Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 373 total)
  • Israel's Netanyahu sparks uproar by suggesting WWII-era Palestinian leader inspi
  • DrJ

View from Palestinian Bassem Eid, founder and former director of the Jerusalem-based Palestinian Human Rights Monitoring Group.

Load of empty blether.

Don’t forget that the Palestinians have been giving concessions to Israel for decades, and received absolutely nothing in return. That led to the current feeling of hopelessness, that nothing they do will get them anywhere, and the rejection of the old path of Fatah, with the free and fair elections that brought Hamas to power. People don’t strap on a suicide vest if they have any other alternative. Israel has pushed them into a place where they see no way out. In fact the Israelis are more than happy with the continued conflict – it allows them to divert attention from internal conflicts.

grum
    Free Member

OK Nim, I’m sure there are some valid points in there but it’s only one perspective. How do you feel about this?

“Jewish survivors and descendants of survivors and victims of Nazi genocide unequivocally condemn the massacre of Palestinians in Gaza

“As Jewish survivors and descendants of survivors and victims of the Nazi genocide we unequivocally condemn the massacre of Palestinians in Gaza and the ongoing occupation and colonization of historic Palestine. We further condemn the United States for providing Israel with the funding to carry out the attack, and Western states more generally for using their diplomatic muscle to protect Israel from condemnation. Genocide begins with the silence of the world.

“We are alarmed by the extreme, racist dehumanization of Palestinians in Israeli society, which has reached a fever-pitch. In Israel, politicians and pundits in The Times of Israel and The Jerusalem Post have called openly for genocide of Palestinians and right-wing Israelis are adopting Neo-Nazi insignia.

“Furthermore, we are disgusted and outraged by Elie Wiesel’s abuse of our history in these pages to justify the unjustifiable: Israel’s wholesale effort to destroy Gaza and the murder of more than 2,000 Palestinians, including many hundreds of children. Nothing can justify bombing UN shelters, homes, hospitals and universities. Nothing can justify depriving people of electricity and water.

“We must raise our collective voices and use our collective power to bring about an end to all forms of racism, including the ongoing genocide of Palestinian people. We call for an immediate end to the siege against and blockade of Gaza. We call for the full economic, cultural and academic boycott of Israel. “Never again” must mean NEVER AGAIN FOR ANYONE!”

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.612072

nim

Why do you need my view specifically?

The Bassem view is interesting as it’s a Palestinian voice that needs to be heard and highlights key points that dont get stressed enough in our media.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes we definitely just need a view you cherry picked to help make your point and we definitely don’t need you to answer any questions about your view

Minority and fringe views are rarely heard as loudly as the prevailing ones

grum
    Free Member

The Bassem view is interesting as it’s a Palestinian voice that needs to be heard and highlights key points that dont get stressed enough in our media.

How strange, because I hear those points stressed all the time in the media, just not usually by Palestinians.

I was asking for your view because like the other zionists on this thread you seem to accept absolutely no criticism of Israel whatsoever, and when it comes from holocaust survivors you can’t accuse them of anti-semitism (which is the normal practise for silencing any criticism of Israel).

More specifically then nim, are you ‘alarmed by the extreme, racist dehumanization of Palestinians in Israeli society’ or is this not something that bothers you? Does it concern you that Israel has a Justice Minister who has called for genocide against the Palestinians?

konabunny
    Free Member

I agree with 98% of what Bassem said (I think he is a former colleague of an acquaintance but I might be confusing people), although I think some of his historic interpretation/speculation is off. I don’t think calling it “empty blether” without addressing any of the points is much use, and neither is starting some cut & paste war of opposing quotes.

DrJ

I don’t think calling it “empty blether” without addressing any of the points is much use

The point is that even if you think he is correct in saying that the Palestinians have made numerous mistakes, there is no basis for thinking that the results would be any different. If Fatah had not been corrupt and lined their own pockets would the Israelis have refrained from building one single house on occupied land? There is no point in a lengthy discussion and rebuttal of his points because the whole thing is built on a false premise.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t think calling it “empty blether” without addressing any of the points is much use, and neither is starting some cut & paste war of opposing quotes.

Oh thank god, the thread police are here. 🙂

nim

I’m so delighted my view carries such value.

I like many Israeli’s are openly critical of Israel. I’ve said on here previously that Israel isn’t perfect by any stretch. I don’t need to come on to STW to do that, there are ample people already doing it. There are voices that I feel need to be heard that aren’t common in the UK press such as Bassem. Only reading electronic intifada doesn’t give a balanced view. Khaled Abu Toameh also worth checking out his views / video interviews as another man on the ground who is likely to know more than most on STW.

