Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Its all kicking off on Zwift!
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tldr: zwift assumes generic rollers are about 400W flat out, and this guy just rode up the new imaginary hill on them, now all the imaginary competition are having a real meltdown.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/youre-disservice-cycling-strava-thread-gets-completely-hand-ride-takes-zwift-kom-375231</span>

fooman

Reminds me of my favorite Strava KoM fall-out, comments were deleted from Strava when it went viral

https://mpora.com/road-cycling/addicted-strava-viral-thread-shows-road-cyclist-australia-lose-plot-cyber-bullt-takes-kom

tpbiker
    Free Member

Getting in a froth about Strava Koms is sad enough, but caring about virtual koms on zwift is a whole new level.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So when will the first zwift approved trainer with scales included be released to stop the guys adding 10kg to their profile.

Maybe one with a webcam fitted to make sure your not using the battery drill on the cranks

davosaurusrex

Bloody hell, who really cares! I went out for a first ride on my new ebike before 5 this morning. I hadn’t even made it to work at half 7 before someone had flagged my ride for all the climbing KOMs – I was going to change it to an ebike ride when I got in anyway…..

NewRetroTom

davosaurusrex – re Strava KOMs on an ebike – some people do care, and I can understand why people who have just got a notification that they lost their KOM to you would flag it if it’s clearly not a human effort. The main point of Strava is comparing times against other riders, and if the data is full of non-human efforts it becomes worthless. People flagging rides are the main tool for keeping the data clean.

Maybe now that you’ve got an ebike you should change your settings so that it defaults to uploading your rides as ebike. Any rides you do on a normal bike you can change later. It would avoid you getting bothered by people flagging your rides.

whitestone
    Free Member

@davosaurusrex – maybe don’t upload the activity until you can set the bike type? Either that or set your default to EBike as NRT states.

theotherjonv

I went out for a first ride on my new ebike before 5 this morning. I hadn’t even made it to work at half 7 before someone had flagged my ride for all the climbing KOMs

You went out that early just to bag some KoM’s and used an eBike to do it? I haven’t got a dictionary to hand but I’m pretty sure that’s what’s listed as the definition of loser.

martinhutch

Bit harsh. Clearly he is a paying user and it uploads his segment times live rather than at the end like the rest of us serfs.

However, if he is the ebiker who climbed effortlessly out of Woo Gill in Nidderdale this morning as I was pushing up the other side, then he deserves to burn in hell for all eternity. (Goes to check flybys for flagging opportunities). 🙂

What is this Zwift thing anyhow? It is like cycling?

tomhoward

I’ve never set my Strava to ebike when I’ve used my ebike. Never got a KOM either 😭

martinhutch

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>I’ve never set my Strava to ebike when I’ve used my ebike. Never got a KOM either</span>

Sounds nearly as embarrassing as having lots of accessories on your bike.

fasthaggis

On the last segment of my commute last night, I was passed by a fully loaded Deliveroo rider.

Sitting in the top 3 of my local commuter racing championships, I felt humiliated and for 0.002 seconds made a move to pursue this youngster, show them the real meaning of speed.

Didn’t though,and she did look quite fit 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

What is this Zwift thing anyhow? It is like cycling?

It’s an ideal way of honing your indignation indoors before the proper outdoor Strava season begins in the spring. Means you can transition seamlessly into a frothing fury straight off without any sort of build-up. Invaluable ime.

martinhutch

Is it similar to the cycle races on Wii Sports Resort? They were good fun, especially the tandem ones where you can shout at your 7-year-old stoker when she starts to fade a bit.

whitestone
    Free Member

However, if he is the ebiker who climbed effortlessly out of Woo Gill in Nidderdale this morning as I was pushing up the other side, then he deserves to burn in hell for all eternity. (Goes to check flybys for flagging opportunities).

Just checked your ride – I’ve never managed the bottom of the climb eastwards out of Woo Gill even with the concrete surface. Going westwards is easy.

davosaurusrex

Get a life otherjonv you melt. I went out before work as I finished sorting out the DOA seatpost at 10 last night and was double keen to see what it was like. I always intended to change it to an ebike ride once I got to work but hadn’t looked into how to do it previously. As I said in my original post….I’m not bothered that it got flagged, that’s fair enough, I was just amused that it was less than an hour after uploading before it got flagged – I didn’t think Strava sent out the “Uh-oh – you’ve lost your KOM” emails after that Californian roadie killed himself last year and the family tried suing Strava!

Anyway, they’ll all be logged as ebike rides from now on so you can wring out your Tena Lady Jon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Icondavosaurusrex
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Get a life otherjonv you melt…………

</div>

There’s an irony about losing it on a forum thread about people losing it on a forum thread……….

davosaurusrex

Trust me I’m not losing it but if someone calls me a loser for no justified reason then I’m going to call it out. I seem to recall from previous threads that Jon is one of the resident Ebike haters so what he thinks makes no odds to me but I’m not going to just take it either.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Get a life otherjonv you melt.

