• This topic has 175 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)
  • Is there ANY good news from the out vote?
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Some actual good here:

why is that good ?

They are just thinking of their own pockets again and not anybody that is suffering from the policies of the EU, or whether the EU is actually a good thing.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Ryan91 I agree that these places exist and people are absolutely fed up but this will change nothing – no one is going to invest on Nissan Sunderland levels in every post industrial town north of watford. I don’t think for one minute that this stuff is fixable at any level. I have an American business colegue who is well travelled and he points out that nobody in the UK with investment cash would have ever backed Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Cisco HP or a raft of other VC businesses- the problem is we are ruled (yes ruled) by a class of people who are little more than Landlords and they will only investment in fixed assets and not human endeavour- this is my massive concern about the whole brexit bollocks we simply don’t have the cultural or fiscal structure to create anything and if anyone wants to test this walk into your bank with 2 propositions the first £250k for a buy to let property or £250k to set up a manufacturing business that will create 10 jobs and I can guarantee Which one will get signed off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Some actual good here:

Propoganda 😉 Lets see how the Austrian Presidential re-vote goes ? My money is Brexit means a win for Hofer.

no one with investment cash would have backed Microsoft, Facebook, Google ..

Your friend is clueless, whilst the US has a larger and more aggressive venture capital scene we have plenty of such investors many of them investing in the US funds which back these companies. Whilst it may be a US based fund fhe investors are global.

Banks are absolutely not the place to go for venture capital, banks are not in the business of lending based on an idea – thats VC. Same here and in the US

footflaps

why is that good ?

Because it means 400m people in the EU will be spared he self inflicted misery which we have chosen to inflict upon ourselves!

I’d say it’s a really good result (just not for us).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Footflaps Europe is very very sick indeed. The reason IMF/OECD wanted us to Remain is they want us to prop it up and they are well aware a Brexit will be worse for Europe than it will be for the UK. We have a flexible and dynamic economy unlike the rigid and dated environment which fhe EU seeks to protect. We’ll be fine, I very much doubt the EU will be

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Footflaps Europe is very very sick indeed.

Is that why you’re there now?

footflaps

Footflaps Europe is very very sick indeed.

Yet, another #jambafact from the world’s biggest Eurosceptic.

The reason IMF/OECD wanted us to Remain is they want us to prop it up

Except they are they are punishing the £ more than the Euro, which suggests they think we are going to worse off than them…

Is that why you’re there now?

World’s biggest hypocrite….

igm

Jamba – is far right Austrian leadership a good thing?

I assume you mean this Hofer

Austrian far-right presidential candidate Norbert Hofer has said he does not want his country to leave the European Union, apparently softening his position on a future referendum.
    Mr Hofer is aiming to win a rerun of the presidential election on 2 October after his Freedom Party won a court challenge over voting irregularities.
    After UK voters backed Brexit, he said Austria might also hold a referendum.
    However, he has now made clear he thinks leaving would be a “mistake”.
    “I’m not in favour of an Austrian exit from the European Union; I’ve been annoyed for days that people have assumed I am,” he told Die Presse newspaper

mikewsmith
    Free Member

“I’m not in favour of an Austrian exit from the European Union; I’ve been annoyed for days that people have assumed I am,” he told Die Presse newspaper

And if history has taught us anything it’s never good to upset insecure Austrian racists…

Still light on the good news then…

hora
    Free Member

“Convince me”

Stop reading newspapers and the BBC for a start.

All I can see is ‘your holiday spending money will suffer’ instead of our export trade will boom.

We do alot of exports, this is great for exports, shit for holiday money.

Start thinking positive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All I can see is ‘your holiday spending money will suffer’ instead of our export trade will boom.

Start thinking positive.
    Ah thinking positive, forgot about that, along with bury head in sand and ignore the news….
    Great for exports, unless we need to ship them, or they are made from UK sourced materials etc. Or neglecting the fact that the UK runs a massive trade deficit so imports significantly more than it exports…

Convince me with facts rather than vague statements.

codybrennan
    Free Member

It’s shit for a lot more than holiday money, hora.

Any idea how much we import from Europe, and how this is affecting and will continue to affect prices? If you’re not sure, the BBC and newspapers can help with answers.

I’m afraid a positive mental attitude is unlikely to help with things like this, old chap.

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1,MWS.

hora
    Free Member

Hi we export an unknown amount to Europe. There are no trade tarrifs as yet but when they are c3%? Who knows. If we sell what people want they will buy it regardless of 3% difference. People here will still want to buy posh VAG products. The world will continue to turn.

codybrennan
    Free Member

The world will continue to turn.

….but costing us all more with each rotation.

Freedom at any price eh?

hora
    Free Member

Why? Do you have a crystal ball?

I’m not arsed about materialism. Are you? I think people suffer from life because they worry about their financial standing, their status to their colleagues, their house prices instead of chilling abit more.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hora, not sure what BBC pages you are looking at, but I’m seeing property investment funds shutting down, job vacancies crashing, scientists losing up to 1bn in EU funding, the ftse250 dropping, racist attacks, and yes also the pound anticipated to drop to 1.15 or even parity with the dollar. We haven’t even started the process of leaving yet!

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are just thinking of their own pockets again and not anybody that is suffering from the policies of the EU, or whether the EU is actually a good thing.

They certainly lack the altruism and putting others first that defines you as it defines all right wingers and the parties they support:roll:

Whose fault it it now that our economy is going to the dogs?

Stop reading newspapers and the BBC Be completely ignorant for a start.

The foremer is true the later is just wishful thinking

We run a trade deficit so by a lot you mean less than we import. Given this even you should be able to work out whether we make money or costs us money.

Start thinking positive.

