Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • It’s doggy time!
  • SaxonRider

It’s been a while since we had a gratuitous dog picture thread. By all means, show your own mutt if you want to, but what I would like to see is pictures of dog breeds we would love to have or just admire from afar. Let’s cap the number of breeds and pics per post at 3. [IMPORTANT! Please name the breed before posting!]

For me, there are many, not least of which would be the beautiful Norwegian Elkhound, but since I have posted pics of those beauties before, today I will introduce, first the:

Manchester Terrier
    Manchester Terrier

and then the

Smooth Collie
    Smooth Collie

cinnamon_girl

I make no apology for these all being gundogs. Firstly here’s a Chesapeake Bay Retriever:

Next up is a Gordon Setter:

Finally a Flat-Coated Retriever:

teethgrinder

Sadly, the thread I expected, not the one I hoped 🙁

regenesis
    Free Member

Good job there’s an e between the d and the r in your name or that could cause all sorts of anxiety here…..

colournoise

Always had Springers in the past and absolutely love them, so won’t waste a picture on them.

Probably going to be gundogs or hunting breeds here too.

Would love a Weimeraner, but admittedly that’s a visual thing more than anything else.

In a similar vein, Viszlas are amazing looking dogs too.

Finally, not a gundog or hunter, but if I ever get the urge to have a smaller, more ‘manageable’ dog it’s probably going to be a Patterdale.

And, just because I can, here’s Doug the Springador / Labradinger…

theboatman
    Free Member

Golden Retriever (Barry)

I grew up with Retrievers as my dad did some breeding, so lots of Retrievers. Never had one of my own, always wanted one but ended up with Collies and a German Shepherd. And then post divorce my eldest found rescue boy Barry who the centre were very open was too much of handful for his first family. But hey, I was sure he would be fine. In fairness, he has never so much as curled a lip at any of us and he is my youngest’s shadow. But by christ, I am just hoping I outlive him so I can get some quality of life back. Be careful what you wish for,and I currently hope Barry is the last dog I own.

Trekster

Mine/ours/MrsTs is only a few days old ie Tibetan Terrier. Owners from early March

frankconway

My ex and I (and our 3, then young, children) had an Old English Sheepdog; pedigree registered but always Tess.
    No photos but such a great dog with a wonderful temperament; playful, friendly, totally safe with children.
    She only got pushy when she could smell dog chews in my pocket.
    Much missed.

RustyNissanPrairie

Karjalankarhukoira aka Karelian Bear Dog

Native dog of northern Finland’s Karelia region. Bred for hunting large game including bears, wild boar and deer etc. Will ‘tree’ or corner game and alert its owner by barking. There are different barks depending on what is being hunted.

They are also used in national parks in the US and Japan for keeping bears away from public places.

They are brave fearless dogs but with a great temperament around humans. They aren’t interested in strangers but are warm and affectionate to their pack members
    Bert is our 5year old male.

https://relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/animals/2019/02/karelian-bear-dogs-keep-bears-away

duncancallum

null

Some one say paterdalea are manageable?
    Good luck. 90% of the time she is perfect 10% she will only do what she wants

duncancallum

Some one help embedding that link?

Drac

Border Terrier small dogs with a massive personality.

longmover
    Free Member

German Shorthaired Pointers, absolutely bonkers, either all out or passed out!

This is Rocket, he’s 18 months old and king of the sofa.

Rocket

Rocket

Rocket

plus-one

Chinese Crested. Conker top pic. Bertie bottom pic. Both playing middle pic.

Not my first choice but through someone at work I got them 6 months apart both rescue. Ex show dogs now proper pets. Very weary of people but very affectionate to pack members. Hate the rain and equally happy on long walk or curled up next to you on couch all day 🙂

Reactions range from wtf are they to how cute they are !!

sandboy

Bearded Collie
    Bearded Collie
    Lovely dogs to live with, great with kids and other dogs. Loyal and affectionate with tons of energy. We’re on our third dog now and will probably always have a Beardie at home.

epicyclo

My favourites are big dogs.

Harlequin Great Danes

Wolfhound

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Never had a dog, until about 8 weeks ago. Always have and probably always will be a cat person, but my other half is the opposite with dogs. We lost a cat a year ago, and are down to one now, so talked about getting something that could cope with an active outdoor lifestyle and ended up with this thing.

