Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • It's curtains for me… Or not.
  • Kryton57

Well it’s only fair, you just bought a new car and now yer wife wants new curtains..

You don’t know my circumstances, so why make assumptions.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

they are shit. Like they’ve been sewn together by a primary school sowing class…

Is there any wonder they are shit if they were sowed

Wrong class

garvaldnights
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for Venetian Blinds it would be curtains for all of us.

I’ll get my jaiket….

vorlich
    Free Member

Big ass bay window. Curtain pole £80 online. Linen Habitat curtains off Gumtree £40. They look fine.

In fact we even have spares, as we only use two of the four curtains.

Yours for a mere £1500. Call me.

CraigW
    Free Member

I got some curtains from http://www.naturalcurtaincompany.co.uk/
    Seem pretty good to me. Can’t remember the cost, but I have a pretty big window, and they weren’t too expensive. Maybe £200 or so.
    They have a thick thermal lining, which makes a big difference to keeping the room warm.

tang
    Free Member

Shudders. The hours I spent at Ian Mankin on Wandsworth bridge rd.

Kryton57

[/quote]CraigW – Member
    I got some curtains from http://www.naturalcurtaincompany.co.uk/

Looks good, thanks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Our new house has a set of curtains up which we were offered as they cost £2000 6 months ago apparently. We could have had them for £300. We declined, they’re vile.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

It can cost as much as you are willing to pay. I often pay lots for quality bespoke furnishings at work, hotels and event venues, and I doubt I would pay that much for what you have proposed.

Nobby

We’ve used THIS LOT for years who have always been great for custom fit blinds but the MIL has had a few curtains made by them and has been pleased with the quality & price.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Dun

Elm

The other £2950 on a new bike?

40mpg

Like I said before I’ve nothing to show off

So why bother with curtains at all then 😉

nbt

Mrs NBT makes curtains for a living. It takes her a while to make curtains nicely, so she charges for her time. She doesn;t charge a lot in over all terms, I am often frustrated that the time she spends doing measurements and quotes on top of the making means she barely earns minimum wage. Bear in mind though that her curtains are usually hand finished and made to measure rather than knocked up using techniques such as bag-lining.

The fabric often costs more than she charges for the time to take. I remember once going to help her measure a nice house for some lovely people, and loading the car with the material to take home as they’d already bought it – they’ve been regular customers for several years and just needed to confirm the correct measurements for the windows in the new house, rather than getting quotes from different people. Loading three rolls of pure cashmere into my 8 year old octavia mean the contents were worth something like six times the value of the car 😯 . The charge for the making was nowhere near the value of the car in that case, much less the value of the fabric!

Just as you can go to halfords and get a full suspension bike with disk breaks (sic) for £79, you can go to Dunelm and get curtains for rather less then you were quoted. However, you do get what you pay for. I’m not saying that £3000 is justified, but most people spend more time at home than out on the bike..

Bunnyhop

Kryton57 – where do you live?
    I can give you a quote (bunnyhop aka mrs nbt)

Edit – Just seen you are in the south.

Kryton57

Can you post them? Obviously I’ll pay for that. I could email you the quote PDF for measurements.

Bunnyhop

Yes no problem.
    My e-mail is in my profile.

I don’t have fabrics though, customers usually supply their own. However I’m happy to let you know how much to buy.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Is there a fabric printers near you? My mum reckons she’s saved an absolute fortune doing theirs over the years by going to Stead McAlpine rather than a retailer.

If it’s costing as much as you say, the difference could probably pay for a weekend in the lakes:

http://www.steadmcalpin.co.uk/mill-shop.html

ell_tell
    Free Member

just another thinly veiled ‘look at me!” thread.

Top punning there!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Blimey I had a small fit when my OH spent £186 on a pair of 72″ drop curtains.
    To even countenance spending £3k on a set of curtains and poles you really do need your head examined.

I might post that im considering buying some new tyres for the maser next month and is £15k too expensive? Just so I can wave my cock about being considerably richer than yew.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“You don’t know my circumstances, so why make assumptions.”