Yes think only in soundbites, ignore the evidence and rally behind the hollow cry of optimistic Hora…the economics expert with a keen eye for the nuances of international politics. He is the beacon we should all turn to. **** the papers and the experts BELIEVE In Hora after all he Believed in Lance and if you cannot trust Hora optimism then whoses can you trust ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chewkw seems to have stopped posting triumphalist Brexit drivel, which is a positive.

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard your are a ray of positivity. As are ALOT on STW and FB posting endless gifs and newspaper articles. Why not move on?

Junkyard
    Free Member

he got banned – no idea of the length- on vote night as all he was doing – i assume i use file blicker for him- was posting pictures

I really dont see what the fella brings to the forum tbh beyond a lowering of the IQ and a raising of the word count.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hora, what is there to move on to? We’ve no PM, no opposition, no plan, no solution.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’d tend to agree JY, but I always avoid engaging him as I was never sure whether he was taking the piss or had some serious issues.

kimbers

I think chewk had some sort of spambot Brexit breakdown and got banhamnered.

While hora’s hippy idealism is commendable, it’s not so easy in the real world ‘short term pain’ means recession, job losses and misery.

For me it means real worry over my job as my grant with Welcome was up for review this week (stressful enough anyway), I have no idea how Brexit may effect their funding plans.
    Immediately it means that the DNA sequencing project I had a quote for in USD from collaborators in China takes 10% more out of our budget now.

hora
    Free Member

The remain beacon callmeDave is hanging around causing uncertainty by not going sooner. Markets like something more stable. Hopefully the new leader won’t be so quick to continue the policy of putting troops in far lands.

I’ll stay positive thanks. I just wish Corbyn would bloody go and the Labour party fire itself up.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Or neglecting the fact that the UK runs a massive trade deficit so imports significantly more than it exports…”

…that’s the problem that a weak £ will solve in the long term.

Germany and Japan both had their currencies fixed low post war. Did them a massive amount of good.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why not move on?

When you are heading in the wrong direction maybe carrying on regardless isn’t the best plan. There is still a chance to turn this mess around

zippykona

I can’t wait for the day when China tells us what to do. They are so much nicer than those Europeans.
    The while thing is a monumental **** up.
    When had a second referendum in 75 I want a second referendum now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hora is a man to be listened to, it’s not 2 days ago since he was lecturing us on the British fishing industry, and I darent argue with him, after all he’d read two online newspaper articles on the subject, so is a bit of a heavyweight.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“While hora’s hippy idealism is commendable, it’s not so easy in the real world ‘short term pain’ means recession, job losses and misery.
    For me it means real worry over my job as my grant with Welcome was up for review this week (stressful enough anyway), I have no idea how Brexit may effect their funding plans.
    Immediately it means that the DNA sequencing project I had a quote for in USD from collaborators in China takes 10% more out of our budget now”

Well yes, but I’m not sure this is really good news as requested by the OP.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I don’t want a second referendum, I just want some politicians to stand up and say the obvious truth that the whole idea is a disaster and should be abandoned asap. However Loathsome want to banish me for being pessimistic, apparently if you just stick your fingers in your ears and go lalalalala it’s all just peachy.

hora
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge I showed two examples of the EU fishing industry lifted off Google from the beeb vaults. I’ve watched the news on this since the 90’s.

My memory doesn’t extend as far as the first page of Google or the lead paragraph of the increasingly lazy reporting of the Guardian.

Let’s just see what Autumn brings.

Ciao

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I don’t want a second referendum, I just want some politicians to stand up and say the obvious truth that the whole idea is a disaster and should be abandoned asap.”

This. A second referendum isn’t going to help at all.

A calm Civil servant will explain to the new PM why ignoring a referendum (with some kind of democratic fig leaf) will be less damaging than doing whatever “leave the EU” means. …and that’s what will happen.

Loads of EU referendums have gone the wrong way for the establishment throughout the EU and it’s always been sorted out the way the establishment thinks is best for us.

This will be the same.

The only way we’re leaving is if leaving is practical and relatively painless, in which case, fine by me.

Dave
    Free Member

Hora, not sure what BBC pages you are looking at, but I’m seeing property investment funds shutting down, job vacancies crashing, scientists losing up to 1bn in EU funding, the ftse250 dropping, racist attacks, and yes also the pound anticipated to drop to 1.15 or even parity with the dollar. We haven’t even started the process of leaving yet!

What you need to do is stop being informed by newspapers and BBC news. We’re post-facts now, ignorance is bliss.

It’s all about the reckons innit Hora?

igm

outofbreath – Member
    “I don’t want a second referendum, I just want some politicians to stand up and say the obvious truth that the whole idea is a disaster and should be abandoned asap.”
    This. A second referendum isn’t going to help at all.
    A calm Civil servant will explain to the new PM why ignoring a referendum (with some kind of democratic fig leaf) will be less damaging than doing whatever “leave the EU” means. …and that’s what will happen.

Agreed. Now where’s Sir Humphrey…

igm

I thought of one, I thought of one.

It makes watching “Yes, Minister” even betterer.

Edit: and I have the complete set on DVD so I can save money at a time of financial uncertainty / instability.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ll stay positive thanks. I just wish Corbyn would bloody go and the Labour party fire itself up.

Ah, yep, that’s the problem, not enough people resigning. How did I not spot that sooner!!

shermer75
    Free Member

The remain beacon callmeDave is hanging around causing uncertainty by not going sooner.

To be fair he was also heavily criticised for going too soon, not sure how he could have got the timing right on that one

shermer75
    Free Member

Markets like something more stable.

You mean like staying in the EU?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Is there ANY good news from the out vote?’ is closed to new replies.