Home Forums Chat Forum It’s stout season.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • It’s stout season.
    matt_outandabout

I’m currently supping a Five Kingdoms “Natures Fire” I bought back in June. Very yummy, ideal for the cold air outside…

PXL_20240912_171614895

The cupboard has a wee line of Dark Islands by Orkney brewery. My favourite – like drinking dark chocolate by a crackling fire.

What have you got?

kelvin

What have you got?

Gout?

I love these kinds of beers… but I save them for the proper long dark nights… not quite there yet.

chambord

I bought back in June

Fair play, mine never make it past the weekend

kormoran
    Free Member

Oh good call.

I’m a dark island fan, it’s a great drink and fantastic with a venison casserole or a steak pie

Currently have a couple of black isle brewery oat stouts in the larder to try. One is af so I’m quite excited about that

rOcKeTdOg

Mild drinker all year round. I hate the 6%+ stouts that seem all the rage these days, give me a session strength mild with some flavour anyday

kormoran
    Free Member

I hate the 6%+

This is me, really dislike the high percentage beers of any kind. First thing I check is the alcohol content, under 4 and it’s in the basket. Especially annoying is the strong IPAs. Just no.

matt_outandabout

This was one of my highlights of my Ireland holiday this summer..Better than Guinness or Murphy’s.

PXL_20240714_180643624

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Here’s my recommended electric soup

slowoldman

Lovely. There was a nice porter in the local on Monday night too.

matt_outandabout

Here’s my recommended electric soup

Oooooo

kelvin

Love a dark mild all year around… that’s a whole different thing.

tuboflard

If you haven’t tried it, the Thornbridge series of Necessary Evil stout is superb. Pity the Pedro Ximenez is sold out as that was incredible but the others are very special too.

https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/products/necessary-evil-13-abv-bourbon-barrel-aged-stout-375ml-bottle

jeffl

If anyone is near Chesterfield, I can highly recommend this as a nice Scottish style mild.

Candleriggs – 5.8% mild

For a nice porter I had this the other week and it was lush.

https://untappd.com/b/brampton-brewery-1851-porter/4808168

kormoran
    Free Member

I can confirm the black isle brewery af oat stout is pretty nice. I had it cold so am wondering if room temperature would be even better

goldfish24

This is me, really dislike the high low percentage beers of any kind. First thing I check is the alcohol content, under 4 over 5 and it’s in the basket. Especially annoying is the strong IPAs weak mild’s. Just no.

FTFY :)

kormoran
    Free Member

Ha ha!

Matt_SS_xc

LN_725029_BP_11 big fan of this one. As wholesome as they come….

w00dster

10%….jeez!
    Love my Stout, but I’m on a beer free diet…this thread is killing me!

lambchop
    Free Member

Guinness 0.0

DougD

Newbarns Stout on draft in their taproom (Edinburgh) is delicious 47F0A65A-7D4E-49F5-A152-B42B39E0894A

reeksy

I’m currently supping a Five Kingdoms “Natures Fire” I bought back in June. Very yummy, ideal for the cold air outside…

I approve.

@goldfish24
    is on the money here.

The word stout was originally applied to mean strong. It then got applied to porter, so stout porter was a stronger style of porter.

I find stouts that are 5% or less boring.

I like the Guinness West Indies Porter that you can get in the supermarket (Aldi, Waitrose, etc) at the moment. Knocks any other type of Guinness way out of the park. It’s quite similar to Cooper’s Best Extra Stout that is my go to camping beer in Australia.

IMG_8323

jonnyrockymountain

I do like vocation brewery for there stouts especially the new ones coming up this time of year

defblade
    Free Member

Smog Rocket.

Reminds me of drinking around a campfire, happy days

sprootlet
    Free Member

Vocation did an imperial kirsch and a coffee stout (which is a collaboration with Kirkstall brewery).  OMG they are fantastic, in winter we’ll share a can along with my homemade chocolate brownie – so very good together.