Having a parliamentary process where there is a scramble for majority means that it isn’t uncommon to suddenly find hard liners as part of the Government, such as Ayelet Shaked. There are extremists and racists in every society, unfortunately. However Israel does have freedom of speech and freedom of the press – for all Israelis – Jew, Muslim Druze Christian etc. Haaretz is particularly critical. Try having freedom of speech against the ‘establishment’ in downtown Gaza. On the flip side, Israel has a strong and growing peace movement. The destruction and death is in Gaza is deplorable. It could be avoided. However it isn’t about the siege. Like it or not, Hamas favours this strategy while the leaders hide in their bunkers or even better for the chief Khaled Meshaal, kick back in Qatar’s luxury.

Would there be peace if Israel conceded more land? Well Gaza didn’t go to plan as per Hamas and Fatah murdering each other, although it did work to establish a cold peace with Egypt and Jordan.

That 300 Shoah survivors expressed that view doesn’t mean that it speaks for all Shoah survivors.
    Their view was in response to Ellie Wiesel, a Shoah survivor himself, regarding Hamas use of human shields.

Like it or not, your average Israeli wants a peaceful future.

That probably doesn’t answer all the points raised but as I’m sure you’ll understand, it is a work day, I have tons to do.

chewkw
    Free Member

If there is a vote I shall vote against intervening in others affairs especially those of the Palestine and Israel.

That place is of no significant at all. Full of sand it is!

No, no, no … as Lady Thatcher once said. 😆

It looks like there are many trouble makers in BritLand trying to intervene in others affairs.

Ya, keep stirring troubles in others home. 😆

“You Shall Not Pass!” said Gandalf the Grey.

grum
    Free Member

That probably doesn’t answer all the points raised but as I’m sure you’ll understand, it is a work day, I have tons to do.

I had a quick scan and saw some whataboutery and victim blaming amongst some more reasonable points.

Having a parliamentary process where there is a scramble for majority means that it isn’t uncommon to suddenly find hard liners as part of the Government, such as Ayelet Shaked. There are extremists and racists in every society, unfortunately.

It’s pretty uncommon in the UK to have politicians in major positions in government that have openly called for the extermination of a particular group of people, or who describe asylum seekers as a cancer.

Yes there are extremists in every society but this indicates a much wider problem. I’m assuming you don’t agree.

nim

‘Yes there are extremists in every society but this indicates a much wider problem. I’m assuming you don’t agree.’

Yes I am such a warmonger that I’m using references from a Palestinian Human Rights spokesperson.

Junkyard
    Free Member

d. There are extremists and racists in every society, unfortunately. However Israel does have freedom of speech and freedom of the press – for all Israelis – Jew, Muslim Druze Christian etc. Haaretz is particularly critical. Try having freedom of speech against the ‘establishment’ in downtown Gaza

You cannot help yourself to keep having the digs – FWIW – using your example – they can be as hard line as they like and say that Israel should be burned to the ground as they also have “freedom of speech” and extremists. Strange you dont praise them for being just like you and letting them into govt.

If you treat people like animals they will act liek animals

you then use that as your justification for their treatment

Like it or not, your average Israeli wants a peaceful future.

Both sides want peace …on their terms

Both sides need to ask if what they are doing is likely to achieve it

chewkw
    Free Member

No connection to the land of Palestine/Israel. Fact!

No relatives in those land. You are NOT Palestinians! Fact!

No religious connection especially the non-believers. You Don’t believe in God! Fact!

No economy significance. Fact!

Yet, the lefties keep banging on and on and on about their rights to cause troubles in already troubled land … that is the magnitude of hypocrisy.

No! No! No! (As Lady Thatcher once said to their face 😆 )

grum
    Free Member

Yes I am such a warmonger that I’m using references from a Palestinian Human Rights spokesperson.

*sigh*

chewkw
    Free Member

Human rights is only for Western nations.

That concept is shite in God’s countries.

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh thank god, the thread police are here.

lol I did laugh at that one! But seriously – you (in particular) can hardly complain about whataboutery when your cut and paste odyssey from Haaretz is classic whataboutery.

The point is that even if you think he is correct in saying that the Palestinians have made numerous mistakes, there is no basis for thinking that the results would be any different. If Fatah had not been corrupt and lined their own pockets would the Israelis have refrained from building one single house on occupied land? There is no point in a lengthy discussion and rebuttal of his points because the whole thing is built on a false premise.

