Viewing 29 posts - 161 through 189 (of 189 total)
  • jerry adams arrested
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Yeah in Gaelic. Doesn’t he know that the official language in NI is English ?

EDIT : Now in English the GFA recognises Irish and and ulster scots as “part of the cultural wealth of Northern Ireland”, Plus you also have the European charter on for regional and minority languages to factor. Nothing wrong with him using Irish.

craigxxl
    Free Member

seosamh77
    quite a loose definition of term “civilian” you seem to be using there!

No. Civilian is the correct definition. I’m sure 3 year old Johnathan Ball and 12 year old Tim Parry wouldn’t have given a toss for your definition if they hadn’t been murdered or were they legislate targets too.

British Army, RUC and other forces lost over 1000. PIRA, INLA and other republican terrorists groups over 300 and loyalists terror groups half of that.
    Innocent civilians were the biggest casualties in the troubles. This doesn’t include the increased suicide rate there or the joyriders and other criminals who were knee capped as they brought the RUC onto the streets.

seosamh77
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member
    seosamh77
    quite a loose definition of term “civilian” you seem to be using there!
    No. Civilian is the correct definition. I’m sure 3 year old Johnathan Ball and 12 year old Tim Parry wouldn’t have given a toss for your definition if they hadn’t been murdered or were they legislate targets too.

British Army, RUC and other forces lost over 1000. PIRA, INLA and other republican terrorists groups over 300 and loyalists terror groups half of that.
    Innocent civilians were the biggest casualties in the troubles. This doesn’t include the increased suicide rate there or the joyriders and other criminals who were knee capped as they brought the RUC onto the streets.
    Your comment that the IRA killed 2,000 civilians is factually incorrect.

Responsibility for killing
    Responsible party No.
    Republican paramilitary groups 2057
    Loyalist paramilitary groups 1019
    British security forces 363
    Persons unknown 82
    Irish security forces 5
    Total 3526

Of those killed by British security forces:
    187 (~51.5%) were civilians
    145 (~39.9%) were members of republican paramilitaries
    18 (~4.9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
    13 (~3.5%) were fellow members of the British security forces

Of those killed by republican paramilitaries:
    1080 (~52%) were members of the British security forces
    728 (~35%) were civilians
    187 (~9%) were members of republican paramilitaries
    56 (~2.7%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
    10 (~0.4%) were members of the Irish security forces

Of those killed by loyalist paramilitaries:
    868 (~85.4%) were civilians
    93 (~9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
    41 (~4%) were members of republican paramilitaries
    14 (~1.3%) were members of the British security forces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles#Casualties

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

33tango – Member

Not a crime but your reaction was one of horror!

“One of horror” 😆

I said :

Yeah in Gaelic. Doesn’t he know that the official language in NI is English ?

EDIT : Now in English

Explain to me where the “horror” is ?

Are you always this hysterical btw ?

seosamh77 – Member

Nothing wrong with him using Irish.

Which begs the question why did he end up giving almost all the press conference, and all the Q&A, in English, if there’s nothing wrong with him using Irish ?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Would the majority of the 2000 killed by PIRA better suit your sensibilities or do you wish to argue they were not civilians?

seosamh77
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    Nothing wrong with him using Irish.

Which begs the question why did he end up giving almost all the press conference, and all the Q&A, in English, if there’s nothing wrong with him using Irish ?Because he was speaking to an international audience.

seosamh77
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member
    Would the majority of the 2000 killed by PIRA better suit your sensibilities or do you wish to argue they were not civilians?

I don’t understand your question here?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Because he was speaking to an international audience.

And Gaelic is the international language ?

🙂

BTW most people beyond the UK and Ireland couldn’t give a toss about Jerry Adams, and most will never have heard of him. Keep a bit of perspective if you can.

33tango

Why are you so against the Irish language dude?

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    And Gaelic is the international language ?

No, he was clearly addressing his own people before the rest of the world. Irish usage is growing in the likes of belfast.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    BTW most people beyond the UK and Ireland couldn’t give a toss about Jerry Adams, and most will never have heard of him. Keep a bit of perspective if you can.

I see the problem here, you know you can’t really comment on the content of his statement can you?

Carry on, play the man not the ball! :mrgreen:

slowoldman

I thought the Good Friday agreement was supposed to put an end to all this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why are you so against the Irish language dude?

How do you know what I’m against ? I’m not against Chinese but would have said “Yeah in Chinese” had he given the press conference in Chinese.

Anyway your hysterical reaction at me pointing out that Adams was speaking in Gaelic was initially amusing, now it’s time to let go. Dude.

33tango

You drew attention to the fact that he was speaking Irish, commenting that English is the official language of NI. Thereby implying that he should only speak English.

Gerry can speak whatever language he wants and will most likely continue to do so.

Night, night dude 🙂

Hysterically yours

33Tango

seosamh77
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    I thought the Good Friday agreement was supposed to put an end to all this.

Tory government, init…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

I see the problem here, you know you can’t really comment on the content of his statement can you?

Carry on, play the man not the ball!

Of course I can comment on the content of his statement, the bit in English at least. I’m not sure how useful it would be though, but here goes anyway – it was obviously a well thought out statement that made all the points that Adams thought were important to make.

There…..was that helpful ?

BTW I’m quite supportive of Adams, this is what I said yesterday on this thread :

ernie_lynch – Member

I have no opinion on Adams culpability btw, and I do recognise his invaluable contribution to the peace process.