She was about 10 months old when we got her (rescue) and we seem to have been super lucky as she is incredibly well natured. Bit of a mutt, but her sisters have been DNA tested and apparently a mix between a Scottish deer hound, wire haired pointer & collie. They definitely have more pointer in them than her, who has by looks a decent amount of collie.

Quite enjoying her being around. She’s certainly got some pace on her 🙂

Doggo

toby1

Rhodesian Ridgeback
    null

Neither my wife or I work from home, or can easily, so no dog for us. Were this not the case I’d jump at a Ridgy, but in reality I’d go to a rescue centre and get something nice from there.

ThePinkster

If I can’t hang on to my Springers for me it has to be either the Hungarian Puli
    Hungarian Pul

Irish Setter
    Irish Setter

or Great Dane
    Great Dane

I’ve had Danes before and love them but they do take u pa bit of room 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I miss our old Staffie – Lab cross. Complete clown of an animal. Brilliant with kids. Brilliant around livestock. Utterly impervious to pain – not always a good thing. Walked into a lot of furniture when he started going blind, we’d hear a thump noise from the next room as he bashed his skull against a table leg or something. Walked into a blackthorn bush and took an eye out eventually, poor sod.

Currently got two Lurchers, both rescues, one Grey x Saluki, one Grey x Whippet (possibly, she might be just Whippet, we don’t know). Lovely creatures. Very good around the house. Bit awkward to find places that are safe for off lead though, they have “a bit” of prey drive and its pointless trying to follow them if they get the red mist, they’re 40mph faster than I am.

No photos online, sorry.

JAG

Always loved ALL dogs but I’ve personally owned two Irish Setters and they are brilliant dogs…

null

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, I can play this game!

Having had a GSP for 10 years (lost to a broken marriage), I’d love another trail dog. Maybe a wirehaired
    GWP

Do like an Irish setter

or a blue heeler

precutduck
    Free Member

We would love a huntaway, but unfortunately we don’t have the time at home for a dog. Our tabby cat makes us happy though.
    null

PrinceJohn

Not ours but we occasionally dog sit a King Charles.

Dog

onehundredthidiot

Brown one Terry is a thoroughbred mongrel. I got him out the rescue centre 10years ago today. The vet visit today will determine if he sees another sunrise.

Dave the pointerxlab is a 4yo bundle of daftness who dotes on Terry.

Sorry, I feel a bit sad.

duncancallum

It’s the crap side of having pets

koldun
    Free Member

This is Kumi, my Podenco Ibizenco (Ibizan hound). The photo is from the shelter so its nearly 5 years out of date now!

null

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure if the last 2 read what the thread’s about..

koldun
    Free Member

@DezB

…By all means, show your own mutt if you want to…

Think again 😉

(i posted her as she’s a reasonably uncommon breed, not just showin’ off me mutt like)

DezB
    Free Member

Fair enough! I can’t read that many words. 😉

koldun
    Free Member

In your defence, it was a bit unfair to put the picture of that terrier right below them!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Appenzeller Sennenhund

null

Bavarian Mountain Hound

null

Borzoi

null

ElShalimo

mattyfez

Shorkie

FB_IMG_1578065823898

FB_IMG_1578065881819

FB_IMG_1576882503934

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ohhhh brilliant thread!! Firstly for @toby1

When something eventually happens to ziva and I’ve had a few years break for mourning and to live without a constant tie my considering so far have been.

Hungarian wirehaired vizla. Apparently the breeding involved in order to get them the wire haired coat has also calmed down the Velcro nature of the smooth coat. I’m not sure it would be 100% suited to being a trail dog though.

Australian sheepdog but a blue Merle. I think they’re stunning and would be fantastic trail dogs but I’m not sure I could put up with the neurotic tendencies for the rest of the time!

Dalmatian, originally bred to run alongside carriages so again I think brilliant outdoors and will have an under coat unlike ziva who freezes when she goes out in the cold and rain

notlocal
    Free Member

The grumble.
    The apricot pug, Lucy is a rescue to keep our black pug Norman company when his Mum and Dad eventually pass away.
    Esme, the brindle pug, is another rescue which my daughter has.

notlocal
    Free Member

null

notlocal
    Free Member

Nevermind🙄

Futureboy77

I’ve had various breeds in the past but currently have two Cairn Terriers and can’t see me wanting another breed.
    Fantastic with kids. The breed club motto is “the best wee pal in the world” and I’d agree with that. Happy sleeping away and equally happy on a Monro or three. 👍

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘It’s doggy time!’ is closed to new replies.