Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 491 total)
  • Jubilee sentiment tracker
  • doris5000

Round my way, (inner city-ish Bristol) as far as I’ve noticed:

Pro:

One house on my road has a bit of bunting out the front
    The Fire Engine pub has a sign telling people to come in and celebrate the Jubilee.

Anti:

The Plough is doing an anti-monarchy Festival.
    The Red Lion is apparently doing likewise.

Everywhere else seems to be neutral – no street parties that I’m aware of.

What’s it like round your way?

footflaps

I think some bunting is going up tonight but I assume it’s for next WE’s annual street party rather than the Jubilee nonsense.

Obvs we’re away for the street party – way too much like organised fun for us….

Other than that, zilch.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Yet to go out, but the traffic map on google suggests it’s like the ’18 Royal wedding or the early days of the first Covid lockdown, absolutely deadly besides the M3 and M27/A31.

Great weather, great day for a bike ride!

reluctantjumper

At home there’s nothing going on. At my parents though it’s full-on flag-shagging everywhere.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m at my parent’s just now, small village in rural Lincolnshire.
    Most folks have bunting up, party on the village green on Saturday

Klunk
    Free Member

not a single flag or strip of bunting in our street. a couple round the corner but otherwise a non event here.

ernielynch

More than 140 streets in Croydon will close over the weekend for celebrations.

Croydon is proper patriotic.

footflaps

not a single flag or strip of bunting in our street. a couple round the corner but otherwise a non event here.

Makes me proud to be British!

igm

Against monarchy in principle – except that can you imagine who we’d have as head of state if we voted for them?

Maybe if she started paying tax properly including inheritance tax?  And didn’t claim benefits.

Street party here tomorrow.  Beers and barbecue on a bank holiday?  I’m not going to bother arguing and upsetting folk.

stumpyjon

A couple of houses out 100 on the estate with some plastic (single use) flags and bunting. Apparently there’s going to be a picnic on the park on Sunday. Pretty low key here really, think most people just grateful for the long weekend.

BillMC

Two houses in my street of 62 houses. One next door, invited us round for a celebratory drink. I said we were busy on Sunday, didn’t like to say at an anti-jubilee drink down the Eccy Road.

cookeaa

Bit of bunting and some union flags round our way, not the most offensive thing really, I just hope people have a jolly fun long weekend rather than a triple piss up mega-brawl…

reeksy

There was an interview on the radio in Australia this morning with the new federal government’s minister for a republic. Seemed a reasonable chap.

dyna-ti

I’ve not heard of anything official in Glasgow, though I expect the Ranger supporting pubs of the East end will have something laid on.

Probably some Jubilee inspired bar brawl.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nothing I can see in Ash (Surrey) other than my local having live music and invitation to come along. And estate agents windows with union jack flags.
    The local Co-Op has a bigs sign with Union Jacks on it and a LCD font styled opening hours list for the next 4 days saying they are open exactly the same times as they normally would be.
    Which is nice.

cheese@4p

God save the Queen
    A fascist regime
    They made you a moron
    Potential H-bomb

God save the Queen
    She ain’t no human being
    There is no future
    In England’s dreaming

Don’t be told about what you want
    Don’t be told about what you need
    No future, no future, no future for you

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

God save the Queen
    Tourists are money
    But our figurehead
    Is not what she seems

God save history
    God save your mad parade
    Oh Lord, have mercy!
    All crimes are paid

When there’s no future, how can there be sin?
    We’re the flowers in the dustbin
    We’re the poison in the human machine
    We’re the future, we’re the future

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

God save the Queen
    We mean it, man
    We love our Queen
    God saves

No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future, no future
    No future for you

igm

We mean it, man

Always thought it was Ma’am not man.  If I’m wrong, my wording is better and more sneery.

I’ve not heard of anything official in Glasgow, though I expect the Ranger supporting pubs of the East end will have something laid on.

Hadn’t realised it had got so bad at Ibrox that they could only afford one Ranger now. 😉

cheese@4p

Rotten sneers Maaaaaaan
    Mocking hippies

oldschool

Quite a few houses with bunting in our street (cup de sac) and assume people will be having a beer/chat/bbq but we’re away at our caravan so haven’t got involved. If we were there I’d have a beer with folk.
    The village near the caravan is having something in the village park. Bouncy castle, face painting and bbq etc. we’ll head over for a couple of hours then we’ve got a table booked in the village pub for food.
    I’m not against it, and for someone born into it and who probably didn’t expect to ever end up in the role she’s in, I reckon she’s done a reasonable job and yes Liz will be getting the best medical care, but she’s still “doing her job” at an age most people have well retired.
    Although for me the best bit is an extra BH.

igm

@cheese@4p you appear to be correct. My version’s better though. We don’t need to sneer at hippies these days.

TiRed

Put out some bunting, will head into town to see the fireworks this evening over the castle. Needless to say, Windsor has been carpet bombed by bunting and flags. The builders opposite seem not to have got the Bank Holiday message, however.

