Home Forums Chat Forum I’ve got a truffle and don’t know what to do with it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I’ve got a truffle and don’t know what to do with it
    BigJohn

A nephew has just been given a truffle dog by a philanthropic landowner he works for who has an estate in England that has truffles.

He dropped by and gave us this. 128 grams of truffle goodness. (That’s a metric rule by the way) it smells kind of nice.

Now, I’ve always thought that I didn’t like truffles, in fact I’ve thought there are 2 kinds of people, those who love them and those who think they’ve got diesel on their fingers when they eat them. Truffle oil and truffle mash seem a bit nasty.

I’m a very good cook, adventurous, very keen on wild mushrooms, (fresh or dried and make a beautiful stock with dried porcini) and a lover of good food so what should I do with it?

colournoise

Simple pasta or risotto are the obvious suggestions. Think it was Rick Stein I saw visiting a truffle hunter in Italy where they just simply fried eggs and grated truffle over the top, which seemed weirdly cool.

joshvegas
    Free Member

scoff them with the rest of the celebrations

colournoise

For pasta, I’m imagining a carbonara style base sauce but with truffle and mushroom rather than guanciale and pecorino flavouring it.

chambord

pasta ai funghi is my fav so I’d probably do that and shave some on top :chefs-kiss:

Kramer
    Free Member

I’d just do a very simple risotto and grate it on top. Anything too flavourful and you’ll lose the taste of the truffle.

BigJohn

I’m barbecuing a big chunky sirloin steak and two pork chops tonight (for 4 of us) so maybe the truffle would be wasted in the red wine jus that will accompany it. But there again it’s a big bugger and it’ll take ages to get through otherwise.

Kramer
    Free Member

But there again it’s a big bugger and it’ll take ages to get through otherwise.

Just use loads of it in one dish then?

I think you can store it with eggs and it’ll flavour them.

wooobob

Pickle it?

Kramer
    Free Member

I reckon there’s about £60 worth of truffle there?

As with any windfall, I’d be decadent and stick it all in one dish. You’ll likely never get the chance again.

Only downside might be that it could be the start of an expensive habit.

timmys

First two threads on this forum; dude gifted a 128 g truffle and someone with 22% employer pension contribution.

FML

blokeuptheroad

This reminds of that posh Fast Show character. “So I was rummaging in the attic and I found the original copy of the bible, which was nice”.

BigJohn

128 grams. Yes, I think that’s about right.

kayak23

beer-2852418_3e847_hd

BillMC

I’d use a bit then cut the remainder into segments and freeze it in a jar. Lucky you.

mrchrist

Nice on a bit of Brie.

alchiltern
    Free Member

Drop some shavings into some runny honey, leave to steep. Eat with some strong/ rich cheese.

theotherjonv

I was hoping this was going to be about a home counties based tribute band with one of those close but not the same names

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We%27ve_Got_a_Fuzzbox_and_We%27re_Gonna_Use_It

catfood
    Free Member

One of the nicest meals I had in Italy was just tagliatelli with black truffle, I’d say it was probably just a bit of butter and garlic and a then black truffle grated on top then some maybe a bit of parmesan, bit of a guess but very simple.

We went round Umbria and there’s truffles in everything, they even did truffle ice cream.

This recipe from Jamie looks nice, tho I wouldn’t be making my own pasta.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta/umbrian-pasta/

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.