Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • jetsurf – whats all this then? Good idea or nighmare for 'real' surfers?
  • neilforrow

Standup jetski really, I’d love one but my mates who surf have flatly condemned it.

http://www.jet-surf.com/en/

jam-bo

looks fun but anti-social.

but then most surfers are pretty anti-social…

nickc

why not looks cool fun.

but then most surfers are pretty anti-social…

yep

jimster01

Looks ok I suppose.

Don’t think real surfers will be that bothered at breaks by them, spend more time watching out for SUPer’s these days.

julians
    Free Member

Its not a new concept, powered surf boards have been around for probably 20 years or so,but never really seemed to gain any traction. I guess the tech is getting smaller/lighter/cheaper so maybe that’ll make it more attractive, cant see it though.

I guess these could be popular with super yacht owners to add to their fleet of water toys (jet skis’s,ribs, those ‘jet pack’ things , sea bobs etc.), dont see them being popular with actual surfers though.

jimjam
    Free Member

I can’t imagine Troy Lee moto shorts being the best apparel for water sports. But then I wouldn’t know.

annebr
    Free Member

Faster way to get back out to the waves though. Less paddling.

sweepy
    Free Member

Surfers seem to be the ramblers of the sea, think its all for their exclusive enjoyment.

hot_fiat

MMM two stroke oil right in the breaking swell. Nice. We love that. I particularly like the way it sticks to surf wax and the stinkwheel gases linger for about an hour. Then there’s the noise. Lovely. Can’t see what’s not to like.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surfers seem to be the ramblers of the sea, think its all for their exclusive enjoyment.

How so?

Bit like MTB or road riding there’s a set of unwritten rules, which thanks to the internet have been written down. They include such ohnerous things as “Don’t drop in on top of someone” comparable to the MTB’ing principal of “Don’t try and ride the same bit of singletrack at exactly the same time as someone else, otherwise known as crash into them” and “no pissing your wetsuit in the van”, a bit like “no pissing in the van”.

Can’s see anyone having a problem with them, as long as they don’t have engines*, otherwise that’d be like trying to go for a quiet bike ride with some MX’ers.

*irony

ampthill

Just looks like a bad idea. Anti social and noisey

Surfers as ramblers?

I see them more as mountain bikers

funkrodent

Most surfers I’ve met are fine. They only have an issue when some prat (often me) tries to get himself killed bodyboarding as they shoot down a towering lip. Once had a board’s fins crack me on the top of my head as it swept over my last-minute, panicked duck!

There’s even more idiots in the sea, literally out of their depths, than there are on mountain bikes and occasionally regular surfers have to rescue them/fish their bodies out of the water.

As mentioned above I feel the same about motorised surfboards as I do about motorised mountain bikes. Bad idea.

Now a pedallo powered surfboard, there’s an idea that has legs… 😉

epicyclo

neilforrow – Member
    Standup jetski really, I’d love one but my mates who surf have flatly condemned it.

It’s to let fat boys zip out to where the real surf is so they can then get into trouble because they haven’t put in the hours getting the muscle memory or skills to be safe in the surf.

There will be drownings and rescues.

Also some surfers will have a ball on them. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘jetsurf – whats all this then? Good idea or nighmare for 'real' surfers?’ is closed to new replies.