Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)
  • It’s Pride Month
  • theotherjonv

I know the NB thread got derailed and eventually closed, but I was sent this this morning and thought I’d share.

“Having an open mind and an open heart is a good place to start”

May be an image of text

MoreCashThanDash

Those boards are always spot on and 👍

binners

Difficult to argue with any of those sentiments

Many people will, obviously

anagallis_arvensis

It’s a bit shit isn’t it, I read that and think “yeah, obviously, doesn’t need saying”. Then you hear some people talk and you realise!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It’s a bit shit isn’t it, I read that and think “yeah, obviously, doesn’t need saying”. Then you hear some people talk and you realise!

I remember a conversation with a colleague when I was working up in Manchester and there was one transgender lady in the team. The man I was talking to was an intelligent and rational person in most respects but when there was a ‘Pride’ event I caught him sneering at the posters which were similar to the one above.

I talked him through line by line asking which one he objected to and obviously there was no objection to any of them. I then asked if he was happy now that people could have different lives and perspectives to his own and he replied “Yeah but they are just wrong, everyone knows it but they are all pretending and don’t tell anyone I said that because I will pretend too”

I really struggled to understand his mindset

uselesshippy
    Free Member

His mindset is easy to understand wca, he’s struggling with repressing his true sexuality.

footflaps

“Yeah but they are just wrong”

I will always remember the gay part of sex education at secondary school. Mr Lesick took the session on sexuality, he was a really popular and charismatic teacher. The ‘gay’ bit basically went some people are gay, which is OK, however I find it utterly disgusting and they have no right to live on God’s clean earth. Genuinely put the fear of God into me, can still remember that session 35 years later. Thankfully, things have moved on a bit since then in most places (various African countries being the exception).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I find it strange when people say things like “It is against God’s word”.

Has anyone actually heard from God recently?
    Has anyone checked what his views really are?

They appear to believe that something written down by a bunch of men several centuries ago is the “Word of God” and cannot be questioned.

It seems to me that it is the word of a bunch of men several centuries ago.

zippykona

The word of God is often spouted by clean shaven men.
    “You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard” (Leviticus 19:27); and, “They shall not make any bald place on their heads, nor shall they shave the edges of their beards nor make any cuttings in their flesh”
    Just how do you decide which parts of the bible to follow?

kelvin

The ‘gay’ bit basically went some people are gay, which is OK, however I find it utterly disgusting and they have no right to live on God’s clean earth.

Did you go to the same school as me? Mind you… the comments on masturbation from our teacher were even more troubling. Doubt it stopped anyone, they just all thought less of him.

binners

It’s worth remembering, as its quite mental really, but the Minister for Equality is Liz Truss. Just another example of the government apparently trolling us.

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1399293131745542145?s=20

kelvin

Please don’t mention S_______l in any thread… it brings the sea lions in.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Mind you… the comments on masturbation from our teacher were even more troubling. Doubt it stopped anyone, they just all thought less of him.

He sounds like a bit of a w***er.

binners

Did anyone mention who they were thinking of, if not him? 😉

superlightstu
    Free Member

Did you go to the same school as me? Mind you… the comments on masturbation from our teacher were even more troubling. Doubt it stopped anyone, they just all thought less of him.

I just wondered what they were doing when they were previously thinking more of him …

ChrisL

zippykona Full Member
    The word of God is often spouted by clean shaven men.
    “You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard” (Leviticus 19:27); and, “They shall not make any bald place on their heads, nor shall they shave the edges of their beards nor make any cuttings in their flesh”
    Just how do you decide which parts of the bible to follow?

IIRC (vaguely), the excuse is something to do with God creating a new covenant with mankind when Jesus showed up. This allowed people to disregard parts of the Old Testament (including parts or perhaps all of Leviticus) as it’s not part of this new covenant. This obviously doesn’t stop them from using parts of the Old Testament to back up their dislike of things they don’t approve of though.

dudeofdoom

I just wondered what they were doing when they were previously thinking more of him …

Yeah,funny what sticks in peoples minds, probably wasn’t he’d planned.

anagallis_arvensis

Mind you… the comments on masturbation from our teacher were even more troubling. Doubt it stopped anyone, they just all thought less of him.

He sounds like a bit of a w***er.

