Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • It fits ….. Hurrah 29er+ Frontage
  • letmetalktomark

I’m afraid nothing too interesting but thought it worth a mention.

I received yesterday a lovely 29er+ wheel* and tyre from the good people at Just Riding Along (Thank you John et al)

The wheel was bought for the front of my Fortitude running Salsa Cromoto forks.

I should have fitted based on some loose measuring but I can confirm it does fit with reasonable room so spare – Hurrah!

That is all.

* Running a Dually rim

amplebrew

I’m over the moon with my Duallys, JRA are great as well 8)

I’m running mince with 2.4 Ardents at the mo.

letmetalktomark

😳 It was seeing your wheels that convinced me to go with the Duallys rather than RHs 😆

JRA built my fat bike wheels too and will, when money allows, hopefully build the matching rear possibly with a WHUB 😉

amplebrew

JRA definitely do a really great job on the wheel builds.

The Dually’s ride really well and I don’t think you notice any weight difference over the likes of say a normal size Stans.

They do look huge alongside a Stans Arch though.

sillyoldman

What are you running on the Duallys to convert them to tubeless?

I just bodged mine with some electrical tape, but getting a bit of burping….

Gotama
    Free Member

JRA use the industry nine tape I believe as it is wider than stans, or at least I think that is what John said he did with mine. certainly looks like a neat job and a perfect fit. Gorilla tape worked well as a bodge on my Rolling Darryl which is a different kettle of fish entirely. It may be down to the tyre rather than your tape? My specialized purgatorys were terrible for burping on both flows and p35s. Is it a decent size bit of rubber?

Rik
    Free Member

Is that with 445mm salsa cromotos?

Any photos?

amplebrew

I’m still in the dark ages and running tubes on mine.

I did run tubeless a couple of years ago on another bike, but personally found it too much faff.

Paceman
    Free Member

Let’s see a photo 😀

Del

+1 useless w/o pics. have a word with yourself!
    🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

So those of you who went for Duallys over Rabbit Holes, what swung it?

letmetalktomark

Yep – mine has come taped. Really neat job.

Yep – Also in 445mm Cromotos – Good fit

My grass is too shabby for pics … at the moment.

I liked the aesthetics of the rim plus no cut outs to gather dirt …. I have Marge Lites for that!

peanut
    Free Member

1″ gorilla tape here with stans/joes sealant on the Dually’s. Really good and easy tubeless set up (2.4 Ardents till the Dirt Wizzards arrive in 29er guise) and much more ‘secure’ than the p35’s.

amplebrew

vorlich – Member
    So those of you who went for Duallys over Rabbit Holes, what swung it?

Purely for aesthetic reasons as I thought the Dually’s looked much nicer with out any cut outs.

I also previously had P35’s made by Velocity and the finish was really nice; so thought I’d stick with the same company.

Glad I did go with the Dually’s as the finish on them is lovely.

sillyoldman

Gotama – aye it’s a Minion 2.5.

To be honest I’m not conscious of the burping while riding, but there’s always a fair bit of lost sealant around the tyre bead area.

Best buy some gorilla tape….

oxym0r0n

+1 pics – keep thinking about this for my el Mar

letmetalktomark

I will try for some pics tomorrow.

jameso

Not just to be a dck, but

My specialized purgatorys were terrible for burping on both flows and p35s

odd, never had any issues at all with them on my P35s (2bliss Purgs).

I also previously had P35’s made by Velocity and the finish was really nice;

I have 2 wheelsets with P35s and I think they’re pricey spray-painted tat tbh, but a nice profile and a fair weight and that’s what counts : ) the paint’s flaking off all of them, they’re expensive for a sleeved rim and they’re soft. But the sidewalls bend back, I don’t care if they look tatty and I’d buy Duallys in the future unless Alex etc make something 40-45mm. Are the Duallys painted, or anodised now?

sillyoldman

They look to be anodised James.

Gotama
    Free Member

James – Think you’re a fair bit lighter than me (i’m about 14.5 stone) judging by your great divide post which may have something to do with it. In fairness I’ve only burped it once on my Jones in the last year, used to be more frequent on the yelli screamy. Typically a sharp rooty corner coming off a relatively quick bit of trail. Usually have between 30 – 35 psi in the rear so not silly low pressures either. Same 2bliss ones.