Cougar

There’s a massive flag hanging outside the local town hall. It’s advertising the annual Duck Race on Saturday.*

The Eccentric Old Boy™ next door told me he was going to go put the bunting up. I thought “here we go,” expecting an explosion in a flag factory. His efforts are… well, he tried I suppose. I’ll take a photo in a bit.

(* – walking past the Duck Race banner earlier this week, I said to my partner “hey, I should enter, could win that! Ducks can’t run that fast, surely?” She gave me a withering** look and said “don’t be stupid, it’ll be swimming.)

(** – insert obvious joke here)

Cougar

(cup de sac)

I believe that’s outlawed in several countries nowadays.

DickBarton

Not much up where I am, but a few shops and the like have some bunting in the shops. I’ve no interest in it either way, so for those who are celebrating, they seem to be enjoying themselves, for those not, they seem to be enjoying getting annoyed, but everyone seems quite happy with a day off work (or most people are off work).

Given how anti-social I am, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a street party going on outside the door – I wouldn’t notice it.

Houns

I’m sat in a pub beer garden that is festooned in plastic red white and blue tat. I’m drinking a special edition beer (Wye Valley Majesty) and I’m wearing a red white and blue shirt.
    I’m off to a Jubilee party shortly.

I wanted to try this beer.
    My 5 year old niece has invited me to her Jubilee party (she wanted one as missed the one at school last week due to chicken pox) she instructed me to wear red white and blue.

I’m feeling rather self conscious and wish I could be out on my bike somewhere. At least I’m listening to the cricket

AD

Plenty of bunting in village. Most people who live on our lane are having a little ‘street party’ tomorrow (including my wife and parents-in-law). I’ll be out on my bike.

Everyone happy with that arrangement 😁

Its nice and sunny up here at the moment so hopefully everyone will have a good time.

trailmonkey

Wall to wall forelock tugging in my little corner of Devon.
    Party on the village green, bunting or flags on most houses.
    I’m wavering between whatever floats your boat and sneering condescension

johnx2
    Free Member

Next door’s got flags and bunting, for their BBQ on Sat. (Last Sunday’s was for their masonic/daily mail readers’ friendship and support group. I was finishing building a garden store on the boundary and heard more nonsense than is good for the blood pressure about the EU and wokery. So crude it could have been drama students asked to improvise round the word gammon. Popped my head over to apologise for a few sounds of sawing “this is no way to spend a Sunday…”)

Waddya gonna do? (In our case, be away.)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Would wearing my https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/jerseys-and-tops/anc-halfords-retro-cycling-jersey-m-670167.html jersey be a suitable subtle nod to Liz on today’s ride, without going too mad? 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Combined with a village festival out our way. A Beacon being lit tonight and other stuff going on

Lots of bunting and stupid weird knitted stuff on the village green

eddiebaby
    Free Member

She gave me a withering** look

Appalling. I’ll send you my bill later.

BruceWee

didn’t like to say at an anti-jubilee drink down the Eccy Road.

I’m intrigued how you ensure everyone knows you’re having an anti-jubilee pint and not a pro-jubilee pint. I’d hate to for people to think I was enjoying myself because of the jubilee rather than in spite of it.

csb

Yoga belt of Brissle. More Ukrainian flags than union jacks. Drove through Monmouthshire this morning, quite a few bunting adorned pubs.

Klunk
    Free Member

just got back from a 60km road ride through one of the Saxcobergs shires, 1 in 20 ish house with flags/bunting (bar one village where it was 50::50) and only 2 of 8 villages had something on and none of the pubs had decoration.

Klunk
    Free Member

locally anyway there seems to be a strong correlation between houses that have OTT gaudy crimbo decorations and flags celebrating Brenda the german tourist.

ernielynch

Just had several flypasts of military helicopters in formation. Never seen anything like that before, more impressive than I might have imagined.

RoterStern
    Free Member

*looks out of window over German city* No nothing here! 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of bunting, flags, parties and village show type events round here. No hysterical flag shagging thank god, just people using it for a get together.

Very disciplined group from Derby Mercury passed me out in the lanes this morning, 10 of them in perfect two up formation. The riders at the back had Union flags flying, just to make any anti cyclist gammon drivers heads explode.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just driven Sheff to manc and back to pick son up from uni.
    Signs so far- a woman walking a corgi in burnage. Not Liz Windsor.
    A few flags and bunting strips along the A6 through high lane disley furnace vale. Including some very faded union flags in the window of the funeral directors. Look like they’ve been draped over a few coffins over the last several years.
    Hope valley is festooned in red white and blue from castleton to hathersage.
    The Peak District is full by the way. If you were thinking of setting off now, you’re too late…
    I’m wearing my favourite smiths t shirt from the 1985 album whose name we dare not mention these last few weeks.
    Been invited to a garden party of sorts this afternoon at friends of ours who are rather more royalist than us so needed something to wear. They got tickets for the party in the place on Saturday in the draw 🤮
    Just spammed the group chat with those lyrics up there ^^^^ as was listening to it on Spotify as another message came in…
    Hip hip hooray!

theotherjonv

where do you live ernie, just saw some helicopters a couple of mins after you (just North of Guildford)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 491 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.