Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Isle of Wight riders?
  • poolman
    Free Member

I am planning a day’s cycling in 2 weeks on the IOW. Ferry over to Ryde for a day trip. Can anyone comment please on the plan:

Ryde – Cowes on circular road route (part of round the island route anticlockwise)
    Cowes – Newport on cycle track along river (on a Brompton & roadie bike, is it tarmac?)
    Newport – Seaview on quiet roads – back to Ryde.

Beach cafe in Gurnard – is it still good? looks a bit pricey at 8 quid a breakfast but I don’t live in UK so thats probably the going rate.

Pub in Wootton Bridge , I think its called the Sloop, is it good? I went ages ago so may have changed.

Any comments welcome or decent places to eat for a veggie & canivore, or decent routes c 30 miles from & back to Ryde.

Many thanks in advance

40mpg

All OK (and Newport-Cowes path is tarmac), but all the scenic bits (and hills) are on the South of the Island.

Probably a bit beyond reach in 30 miles.

Pub at Wootton Bridge is fine IIRC, does decent cider 🙂

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks 40mpg, glad to hear the path is tarmac in case of rain.

Is there a sailing club near Wootton Bridge with a clubhouse doing decent food? I just read about the reviews of Sloop!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seaview, Bembridge, Sandown would be more scenic

Folly Inn is pretty reliable pub food (and popular with sailors visiting the Island) link

There are a few reasonable Bistro places on Cowes High Street

I assume you know you can get across the Medina river via chain ferry in Cowes.

You can get a “flavour” of the sea/Solent from Cowes Green, Gurnard’s quite pretty and worth a look but not sure I’d make that the stop-over/destination.

To throw another idea into the mix is to consider the Ferry to Cowes (from Southampton) or Yarmouth from Lymington and do a loop to take in Yarmouth for something to eat and/or a quick visit to South side of Island eg Freshwater Bay

barn
    Free Member

From Newport, the old railway line goes all the way east to Sandown – very pretty, no cars!
    The Garlic Farm Cafe is a better option for lunch; great food, stunning farm, superb shop – highly recommended.
    The Boathouse (Springvale) or The Old Fort (Seaview) are also way better than The Sloop.

Enjoy your pootle – it’s a wonderful place.

MIP if you want any further info. 🙂

poolman
    Free Member

thanks Barn & Jambalaya, top advice.

We will now do Ryde – Cowes – Newport – Sandown – Bembridge – Seaview – Ryde.

Lunch at Garlic farm, use bike tracks Cowes – Newport & Newport – Sandown.

Is the fish and chip shop on Ryde espanade opposite the pier still good?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight riders?’ is closed to new replies.