True enough, just passing comment.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Well he does post pretty much everything about his life on here so why not?

Houns

Top thread.

Any ways

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/Textiles/10654/

Unless you live in a single glazed ramshackle cottage you don’t need liners

bigyinn
    Free Member

If there’s no liner, what do you wipe your knob on then?

Kryton57

Just so I can wave my cock about being considerably richer than yew.

Do you always pop up on threads to be the judgmental class clown / arsehole? FWIW, Like I said before in this post if I was considerably richer and wanted to brag about it, I would have bought the curtains, fitted them and posted a picture of how great my £3k curtains are.

Did the fact that I’m complaining in shock about the price not give you the slightest indication that I’m not / can’t be paying for them?

Well he does post pretty much everything about his life on here so why not?

No, I don’t. You clearly don’t have the brain cells to distinguish whats posted for comedy effect and what is real – in some ways I’m empathetic as I do have a querky sense of humour. In reality I suspect you actually know very little about me.

unovolo
    Free Member

At circa 3k I’d be wanting Plantation shutters never mind curtains.

Think you definitely need to shop around a bit more, personally I’d find some nice curtain poles and fit them myself and then maybe pay a bit more for some snazzy curtains.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

Only a couple of years back moved house and needed curtains for a modest bedroom bay window. Wife was having trouble finding suitable curtains so suggested made to measure. In ignorance I agreed. After admittedly very nice curtains were fitted I asked how much.
    £800 for 1 very shallow set.
    I couldn’t believe it. And yes I most definitely did think I could have had a bike for that.

Still I suppose she would think 2k on a bike was just as extravagant. Not that I have spent that. Not yet anyway.

project
    Free Member

and at night the lining is inside so you just see the lining and the pattern side is facing the dark street.

But then a lot of more modern thinking people have curtain rails with eylet curtains that can be hung both ways, and swopped round from time to time so the lining is facing inside or outside, so you only have to buy one pair per fenestration.

Theres no law against having the lining inwards.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Kryton, I’m not going to lower myself to making personal insults, but you really should take a look at your thread starting history. What tyres? What to do about xyz? etc etc etc zzzz
    I was exaggerating slightly, but really, how many questions do you ask on here? It’s hard to spot the humour in most of them.
    You’re quite right, I know little about you, but your prodigious thread starting paints quite a picture.

tonyg2003

Just opened an email with the quote from curtain company my wife had in this week. £3200!! Gulp!

breadcrumb

I thought the £80 was steep for a pair from Dunelm.

I need to get me a sewing machine!

Kryton57

Kryton, I’m not going to lower myself to making direct rather than veiled personal insults

FTFY

If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Each to there own, no need to come on the thread and have a go is there.

And for the record I’ve said it before, I’m not the only one who asks advice on here, I’m not the most frequent at it nor the most downright bleedin’ obvious in my posts.

but your prodigious thread starting paints quite a picture.

And whats that? Indecisive and less knowledgeable than some others? Tell me something I don’t know.

Rockape63
    Free Member

You have to laugh at someone finding fault with someone posting threads on a chat forum which they subsequently respond to! And……at all the twisted and bitter Northern Lefties sniping at anyone with a semblance of a decent lifestyle!

#decides not to start a which car shall I buy…RS4 or 911#

project
    Free Member

Pull yourselves together said the venetian blind to the set of expensive curtains

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’m not northern, I am a grumpy bastard. Which is sort of the same thing.

Bunnyhop

All you lovely chaps who go out and spend hundreds of pounds on wheels and uppy downy seat posts, need to come to my work room and see how much time and effort goes into making curtains.
    Anyway a well made decent pair of curtains will last many, many years. One of my customers still has hers from over 20 years ago, the fabric is a William Morris, so hasn’t dated.
    And yes I will ‘pull myself’ together.

scandal42
    Free Member

Glad I’m too poor to have these issues.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘It's curtains for me… Or not.’ is closed to new replies.