for.

can’t recommend him highly enough.

popstar
    Free Member

Campbell Coaching is near you.

+1 Jedi, the man changed my riding big time.

jedi

thanks for your kind words guys 🙂

Trekster
    Zoolander
    Free Member

I’ve got a trip booked to see Jedi with a few riding buddies next month. Looking forward to being made awesome 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Around 2 hours from Derby.

toys19
    Free Member

Another vote for Jedi, ukbikeskills is where its at, he has built his own training ground now too. My riding has changed enormously since I saw him.

RayMazey
    Free Member
    DrP

Cheaper option is a few tinnies of Strongbow and some mate to egg you on….

DrP

Wookster

[list]Honestly go see Jedi the bloke is the puppies privates,(like the dog bo##ocks but better!!!!) you’ll be so much faster and confident following a session with him.

jedi

Its all easy when you know the answer 🙂

Wookster and toys19. High5

timpol
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/was-my-skills-course-worth-it

Tony every time, got me in the air more than I thought possible!!

_tom_
    Free Member

More Jedi praise here – he managed to get me over some gap jumps pretty easily 🙂 Unfortunately I haven’t got out on the bike much since my session but have a feeling the next ride will be a fast one!

Rorschach
    Free Member
    jedi

tom_ – Member

More Jedi praise here – he managed to get me over some gap jumps pretty easily
    cheers tom.. let me know how the riding is going

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Try Stu at forestfreeride.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Try Stu at forestfreeride.

GEDA
    Free Member

Why do you want to do drop offs and jumps? I do them but nothing huge but enough for the trails I ride and the people I ride with. (On my own a lot so I would not really want to push it anyway.) My point being that if you are riding with people who are doing that kind of stuff would it not be better to get some help from your mates and if not do you really want to be doing it on your own? I wouldn’t! Riding regularly with people just a bit better than you is one of the best ways to improve your skills. Anyway jumps and drop offs are not that common when riding most trails. Fast cornering and learning to not use your brakes is where its really at.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Cambell coaching

Bob and Ally are great been on two courses with Bob it really helped my riding skills.

keyses2

Another vote for Jedi, here’s a pic he took of me (30 something and female), couldnt do this before his coaching 🙂

It may be bigger than i would usually encounter on a trail but the skills are applicable and relevant to everywhere i’ve ridden and the improvements in my riding since being coached are massive, much more flowy and smoother now 🙂

jedi

would you do corners on your own geda?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Why do you want to do drop offs and jumps?”

I hate slowing down or even stopping, don’t you?

DarrenH

I need some jedi training! time to raid the kids money box! 😀

MrSparkle

There’s a man with an impressive beard… http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/

jedi

lol@darrenh 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

would it not be better to get some help from your mates

Because when I listened to my mates, they said ‘you don’t need to do anything, you just ride over it.’ Cue massive endo to face plant, concussion and the best black eye I’ve ever had. Next time I got my coaching from someone who knew what he was doing. They may be able to ride the jumps/drops but they don’t necessarily know how they do it

iain1775
    Free Member

andy
    Im in a similar boat & also in your area
    There is (was – not been up there for ages so it may have been ripped out) a nice little jump up at Shinning Cliff thats good for practising on, or get yourself to Alvaston BMX track and swallow some pride and ask the kids there to give you some tips

GEDA
    Free Member

There must be something you are comfortable with now, kerbs, steps? Jumps and drop offs are fun but not essential. Out of trail centre land how many jumps and big drops do you encounter that have a good landing without a big jumble of rocks for example on the landing. If you are riding with people who are already dropping like flies but you still do faceplants maybe some skills training would be good though.

I would like to do the same kind of thing but I kind of talked myself out of it due to the reasons above.

GW
    Free Member

Out of trail centre land how many jumps and big drops do you encounter that have a good landing without a big jumble of rocks for example on the landing.

I honestly can’t remember the last natural ride that didn’t include both jumps and drops of some sort. You must either only ride extremely dull trails or just not be looking hard enough.

DrP

Plus….with you new Skillz, and a shovel, you can ADD new features to trails!

Also George, there are LOADS of features (jumps/drops) that litter the woods/trails. It really is a case of “seek and thee shall find”!
    Classic example – long, boring rock garden to some…. Big kicker rock with other rocks to try and clear to others (note, the second option is the quicker!) A section of slow roots becomes a buzz and blur below your wheels when taken at speed with a bit of lift…

DrP

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I can think of plenty of trails where you don’t have to ride the drop off or jump – you can always roll the chicken line, but that almost always involves scrubbing a load of speed off – the more natural way is to fly across that gap jump or take off from the highest point of the drop off. So sure you don’t need to do drops and jumps but the chances are you will enjoy your riding more if you have the confidence to tackle these trail obstacles.

I’ve got plenty of mates that are very good at jumps and regularly hit things that I will probably never ever hit, but they were never able to give me the basic advice that I got in a group coaching session off jedi to show me where I was going wrong. Since then I’ve been able to hit many more jumps than I could previously with a lot more speed and confidence. I still have a mental block where gaps and doubles are concerned, which is why I’m pretty chuffed that my girlfriend bought me a coaching voucher for christmas.

Yeah, you might be able to teach yourself this stuff – plenty of people do, but if you are struggling it can be a lot better value for money than upgrading a part on your bike.

GEDA
    Free Member

How big though? Kerb sized? Step Sized, 1 meter or bigger? I used to live in Sheffield and quite happy with all the trails in the Peaks but there are not really that many drops bigger than 1/2 a meter high unless you go looking for them. I would not really call anything smaller than 50cm a drop as you can ride down it with just a bit of balance, letting the front wheel flop down with no need for much skill.

It is a bit a a fallacy that if you are not doing huge hucks and drops you are not doing proper mountain biking. I started off in the Cheviots that are dull as dish water for that type of thing but 100 times more epic than the Pleny run in Morzine for example.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I dont think many riders are looking for training on 50cm drops.

GEDA
    Free Member

There is also a big difference between a trail centre jump/drop and something that is not pre-prepared. Learning to drop onto a wet sloppy, rocky mess is a different skill to a nice smooth trail centre.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Most of the photos of people doing drops training are not much bigger than 50 cm drops. Nothing wrong with that my desk here is about 75 cm drop and tackling a drop with a face that big takes a little planning and making sure you have a good run out unless you’re on a big bike.

Maybe you have a different point of measurement for drops or a different idea of a drop from what I am thinking off and we’re discussing slightly different things as I’ve seen people talk about drops on this site which I would not consider to be a drop but a different trail feature.

GEDA
    Free Member

keyses2 picture is a good example of features you do not ever see outside a trail centre.

RayMazey
    Free Member

I have to disagree on the above,I have taught hundreds of mountain bikers (whatever they are) who have required coaching for 50cm drops.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I reckon a training course is a great idea. I spent a couple of hours with a coach on Aston Hill. I didn’t want to learn to jump or drop, just general advice on keeping speed and how to react to the different trail hazards.

It was nice to have confirmation of my good riding habits and corrections for my bad habits.

I was happy at the end of the course thinking I might have improved when a couple of the locals offered to ‘race’ me down the hill to see if I was any good. This was clearly a cue to humiliate myself so imagine my shock when I stayed with them right the way down. I was amazed how much quicker I was.

I also stayed injury free for the following two months which was a record at the time.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

[edit]so good it posted twice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘jumps and drop off training’ is closed to new replies.