I thought he was being ironic, the connection being the loser comment on the Zwift article. However I could be wrong. Irony and sarcasm have a habit of being lost on forums.

martinhutch

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Just checked your ride – I’ve never managed the bottom of the climb eastwards out of Woo Gill even with the concrete surface. Going westwards is easy.</span>

Stalker 🙂

It’s actually harder with the concrete. It’s covered with tractionless shite. I managed it once before they upgraded it

Would have been nice to meet the one rider coming the other way when I was actually on my bike rather than shoving it gracelessly upwards.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s bad enough going down it TBH, it’s like it’s covered in ball bearings! My next challenge is to clean Deadman’s Hill – the TRO and the works done last year have made that at least possible now 🙂

martinhutch

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>My next challenge is to clean Deadman’s Hill </span>

Nah, I’m waiting until they bring it out on Zwift. 🙂

FFS didn’t they sort out the formatting on quoted text at some point or other?

whitestone
    Free Member

Nah, I’m waiting until they bring it out on Zwift.

FFS didn’t they sort out the formatting on quoted text at some point or other?

Works OK for me (so long as I deleted the smiley – the image is displayed full size if you include it in quoted text)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

the TRO and the works done last year have made that at least possible now

Is that up from Angram? I’ve not been up there in years as it was like the somme last time i tried.

And woo gill is distinctly better* since the concrete.

whitestone
    Free Member

Is that up from Angram? I’ve not been up there in years as it was like the somme last time i tried.

It’s the BW leading from the end of Scar House res over to Arkleside/Horsehouse. Yes it used to be a quagmire at 25% gradient 😯 The far side got “resurfaced” with fist sized stones a couple of years ago which made that hard work as well, they’ve bedded in now.

theotherjonv

Get a life otherjonv you melt.

Oh FFS, does no-one do humour any more?

If it wasn’t for my spelling OCD I’d have made it more obviously a copy of the Strava bitch-fight that spoony alluded to, but as a special case I’ll do it now…. for calling me a melt you’re a complete and utter looser (sic)

-> Joke <-

As for being an ebike hater – quite the opposite. When i was shitting myself a few years back over a mysterious breathlessness and chest pain, I was looking firmly down the barrel of joining the mechanically assisted, and i thought the genuine ebike haters were a right bunch of idiots over the scorn they were pouring on. Subsequently it turned out that many of the ebike haters in the club I rode with were just generally a bunch of dicks, but it took the ebike hate for me to see it – and led to me leaving the club after about 15 years of membership. I don’t have one myself but I’d get one at a moment’s notice if I needed one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

to late to back track now you melt

-> Joke <-

madhouse

I thought everyone took Strava KOMs with a pinch of salt anyway seeing as it’s easy for anyone to get one using a text editor.

Zwift’s equally cheatable, make yourself short and light and you’ll do much better up the hills. Or just use an eBike/power drill.

I use Strava to see how I compare to my previous efforts and to my mates, anything else is a ‘nice to know’.

There are bigger things in life to worry about.

davosaurusrex

Ah, the link to the article doesn’t work on my phone so I just made a probably fairly accurate assumption on the content. And obviously have you mixed up with someone else, Boltonjon maybe? Anyway, I unreservedly apologise, you don’t need to wrong out your Tena Lady, it’s probably good and dry! And I’m sure you’re not a melt but a lovely fella  (I can be a right bell though as any of my friends will gladly tell you). Man hug to make up? Get in here bro!

davosaurusrex

Yeah, annoying thing with the ebike is going to be the lack of pub bragging rights/ piss taking after a ride

scaredypants

what’s a melt ?

[melts]

bigjim

I believe it’s a sandwich containing melted cheese, eg tuna melt

Perhaps popular with stravaists

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Isn’t that a toastie?

It is find these parts any how, maybe I’m just not middle class enough, though i thought they called them paninis (why paninis not paninos or just panini i don’t know)

convert

Zwift kom’s and getting your knickers in a twist – please…..

Zwift races – I struggle with this one. Just so easy to cheat with your weight and then people with shonky kit it does make the whole thing a bit pointless. Then, with the explosion in numbers the races are not even that tactical.

I think I might be over the whole thing.

weeksy

You just race who’s near you on the day. How real or fake they are doesn’t matter. Just enjoy racing for what it is.

poah
    Free Member

I thought the only reason to get an ebike was to piss off roadies on strava?

convert

Just enjoy racing for what it is.

Thing is I don’t. If there are so many in a race that there are effectively no tactics as you have no hope of being able to see if there is a break or if there are people off the front and then if the people around you are completly new to you so you can’t gauge what beating them or being beaten actually means I’m not sure what the point is.

Back when I road raced and time trialled the local club mid week 10 meant something. I could use the people there as constants to compare my performance as I knew them and raced them week in week out. It was the same on zwift at the beginning. Not any more. Victim of it’s own success.

scotroutes

Can you ride an ebike on rollers?

TiRed

You can, but since I averaged 49 km/hr on mine last night for an hour… On my TT bike too. Now if I can do that tomorrow on the road I’ll be happy!

Weeksy nails it, I don’t really get the KOM stuff on Zwift, or even Strava to be honest. Zwift is just a bit of un-validated fun. Sure I could drop 10 kilos and be (even) faster up the hills, but really? Strava is for comparing with either yourself or friends, surely?

The poor guy on Zwift thought his rollers were fine and supported. OK perhaps they were not, so what? Will they log separate KOMs based on devices used? I haven’t used mine for Zwift, even with my power meter, because Zwift on iOS doesn’t support my Assioma (reads half power), so no chance of a KOM there 🙂

I did run zPower before I bought the KICKR, it was a little higher, but nothing spectacular.

theotherjonv

to late to back track now you melt

It’s too, you melty looser

Dave, no probs, I didn’t think you’d miss the intent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Its all kicking off on Zwift!’ is closed to new replies.