Home Forums Bike Forum It’s finally happening… my first what tyres (tarmac pumptrack)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • It’s finally happening… my first what tyres (tarmac pumptrack)
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

The relatively small knobbled akas are not pleasant on the new tarmac pumptrack.

What is the slick urban cheap tyre dujour?

Cheap being cheaper than maxxis dth.

sharkattack

DMR Moto.

Don’t just buy cheap crap they’ll last forever on a pump track bike.

timbur
    Free Member

Or tan wall Billy Bonkers

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are motos not quite knobble still for tarmax? I know they aren’t knobbly in the individual knobs sense but they aren’t exactly slick.

The billybonkers are almost identical to the akas.

Tan walls are a bonus though.

5lab
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter a huge amount, you’re not pushing grip limits at all. I have DTH on mine, maybe some second hand hookworm? They last forever

sharkattack

Well the correct answer is DTH but you cancelled them in the first post.

All I can remember about Hookworms from years ago is that they’re incredibly heavy. They’re a BMX street tyre.

You don’t want an actual slick tyre even on tarmac. I’ve spun out a few times at high speed on slightly cold or moist tracks. It’s scary stuff.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well the correct answer is DTH but you cancelled them in the first post.

Ah okay. I didn’t  mean to cancel them more like is there a cheaper similar option.

sharkattack

£44 a pair just press the button.

https://www.airdropbikes.com/products/maxxis-dth-26×2-3-dj-tyre?variant=45271988011330

Unless you’re riding every day it’s not exactly a recurring expense.

joebristol

I ran billy bonkers on my bmx for pump track – that thing felt incredibly fast. My Privateer dj101 has come with some Vee tyre things – they aren’t as fast but it really doesn’t matter so I can’t be bothered to change them.

Maxxis DTH always look fast.

5lab
    Free Member

You don’t want an actual slick tyre even on tarmac. I’ve spun out a few times at high speed on slightly cold or moist tracks. It’s scary stuff

Contrary to instinct, a slick tyre on a bike will give you the most grip on tarmac in all conditions outside of snow. You’re not going fast enough to aquaplane so all a tread pattern is doing is reducing your contact patch. Slightly cold or moist would definitely be best on a slick tyre. Compound can make a difference, but shouldn’t make much of one on a pump track.

sharkattack

I can’t be bothered to play STW professor smartarse. All I know is my 22″ BMX came with a slick street/park style tyre and I lost the rear end a few times at high speed which is shit scary on a hard tarmac track.

Now I have S&M Mainline trails tyres which look like a mini DMR Moto and I’ve got far more grip in all conditions.

nwgiles

Tan walled billy bonkers for the win

joebristol

IMG_0145

acidchunks

I was going to suggest the RT variant of DMR’s Moto but they’ve been discontinued :'(

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you can handle the colour Booze Lights would be my choice:

Vittoria Booze Light 26 x 2.30 Retro DJ Green Tyre Folding

squirrelking
    Free Member

£6 postage on that airdrop deal, Bike Inn works out cheaper.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Nutrak / veetire speedster

Soft compound, fat enough for the pump track

You aren’t gonna puncture on a pump track so no need to heavy DJ tyres

Cheap and look good with vans style waffle tread

zerocool

I really like the Maxxis DTHs I have on my bike. I also like the Kenda Small Block 8s as well as they had a bit more grip on dirt tracks.

nedrapier

More to grip than knob profile. Don’t know what rubber the akas are, but pump billy bonkers up high and you’ll have world pump track championship tyres. It’s partly what they made then for.

joshvegas
    Free Member

No idea what rubbes the akas are. I just want something that is silent and grippy on tarmac.

Tawall a bonus.

Lurid green no objectionable.

However… The bastard car has decided it needs new tyres. So for now the akas stay… Or i try some big apples i have lying around…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.