Okay, I think that’s more constructive. But I don’t think that an alternate history based on Palestinian institutions being more resilient and unified is a false premise. If the PLO had maintained hegemony in Palestinian society, you wouldn’t (or might not have) have had the rise of Hamas or the intifada so; if the PA had been less bent, it would have delievered more services to its citizens and Gaza wouldn’t have collapsed; if the PA security services had been more effective, there wouldn’t have been so many rockets and the Area A and B land would have been better controlled; if the PA hadn’t been so useless and corrupt, there would have been more Israeli and international investment into the PA, and greater external resistance to Israeli destruction of property (oh, and a tax base that isn’t filtered through israel, and employment, and economic growth).

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh no you don’t! 😛

You cannot twist and turn your words.

The bottom line is that you lot trouble makers, especially the lefties 😆 , are just escalating the problem for both sides.

Nobody in their sane mind would get involve in a problem that cannot be solved in a foreign land which has no significant value at all.

The hypocrisy is the fact that the non-believers want to solve the problem of God (other cultures and belief system).

What arrogance!

No logic at all. 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY is that the same international court that the US, Russia, China nor any Middle Easten country is actually a member of ?

I’ve often said that to get a better understanding of the Middle East crises you need to see and hear what’s being said in Arabic or indeed Hebrew. I came across this website yesterday, it’s run by an ex US foreign service expert who recently gave testimony to congress on social media usage (linked to on the website, very interesting). They collect TV pieces and social media posts and provide translations.

Below is an interview with the mother of a Palestinian man who stabbed Isrealis and was shot thus becoming in her view a matyr. She says she’d gladly see both her other sons do the same. All very Islamist extremist stuff. The site also has some disturbing social media images of children posing with knives and a clip from another TV interview after parents in Gaza named their baby “knife of Jeruslam”

Middle East Media Research Institue – Plaestinian Mother

Baby named Knife of Jerusalem

Junkyard
    Free Member

JY is that the same international court that the US, Russia, China nor any Middle Easten country is actually a member of ?

No that would be the fictional one that exists only in your mind

FWIW the first three have judges on that court and , unless no middle eastern country is a member of the UN, then that but will be wrong to there is always one muslim/arab judge currently Moroccan FWIW]

Anyway thanks for yet another thrilling insight into your expertise 😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Court_of_Justice#Criticisms

I know how much you like to read up on things so here is the court in al its glory

One would think you would tire of self pwning but apprently not. Oh thanks for taking the time to copy JHJ and using the internet video resources to support your well documented and highly insightful views

FWIW wiki is rather insightful in your choice of source

The institute was co-founded in 1998 by Yigal Carmon, a former Israeli military intelligence officer and Meyrav Wurmser, an Israeli-born American political scientist. MEMRI states that its goal is to “bridge the language gap between the Middle East and the West”.[2] Critics charge that it aims to portray the Arab and Muslim world in a negative light, through the production and dissemination of inaccurate translations and by selectively translating views of extremists while deemphasizing or ignoring mainstream opinions.

Imagine that eh you found a biased source …I am speechless,as I am sure you are, at your bad luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_Media_Research_Institute

I wonder if it has interesting social media clips of settlers views or those who are beating up innocent people for being a bit dark skinned and near a bus – perhaps you just missed them in your search for truth?

Respectfully this is all a very JHJ type exchange.
    Even your appeal to its authority* – clearly you cannot learn- was factually incorrect so you are actually getting worse not better here.

* why do you keep doing these ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆
    I apologise unreservedly and, out of respect, I will not make this comparison again.

chewkw
    Free Member

The problem is in middle east related to Palestinian people and the Israeli so why are their problems so important to you lot lefties elite in BritLand? (Lefties elite <- 😆 )

You have no relatives over there …

You do not have the same culture …

You do not believe in their God …

You are merely trouble makers trying to intervene in others affairs.

You have No justification whatsoever apart from banging on about others affairs.

You lot are the fire starters adding fuel to fire creating miserable lives for others. 🙄

“You shall not pass!” said Gandalf the grey.
    😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All hail the kill-file.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Borders change with wars JY, Isreals neighbours (until they where defeated) and Hamas want to wipe it from the face of the earth via armed Jihad. I was referring to the court the Palestinians recently joined, seems your quote was from a different one then.

Did you watch any of the clips ? They are recorded from tv and social media posts. It matters not a jot who is translating them. Did you see the social media stills of kids with knives. All very reminiscent of the ISIS videos and Vicenews reporting. The MEMRI material mirrors exactly the Vicenews coverage in their recent series on the Intifada.

Very far from being “bad luck” the MEMRI site is a very depressing but totally expected verification of what’s really happening. Did you get the bit about the lead journalist speaking to the senate ? Take the time and read the submission

chewkw
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

All hail the kill-file.