Sillyoldman – same with my nobby nics on the rear. Never really notice any loss of pressure but there are generally a few sealant lines on the wall of the tyre after a ride.

Paint has also flaked off my P35s but only where I have dinged them. To me the dually looks to be the same finish but can’t say for sure.

letmetalktomark

Bit slow updating this with pics but better late than never 😆

The fork is a 440mm AtoC Salsa Cromoto and whilst the clearance isn’t huge its on par with whats available out back:

swavis

Nice that! 😀

I’ve done something similar with an Inbred. ECR fork with a Knard on a Dually rim on the front and a Sun Ringle MTX 33mm wide rim with a 2.4 ardent on the back. Really liking it.

letmetalktomark

@ Swarvis – do you have much to play with clearance wise with a 2.4 Ardent out back on your Inbred?

Don’t suppose you have a pic?

I ask as I am sure a 2.25 Ardent on a Flow was pretty tight in my Inbred 😕

tazzymtb

29+ is a great idea, but I’m binning mine until such time as some decent rubber comes along. Knards epically bad in all but the nicest if loamy forest conditions and they are grim on wet roots of very loose conditions. The new vee tyre 29+ look interesting and will probably be out before surly actually sort the 29 dirt wizards. Anything less than 3″ isnt 29+..just a fat 29…:-D

swavis

I’ll try and get some close ups later. From memory it’s about 5mm at the closest point on the chainstay. The seatstay has loads of room.

Clink
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

Nice link, I’ve a pair of rims coming for my Rooster. I also noticed Jones posted a pair of Dually’s shod with Super Moto’s on FB, looked rather nice too (I fancy using my Rooster as a sometime tourer).

gringojimi
    Free Member

Spent some considerable time yesterday ogling letmetalktomark’s Knard n’ Dually combo. Looks like JustRidingAlong do a damn fine wheel build 8)

oxym0r0n

Thanks for the pics – v tempted now! (your stem face plate is upside down and I don’t know where to start with the garden!!!)

Gotama
    Free Member

Looks good.

Hijack – tazzy did you ever try your 650b + in the back of your jones? That new wtb 45mm rim and tyre look like they could be a great rear to go with a fatty front.

swavis

Sorry, I forgot to put pics up of the clearance the other day 😳

A bit less than 5mm on the chainstay

Seatstay has a bit more

The tyre doesn’t rub either the stay or the chain so it’s all good 😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Have to agree – the Knard tyre is a bit poo 🙁 – I have not used mine nearly as much as I thought I would – the 4.8 Bud rolls so well and being all but 29+ in diameter – there really isn’t a reason to use anything else! As a side note – I’m ordering a 65mm carbon rim which weighs 550g 😀

martinh
    Free Member

I don’t understand the problems people have with Knards. Had mine on an RH and now on a Dually. Sure not ideal in thick mud but surprisingly good the rest of the time if the pressure is low and you keep weight on it.

No burping yet on the Dually, just used Stans tape and the Knard went up easily. Need to give it a bash round Some rocks to really test it but we don’t have any in Berkshire.

I hope the finish is better on the Dually than on my P35s, those started to peel very quickly.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

If I didn’t have the option of a fat front tyre, I’d stick with the Knard, but I really didn’t like it in greasy or wet conditions.

martinh
    Free Member

I used to dream of a fat front but I have to make do with what fits

think I’ll try a Minion 2.5 on th RH sometime if the Vee Trax or Maxxis Chronicle don’t turn up soon, for the ‘enduro’ days

sillyoldman

Got a Minion 29×2.5 on a Dually on the front of my Fortitude. Amazing traction! Waiting for more tread options in the 29+ category like others…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Just looking at the Vee Rubber Trax 3″ – looks interesting – also the 4.25″ H-billie looks pretty good too, to think only a few years ago, there was only 1 fat tyre to choose from! Really excited about my carbon 65mm rim – I may even be well enough to ride when it arrives :((

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘It fits ….. Hurrah 29er+ Frontage’ is closed to new replies.