Home Forums Bike Forum Is this all Rim Tape Residue?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is this all Rim Tape Residue?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

I was looking to change my tyres this week and removed the old ones but the rim tape was looking very brittle and peeling.

it came off pretty easy but the inside of the rims have this spotted pattern. If this is rim tape residue how on earth do you shift it? Does not peel off with finger nails. WD40 does not touch it. But pretty sure the carbon rims should not look like this on inside? Although I peeled some stickers off that the original tape was covering and there was the same spotted pattern under the stickers.

never dealt with rim Tape before as my last Bontrager wheels had rim strips.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Could be the layer of adhesive remained stuck to the rim? Are they carbon?

ossify

Looks far too neat and uniform to be tape residue. Probably something from manufacturing, or just a pattern that looked nice when it was new.

Just a guess… I don’t have carbon wheels.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah they are carbon rims.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Could be the solvent in the adhesive that has removed the lacquer from the rim. Had similar with a set of carbon bars and glue on grips

jayx2a
    Free Member

Hmmm, I wonder if it is the lacquer it might cause issues sticking fresh tape on as the surface doesn’t feel that smooth.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

It’s uniform so I feel like it’s deliberate to offer better adhesion for tape. The fact that it was under the original tape confirms this I would have thought..

jayx2a
    Free Member

Will tape it tomorrow and fit tyre on one of the rims and see how it holds (or not lol)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I peeled some stickers off that the original tape was covering and there was the same spotted pattern under the stickers

Has to have been made like that I’d say.  Just make sure it’s clean and tape over it.

jayx2a
    Free Member

How tight are you meant to pull the tape as you fit? This is my first attempt!

pothead
    Free Member

As tight as u can. I find using a scrunched up cloth to apply even pressure whilst stretching the tape over the rim gets the best results if that makes sense. The type/brand of tape makes a big difference, I’ve used gorilla tape on cheaper alloy rims and never had any problems, it’s also the easiest to fit in my experience  but not a chance I’d use it on carbon rims. Sometimes helps to put a tube in under high pressure overnight as this helps press the tape onto the rim before using any sealant

K

Depends on how stretchy the tape is, but normal as tight as you can so it lays fully on to the surface without any wrinkles.

BearBack
    Free Member

Wheel upright between your feet, start a couple of inches of tape on the rim with the loose end away from you. Pull about 10″ of tape off the reel, hold the wheel tight with your to toes and put tension into the tape as you pull those 10″ towards you. With your other hands thumb, work the tape into the rim bed with the roll still under tension.

Rotate the wheel away from you a bit, pull another 10″ and repeat.

At the end, overlap by a few inches.

Go back around with your thumb and push into the rim bed again, then do the two sides.

Rag over your thumb if you’ve delicate skin.

Your target it to get the tape set without wrinkles and you can do this best if you apply the tape to the  rim bed.

donslow

Reading with interest as I’m about to attempt taping rims (albeit alloy) for the first time also

@BearBack
    if I’m reading to right and going on what you said above, does that mean going round the rim 3 times with tape / 3 different layers?

BearBack
    Free Member

no, sorry, just once, but your rim tape – once deformed to the shape of the inner rim profile – should butt up against the inner rim side walls. Rim tape should be one size larger than your inner rim width to account for the extra distance of the curve in the rim bed.

The priority is to stick the tape into the rim bed (done at application) then with your thumb in the “go back around” step, a second press down in pass 1. passes 2 and 3 are to press the already applied tape onto the sides of the rim.

jayx2a
    Free Member

First wheel done. Messed up first time and way too many air bubbles. This time round there was one small pocket of air but hoping it’s ok but we shall see. Inflated and can’t hear any air escaping but will keep it quite high psi before I put any sealant in too see how it’s holding up.

I’m giving my thumb a rest before the next wheel.

donslow

Thanks @BearBack, will give it a shot and hope for the best

Nice work @jayx2a best of luck for wheel #2

jayx2a
    Free Member

Good luck with yours. My thumbs hurt already and it’s only half a job lol.

If it does not hold air I may well cry!!

onehundredthidiot

I just use this. It’s so much easier. No residue, no stickiness, just line it up and job done.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/shop/components/inner-tubes/2019-2bliss-ready-rim-strip-14850/option/

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips. Both tyres have held full pressure for 3 rides now. No sign of leaks or fluid.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.