Reminds me of my last school, the science teachers got volunteered to do sex ed because no other teacher knew where to find a cock or something. “Do I get any training?” “No it’s easy just read through the powerpoint”. OK….final slide “any questions”, notes “answer their questions”. So I did, got a few parental complaints, quite proud of that, wasn’t asked to do it again!!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I remember our sex ed teacher saying semen was basically like sugary paste and then blushing furiously when one of the 14 year old girls asked why it tasted bitter and not sweet.

kelvin

I think we might have already ruined what started out as such a lovely positive thread. Sorry for my part in that.

slowoldman

It’s a bit shit isn’t it, I read that and think “yeah, obviously, doesn’t need saying”.

Yes, sadly a lot of things that don’t need saying need saying.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Let’s get the thread back on the rails. Here are some peoples quotes

It takes no compromise to give people their rights … it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression.

So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.

I’ve been embraced by a new community. That’s what happens when you’re finally honest about who you are; you find others like you.

This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another.

I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, “Me, too.”

kelvin

if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another

This.

kelvin

“yeah, obviously, doesn’t need saying”

I’ve been contemplating this…

one where...

source

chrismac

Whilst I fully agree with what the board says I don’t understand why a group that want to be accepted, and this can be any group, and treated as a normal part of society then want to have a whole event celebrating why they are different!

kelvin

Let me guess, International Women’s Day rattles your cage as well.

theotherjonv

I think it’s more about celebrating individuality and the freedom to be who they want to be unconstrained by others, rather than specifically trying to be ‘different’

binners

Yeah, I’ve always thought of it as more of a celebration of how far we’ve come in concentrating on what’s really important about people, rather than the daft inconsequential stuff.

So should we judge people for their sexuality? Of course not

Voting Tory, on the other hand…

p7eaven
    Free Member

I don’t understand why a group that want to be accepted, and this can be any group, and treated as a normal part of society then want to have a whole event celebrating why they are different!

I don’t understand why you get to redefine PRIDE month and then have a whole post saying that you don’t understand it!

TL;DR

beej

Yeah, I’ve always thought of it as more of a celebration of how far we’ve come in concentrating on what’s really important about people, rather than the daft inconsequential stuff.

That’s a lovely sentiment and one I shall embrace. Makes lots of sense to me.

p7eaven
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_parade

Pride parades (also known as pride marches, pride events, and pride festivals) are outdoor events celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary and queer (LGBTQ) social and self acceptance, achievements, legal rights, and pride. The events also at times serve as demonstrations for legal rights such as same-sex marriage.

@chrismac

Please accept my apologies if my reply read/s as snippy, it wasn’t intended. Missing a wink 😉

#struggleswitheditwindows

scaredypants

Never been to a Pride event but was all set to go to Brighton this year with the fam
    Bit gutted that it’s now off but at least I won’t get to see Mariah Carey

Sandwich

Voting Tory, on the other hand…

It’s the new “gay” and they need accepting by society.

funkmasterp

They’re going to get sued by Skittles for that taste the rainbow bit at the end.

chrismac

https://www.un.org/en/observances/international-days-and-weeks

It seems that it’s international someone’s day more days than it’s not now. This is just the ones the in recognises

BruceWee

It seems that it’s international someone’s day more days than it’s not now. This is just the ones the in recognises

And not a single day set aside to recognise the struggles white cis-gender heterosexual males face just for being who they are.

BillMC

Blimey our RE (Revd) teacher told us forever about building his own church and shooting ducks (and his dog when it stopped obeying) but we never got on to bashing the bishop, Sodom or Gomorrah. Quite relieved really.

kerley
    Free Member

It seems that it’s international someone’s day more days than it’s not now.

And that is a good thing, isn’t it. What problem do you have with them?

anagallis_arvensis

It seems that it’s international someone’s day more days than it’s not now.

Every year it pops up on faceache that its international siblings day, on the anniversary of my brother’s death, I think he did that on purpose!!!

chrismac

And that is a good thing, isn’t it. What problem do you have with them?

It causes resentment. Last month we had international nurses day and odp day (operating theatre staff). The result is I now have all the non clinical staff saying no body cares about them and why isn’t anything done to recognise their contribution to the working of the hospital

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘It’s Pride Month’ is closed to new replies.