Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Is your LBS in the Top 50 ………
  • Anonymous
    Free Member
    GaryLake
    Free Member

Wow, mine's second! Good lads!

benji_allen
    Free Member

No. But I still love them. In a non gay way.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

No as we don't really have one in Gloucester

Jase
    Free Member

Why is Wiggle's mail order in there (10th)?

What does mailorder need cytech mechanics for?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Building bikes?

benji_allen
    Free Member

Dimmadan, I'm sure i drove past a decent (had decent bikes in it – I think) bike shop in Gloucester the other day when I was working there. Trouble is I can't even remember where I was working.

oldfart

Quite a few Evans branches but no Halfrauds ?Hmmmm .

Daffy

13th and 24th

mooman
    Free Member

Did Evans Cycles run this poll by any chance?

Ive dealt with a good few shops in that list. By my experience – Evans Cycles would be lucky to make the top 100 ..

I`d certainly expect to see 18bikes somewhere in the top10.

project
    Free Member

Mines fourth, and also a specialized concept store next door,nice bikes,good pricing,and freindly.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Dear God, there are some appalling shops in there very high up the list. Does "highly qualified" mean "up their own ar*es so can't be bothered to actually sell anything or even acknowledge their customers"?

awh
    Free Member

ACT compiles league of the UK's 50 most qualified cycle stores

Isn't this just a list of who has the most qualified staff? Qualifications don't necessarily mean good customer service, you'd hope the training would covered it though!

GJP
    Free Member

Isn't this just a list of which shops have spent (the most) money on cytech training courses in the last twelve months?

deus

What's the Hub in GT doing there, it's always been poor

crispybacon
    Free Member

wot Dave Hinde not in the top 50? shocking 😉

Rochey
    Free Member

Err NO.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Only three Scottish bike shops? What does that tell you?

18bikes

Interesting to see thoughts on this. We were happy to get top 50 – not sure how we'd manage top 10 at our size! It's based on number of Cytech qualifications (different levels, different "points") plus extra points for being an ACT member. Much of Cytech training is funded, certainly has been for us.

I'm sure there are capable mechanics/shops not on the list and vice versa.

Grimy
    Free Member

And there was I, trusting the local family run bike shop that have been building bikes for generations, when I could have gone to one of cytechs top 50 and let some spoty 18yr old whos done a weeks course service my bike. 🙄

stompy

Mines at 44…. well my old one, they were never very helpful so stopped bothering 👿

genesis
    Free Member

The 2 best lbs' round here aren't on there but the one with a rep for poor service is 😉

benji_allen
    Free Member

Looks like some of them need more investment in customer service. One I had trouble with aren't in there though thank god.

montylikesbeer

No and glad about it too, long live Ride On in Rossendale…………….

Dimmadan
    Free Member

benji_allen, striking bikes on Bristol road.

They are not great. Limited stock and expensive.

GrahamA
    Free Member

If the score is based on the number of staff going through Cytech certification does it also allow for staff retention? Could a shop make the top 50 because of it had a high turn over rate?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Both on actually. But i wouldv'e put no 37 a lot, lot higher & definately higher than no 24.
    The only Evans I've ever been in (C.a.s.t.l.e.f.o.r.d.) Isn't there! What a surprise.

Simply counting the number of qualifications held by the staff doesn't seem like a good way of judging a shop.
    Surely a shop with one mechanic with a degree in bike repair is better than a shop with five mechanics with a GCSE Grade D each.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What's a local bike shop…? 😕

roblerner
    Free Member

Whoop! Mine are at number 2 – well deserved in my opinion.

grunty
    Free Member

Buckingham Bikes are in there in Aylesbury, but I don't rate them at all. Complete rip off merchants.

New cassette fitted, asked for a new chain to be fitted on top. Charged me for fitting the new chain as well. "Hang on", it should be in the price as you had to take old one off and you would have had to refit it as part of the price.

I personally recommend Mountain Mania in Tring. I will drive the extra distance NOT to give my money to Buckingham Bikes

Harry_the_Spider

Mine (Cooksons) isn't. They are ace therefore that list is pish.

crazy-legs

It may not be an indication of customer service (it's rare in bigger shops that the mechanics serve the customer anyway so it's kind of unrelated). At least it shows which shops are investing in improving their service by having more highly qualified staff and the shops involved should be praised for at least trying.

Offroading
    Free Member

None from Edinburgh – no suprise there.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

that to train on a cytech course you have to travel into england?

Drac

Seems to be ones with high population areas near by or trail centre so probably a lot of voters who haven't a clue about bikes.

Ambrose

Skyline cycles (Glyncorrwg) not on the list, despite some very able staff, excellent service, reputation etc.

The other striking thing is the large number of shops in areas not particularly famed for MTBing. Ipswich, London etc.

allyharp

That England has far more bike shops than Scotland?

druidh
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Seems to be ones with high population areas near by or trail centre so probably a lot of voters who haven't a clue about bikes.

Voters?

AlasdairMc

Number of qualified mechanics does not equate to decent mechanics. There are some bike shops who will employ a single mechanic of near God-like abilities but who won't make the list because a big shop has ten newly qualified inexperienced staff.

To be honest, the whole article read like a press release and will not influence my choice of LBS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Is your LBS in the Top 50 ………’ is closed to new replies.