I actually feel that he more than anyone else was responsible for the PIRA abandoning the armed struggle and thereby laying the foundations for peace in NI.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I actually feel that he more than anyone else was responsible for the PIRA abandoning the armed struggle and thereby laying the foundations for peace in NI.

This is true. And for the fragile peace to continue, it may be necessary to forego “justice” for many atrocities committed. No matter how unpalatable that may be for some, no matter their hue, be it green or orange. The Haass commission was taking steps to look at other methods of approaching unsolved crimes before the talks broke down around New Year. It would be good to see everybody sit back down and continue these talks. As Adams said, the only way is forward for NI.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    seosamh77 – Member

Carry on, play the man not the ball!

Of course I can comment on the content of his statement, the bit in English at least. I’m not sure how useful it would be though, but here goes anyway – it was obviously a well thought out statement that made all the points that Adams thought were important to make.

There…..was that helpful ?

BTW I’m quite supportive of Adams, this is what I said yesterday on this thread :

ernie_lynch – Member
    I have no opinion on Adams culpability btw, and I do recognise his invaluable contribution to the peace process.

I actually feel that he more than anyone else was responsible for the PIRA abandoning the armed struggle and thereby laying the foundations for peace in NI.I was only at the wind up, the thread has clearly taken a silly turn, I ‘ve noticed your views on adams before. 😉

sv

Perfect timing all this:

Sinn Fein – just before the election, the ‘poor Gerry’ vote will help them.
    DUP – bit of SF bashing doesn’t hurt their cause.

Keep those 2 happy and they can keep Stormont blocked with their cosy status quo. Keep their jobs/expenses/cars etc.

Its too easy for them playing the ordinary people of Ulster!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So Adam’s arrest was a joint Sinn Fein/DUP conspiracy to protect their jobs, expenses, and cars ?

Who would have thought it eh ?

sv

Not saying how it happened just it suits DUP/SF and its Ulster politics so it is never how it is made appear.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    ….BTW most people beyond the UK and Ireland couldn’t give a toss about Jerry Adams…

He’s pretty well known in Oz

tony07
    Free Member

He was actually speaking in Gaeilge, or Irish, not Gaelic as mentioned before.

I was listening to his speech. He was thanking people for their support and also enforcing his will for peace on the island. Can’t tell you what else was being said as the bbc starting commenting over it. He was never going to give the full press conference in Irish as the common language is English. Some ridiculous statements being made.

Personally I feel this was a backward step. I felt he could have been interviewed under caution without the huge media frenzy around it. All it has done, for the time being anyway has pissed off both sides of the fence. One sides saying how dare they arrest that man, whereas the others saying how date they release him. This is just heightening tensions at a time when things aren’t really the best. With the failure of the haas talks etc.

You’ve also got to remember, a lot of people can’t see beyond what’s happened to their own ‘side’. Until people can acknowledge that both sides in the conflict did some terrible things and not everything was lawful then there is always going to be tension.

Hopefully things keep progressing as they have been, and I never have to be stopped by a soldier to question where I’m going again.

But this is just my opinion. Everyone’s entitled to their own but don’t feel you have to belittle someone because they have a different view on things.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Some ridiculous statements being made.

What are these ridiculous statements ?

btw :

Gaelic

a Celtic language that includes the speech of ancient Ireland and the dialects that have developed from it, especially those usually known as Irish, Manx, and Scots Gaelic.

Irish language

Irish (Gaeilge), also known as Irish Gaelic or Gaelic

When we speak in English we say that the French speak french, not français. That rule applies to other languages.

ninfan
    Free Member

Perhaps Gerry could use his influence with the IRA (despite never having been a member himself, obviously…) to guarantee that no action would be taken against Michael McConville if he spoke to the police?

seosamh77
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Perhaps Gerry could use his influence with the IRA (despite never having been a member himself, obviously…) to guarantee that no action would be taken against Michael McConville if he spoke to the police?

Gerry Adams influence with the ‘dissidents’ is pretty much non existent. The Provo’s pretty much no longer exist anymore. Certainly aren’t active. That’s not to say that former Provo’s haven’t joined some of the ‘dissidents’ but like I say Adams influence over them is non existent, they view him as a traitor. And as I mentioned earlier are pretty much incapable of understanding the long game Adams is playing.(interestingly if you question anti gfa people on it they have virtually no real solution forward and haven’t really moved beyond early 70s rhetoric.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What are these ridiculous statements ?

Other than the pointless bitchfest about Gaelic, there hadn’t been much ridiculous in the thread. Some utterly predictable rhetoric from familiar names. Thankfully Zulu pitched in something ridiculous with his last post.

konabunny
    Free Member

Perhaps more usefully and relevantly, there is an on-topic Ask Me Anything thread going on on reddit right now –
    “My name is Jo Berry. My father was killed in a terrorist attack during the Troubles in Northern Ireland and now I work with the ex-terrorist, Pat Magee, who planted the bomb. Ask Me Anything. “

My name is Jo Berry. My father was killed in a terrorist attack during the Troubles in Northern Ireland and now I work with the ex-terrorist, Pat Magee, who planted the bomb. Ask Me Anything. from IAmA

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Other than the pointless bitchfest about Gaelic, there hadn’t been much ridiculous in the thread.

I somehow doubt that tony07 was referring to himself when he made the comment ! 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 161 through 189 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘jerry adams arrested’ is closed to new replies.