My favourite is the kirsch, it is expensive but the cherry flavour is natural rather than artificial tasting.

Siren brewery also do some lovely stouts.

kelvin

My favourite is the kirsch

It’s amazing. Wise to use small glasses though….. = ;7)

nickingsley

Red Willow Brewery in Macclesfield used to do a cracking range of stouts. Regrettably only the Breakfast Stout (Vietnamese coffee obviously) persists, shame.

IMG_1052

Restless, an Imperial Vietnamese milk coffee porter, was very good.

nickingsley

I often enjoyed a Guinness after a ride in the pub but, with the exception of Spoons, it’s silly expensive now.

I had a Nitrosurge unit bought for me as a present. As far as I can tell there is a small improvement in taste/texture but the increase in cost over normal canned Guinness is nutz.

danieljohnreynolds

@matt_outandabout +1 for O’Hara’s Leann Follain – best ‘normal’ non-special brew stout we have over here IMO

TiRed

Guinness zero here too. But I’d like to try that 10%, just for the pun value (I’d probably manage a quarter of the bottle). Actually I like string Belgian beers. But I REALLY like Guinness zero.

pictonroad

the Camden Brewery stout is excellent and a marked contrast to the rest of their range.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just finishing off one of these. Very tasty

https://i0.wp.com/jollygoodbeer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Siren-Serendipity-CAN-min.png?fit=1024%2C1024&ssl=1

willard

Any season is stout season, but autumn just means you can spend a bit more time with it warming up in front of a bonfire.

I was in town this week and went through Stigbergets collection of stouts at their bar on Söder and, if I am honest, they were really nice. So nice, I may actually brew a stout this weekend. I did just bottle the cider, so the fermenter is free…

For those that may visit Stockholm: https://stigbergetsfot.se/

Try the burger, it’s good.

onewheelgood

I know it’s unfashionable around here to like anything produced by BrewDog but I’m enjoying this

Black Heart, on the other hand, is watery, undrinkable rubbish.

jimdubleyou

I know it’s unfashionable around here to like anything produced by BrewDog but I’m enjoying this

Yeah, I’ve mostly stopped buying it, but the Marshmallow Stout (Rocky Road) is a lovely pudding drink.

Siren and Camden ( a new one on me ) will be getting a look in soon…

sprootlet
    Free Member

@ Kelvin – you have discerning taste in your choice of stouts

Forgot to mention Northern Monk have some nice ones too although they lack the variety of Siren and Vocation as they all tend to be more chocolate and caramel.

Can’t believe I forgot the Vocation tonka bean stout for vanilla loveliness.

desperatebicycle

I know it’s unfashionable around here to like anything produced by BrewDog..

By coincidence and inspired by this thread, i purchased a 4pack of Brewdog Black Heart stout in my local Tesco express. Not a great deal of choice in there, but I like the Lost Lager, so thought I’d try it. Haven’t had a chance yet though!

As for the strange folk saying everything over 6% is horrible. From my experience there are a heck of a lot of different flavours at every %age. I can’t stand these trendy modern ipas, for example, but there’s Golden Pride *hic* and many others to enjoy that are nothing like that. But hey ho, each to their own

scaredypants

Oh, not an early chub club then ?

didnthurt

The Anglers Arm’s own stout in Kielder is very good. It does mean you’d need to go there to sample it, road trip?

didnthurt

Best stout IME is Old Engine Oil by Harviestoun.

Old Engine Oil Craft Stout

It comes in small bottles and is not cheap. It is quite strong at 6% but does not taste it. Fantastic chilled. Don’t see it in the shops very often though.

didnthurt

Black Sheep Milk stout is good.

Brewdog’s Black Heart is good, I might even choose it over Guinness in cans and in draught.

Belhaven Black is also good.

I miss when you could get Beamish on draught. Murphy’s not so much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.