• This topic has 42 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m360.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • It's new bike day!
  • simondbarnes

Only had a spin up the road and back so far but seems good! Need to fit some guards / rack, SPDs and slam the stem before it’s ready for commuting. Looking forward to it 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is it electric?

simondbarnes

It is indeed 🙂

billytinkle
    Free Member

Interesting! Can I ask what made you go for that over any other ebikes available?

cloudnine
    Free Member

At what point do you decide to buy an ebike rather than a moped or motor bike?

Bregante

Don’t think I’d buy one unless health issues dictated I couldn’t ride without a bit of assistance but I have to admit, I’d bloody love to have a little go on one.

Edit: Having said that, as you seem to be very local to me going off that pic – if you ever glide past me whistling while I’m blowing out of my arse on a morning ride I shall instantly get on here and slag strava cheats on e-bikes off. 🙂

simondbarnes

Can I ask what made you go for that over any other ebikes available?

I work at a shop that sells Spesh so I got it for a good (but still loads!) price 🙂
    It’s also not just a normal bike that has had a motor and battery bolted on and I think it looks a bit better for it.

At what point do you decide to buy an ebike rather than a moped or motor bike?

I don’t like motorbikes and you still get to pedal this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Curious as to why buy an e bike for a fit regular cyclist?

I am new biked up too. CAADX

cloudnine
    Free Member

But do you make motor bike noises in your head / out loud?
    Bwarrrrrrrrrrrpppp!! Or is it more of a stealthy silent whoosh as you cruise past the roadies with your feet up on the bars?

lawton1987
    Free Member

Love it. Put some drop bars on it? What’s it called?

billytinkle
    Free Member

I hope this doesn’t become yet another ebike slagging off thread.

Lovely bike, having ridden a gocycle and had a right laugh on it, would love to see what that’s like!

simondbarnes

Curious as to why buy an e bike for a fit regular cyclist?

60 mile commute is too much for me to do every day on a normal bike and bored of sitting in traffic on the days I drive in.

simondbarnes

But do you make motor bike noises in your head / out loud?

I’m going to get a clothes peg to hold a playing card against the spokes.

simondbarnes

What’s it called?

Specialized Turbo

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s it called?

Roger.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Get the train, that’s a disgrace!

Just kidding, not my cup of tea but looks like the tool for the job, as a bove though, get some drops on it

cloudnine
    Free Member

That’s the spirit!

It’s actually not bad looking.
    What range do you get from a single charge?
    What sort of average speed to work and back?

billytinkle
    Free Member

Is the assist speed still only up to 15mph? Can’t see drops being a worthwhile upgrade unless the assist speed was higher.

simondbarnes

Is the assist speed still only up to 15mph?

Aye, it is indeed.

Can’t see drops being a worthwhile upgrade unless the assist speed was higher.

I can’t see them being a worthwhile upgrade full stop given that as well as swapping bars I’d have to swap shifters & brakes as well. Anyway, I’ve never had a hybrid before, it’ll be a novelty 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

4hrs a day on the sucker I’d be wanting different hand positions

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lovely bike, having ridden a gocycle and had a right laugh on it, would love to see what that’s like!

The nice people at Gocycle lent me one for a summer, when I had a job that required me to get around several locations in That London. It was chipped. It was fast. It was ACE!

This, however, along with some of the great stuff from Haibike (Was playing with them last summer as well) are real game changers, IMO. Look like a normal bike, ride like a normal bike, but just with a little “help”. Perfect for slightly longer commutes, people using them to help get fit again, or to stay fit when they get older, etc.

They’re not mopeds, they’re still very much bikes. And yes, on normal ones the pedal assist cuts out at fifteen, but they’ll do that in to a headwind or uphill, which is ace! Then, down the hill, they’re back to being a normal bike again.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Out of interest is it possible to change the limited speed if you wanted to? Ignoring the legality for a moment the US version is a little faster isn’t it?

simondbarnes

Out of interest is it possible to change the limited speed if you wanted to?

If I stole the bit of kit from Specialized UK that allows you to de-restrict it then it would do 45kph.

Sundayjumper

My mate had a US-spec one, derestricted, for a couple of days, reckoned it was quite an eye-opener.

There’s a good chance that this is the future for commuting & utility bikes.

Captain_Sponge

That looks like a lot of fun, congratulations! Report back in a while and give us a review?

simondbarnes

Report back in a while and give us a review?

I will in a few weeks 🙂

kimbers

Sounds like a brilliant way to avoid traffic/ trains if you’ve got a long commute

Yeah its cheating but anything better that sitting in a car

convert

I like that. I like the way it looks so discrete and I like your intent to use it to make a daft bike commute possible as an every day thing.

It’ll be interesting to see how you get on. We have a kalkhoff hybrid in the house (inherited and repurposed for my wife)- fugly as in comparison to that. The power assist profit on that one means you get remarkably little help if you are bowling along at 14mph on the flat in any power mode. It only really helps lots when you hit hills and accelerating back up to speed after a stop at the lights or a junction.

I have to say I’m quite interested in a mtb one. I now have an officially bolloxed hip that niggles like hell for days if I go out of a comfortable power range, even for just a few seconds. A bit of leccy assist to help on those short big effort steep climbs you get off road might give me my mountain biking joy back.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Op must have hit the big 50 mark or something, oh and who on earth doesn’t like motorbikes..?

bizarre

convert

Blimey though – you weren’t messing about the cost,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have to say I’m quite interested in a mtb one. I now have an officially bolloxed hip that niggles like hell for days if I go out of a comfortable power range, even for just a few seconds. A bit of leccy assist to help on those short big effort steep climbs you get off road might give me my mountain biking joy back

Convert, as mentioned above, I had a play on a few of the Haibike range last year and they were excellent. Yes, a little heavy, but handled well as so much of the weight was low down.

convert

Thanks – that article in the mag last month made a pretty good case for them I thought. A good excuse to find a test model.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A good excuse to find a test model.

My LBS has (at last visit!) some demo Haibikes. Where are you?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is it possible to do e- manuals and e-wheelies on these?

convert

Not that far from you I think – Petersfield.

simondbarnes

Is it possible to do e- manuals and e-wheelies on these?

It’s not possible to do manuals or wheelies on a normal bike unless you practice some kind of witchcraft 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Convert, give ’em a call. Not a million miles away!
    http://www.stonehengecycles.com/product/12307/2015_Haibike_Xduro_Hardnine_RC

convert

Thanks. Will do.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

If I had the money I’d love an e-bike. Demoed one at Leisure Lakes demo weekend and it was awesome. People crying saying it is ‘cheating’ etc need to get a grip. How is it cheating? At what, riding whatever you want to ride because we are all humans with the right to do so? God forbid! And not to mention the people who seem to insist they ‘destroy’ trails. Given at least 99% of them would never be chipped, they won’t destroy anything. Other than your pride as they pass you.

Rant over.

Awesome bike by the way.

mark_rich
    Free Member

You could always remove the battery and have supersize lunchbox/swat door!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘It's new bike day!’ is closed to new replies.