Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bamboo Flooring?
  • huggis
    Free Member

Anyone got any? Looking for some hard wearing wooden flooring and bamboo looks like a good option…anyone got any experience?

martinhutch

We have. Hard-wearing it ain’t. Dents and scratches v easily indeed.

huggis
    Free Member

Oh ok :-(. Glad I asked! Would it be less durable than oak though?

molgrips
    Free Member

My mum has it. She wants to change it, I think it scratches up too easily. It’s only in the hallway though, not sure it’d be good in a large room.

martinhutch

I think part of the problem was the lacquer used on it – it somehow accentuates every scratch. Perhaps a different finish would make it last better – certainly I’d be choosing a different wood floor next time.

huggis
    Free Member

Well it’s for a large dining kitchen in the new house…we have karndean currently and it seems to be wearing well but fancied something more natural…

binners

Like most things, you get what you pay for. We got some pricey bamboo flooring in the bathroom. Down about 8 years and still looks like the day it was put down. My mum and dad bought some cheap crap bamboo flooring and ripped it up again after about a year.

backofthepack
    Free Member

We did the whole house with Bamboo back in 2009 and I would really recommend it . Wasn’t cheap but is wearing really well. One thing I would say is if you have dogs there is not much traction for them, so we have a fair few rugs dotted around. I remember the carpenter complaining how hard it was to cut. Can try and find the make if that helps, assuming they are still going.

ocrider

It is known to fade a lot exposed to sunlight, so if your room is south facing and you don’t like living with the curtains drawn, forget about it.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Look for strandwoven bamboo. Very hard wearing and much harder than any wood. End or face grain bamboo is very soft in comparison.
    Finish coat is (like any urathaned type applied finish) suceptable to scratching but can be hidden with polish. We have lived with tiger strand woven for 5/years in our lounge/kitchen/ living area with 2 kids and a big dog. Looks great still.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have some in my office and it appears to be pretty tough. Still looks fine despite me rolling around it on my office chair, dragging filing cabinets across it etc. I think decent oak or bamboo are both pretty tough.

RustyNissanPrairie

We have the random carbonised stuff in our living room. Its hard wearing and doesn’t scratch or dent but ours was/is a nightmare for moving. Left a large gap under the skirting boards for expansion, first lot swelled that much it buckled. Ripped a third up and binned it, bought more laid it and this lot then shrank and pulled gap between the planks.

Would never buy it again.

huggis
    Free Member

Backofthepack…sounds good…if you’re able to find out the make that would be great

Moses

We have it in our bathroom – after 10 years the surface still looks good. We’ve had no problems with either shrinkage or staining or swelling.

geoffj

We have this down in our kitchen/living room

http://simplybamboo.co.uk/collections/classic-series/products/medium-coffee-horizontal-bamboo-flooring

It’s been down 5 years and still looks good. No issues with shrinkage or expansion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bamboo Flooring?’ is closed to new replies.