Oh no you don’t! 😆

Lifer
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

Chewkw.com

Is that a tribute to me?

I like! :mrgreen:

Junkyard
    Free Member

The MEMRI material mirrors exactly the Vicenews coverage in their recent series on the Intifada.

You mean that there is more than one source of biased zionist news that you have managed to source on the entire interwebz. The fact you use this as another appeal to authority is as predictable as it is risible,

the MEMRI site is a very depressing but totally expected verification of what’s really happening.

Its not verification at all its biased and one sided reporting designed to appeal to folk like you who wallow in one sides confirmation bias. You really are blinkered

Could you highlight anything it says critical of Israel or of Jewish actions you now for balance ?

Critics charge that it aims to portray the Arab and Muslim world in a negative light, through the production and dissemination of inaccurate translations and by selectively translating views of extremists while deemphasizing or ignoring mainstream opinions.

Prove that is untrue

TBH as both sides are killing each other i would have assumed by now most folk have realised that some folk, on either side, really dislike each other. I am not sure what you think you are proving here.

chewkw
    Free Member

delete ….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has anyone actually replied to anything he has said on this thread other than to point out they are not reading his posts?

The loon will even reply to this wont he – there is no emoticon for shrugging ones shoulders in a mixture of scorn and pity is there.

chewkw
    Free Member

This is funny … 😆
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0XARbmEWXs[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

I’ve often said that to get a better understanding of the Middle East crises you need to see and hear what’s being said in Arabic or indeed Hebrew.

Before you start confusing yourself with YouTube videos, having a basic grasp of the facts would probably be a good start for you. Your repeated factual falsehoods about the peace process, about the Palestinian constitution, about 1947 and now the International Court of Justice show that this is a particular problem for you.

What exactly do you think the MEMRI stuff proves anyway? That there are a lot of aggro merchants with access to media? I’m not sure that’s really a great insight in the Holy Land, and it just leads to cut and paste wars with you and gonzy competing to find the most spittle-flecked extremist rhetoric from the side of which you disapprove most.

Junkyard
    Free Member

KOna nails it.

the real issue here, as in NI and everywhere elese it has happened is that we have polarissed communities who never mingle with large portions on borhs sides devaluing and hating the other.

Peace will only come when the people involved change

Both sides need to ask if what they are currently doign will bring about peace

Israel, and is zionist supporters, need to understand you cannot win lands in war then claim them as your own and that giving up what they stole is the only road to peace and Palestinians need to embrace a two state solution with boundaries based on international law

I dont think either side is anywhere near reaching that conclusion and some cannot even accept their side does anything wrong and of they do its because the other side provoked them even when they are bombing schools.

NO arab nation would be able to act like Israel has in that region with expansionist policies, assassinations abroad and secret nukes.
    Deciding who is worse is pointless and it wont bring about peace but if you treat people like animals they will act like animals.

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh no you don’t!

You leftie women rights abuser … Ya, you do. You do.

You condone it when you support those religious fanatics.

What a bunch of trouble makers who cannot even get their own priority and logic right.

🙄

DrJ

I wonder if chewy’s gibberish makes sense in his own head.

ninfan
    Free Member

Israel, and is zionist supporters, need to understand you cannot win lands in war then claim them as your own and that giving up what they stole is the only road to peace

Haven’t Israel proven repeatedly that they are willing to do this? Return of the Sinai as part of the Israeli-Egypt peace treaty, return of lands in the wadi araba in the Jordanian peace deal – longstanding discussions regards return of the loan heights in return for a peace deal with Syria etc. It’s also clear that these peace deals, once struck, have been long lasting and supported by cooperation on both sides.

ransos
    Free Member

Haven’t Israel proven repeatedly that they are willing to do this?

No. HTH.

ninfan
    Free Member

Right, so what about the examples above?

Figments of imagination I presume, rather than well documented examples of them returning lands won in conflict with their former enemies, in return for peace?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume its a persona or he needs medication

I dont know ninfan look at a legal map of Israel and an actual map of Israel and explain in relation to the Palestinians- you really want to claim the Israel position is we will give back all the land and remove all the illegal settlements in return for peace. TBH I doubt they could deliver on that even if they tried. Its clearly not their position in Israel/Palestine so your point is wrong.

DO you really think Israel would even go back to the 1967 line? Let alone the 1948?
    TBH the map looks like there is only one side trying to wipe the other of the face of the map as zionists tell u show peaceful they really are as they continue to expand illegally

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 373 total)

The topic ‘Israel's Netanyahu sparks uproar by suggesting WWII-era Palestinian leader inspi’ is closed to new replies.