• This topic has 175 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 16 posts - 161 through 176 (of 176 total)
  • Is there ANY good news from the out vote?
  • theocb
    Free Member

To be fair, any significant change is going to bring uncertainty which wouldn’t reflect well on the markets within 2 weeks of such a change.

IMO some of you are focusing on negative aspects over a short time frame.. recession, pensions, funding, jobs, xenophobia, racism, etc etc but what is important is how things look in 15-25 years (we don’t want short term politics anymore)

Of course we could have had more of the same and stability if we voted ‘IN’ but most are in agreement (I think) that more of the same is not whats needed for the 50 years ahead.
    A 50/50 vote with slight bias to leave was exactly what was needed for significant change.

How can someone give positive evidence of an unprecedented change? It’s never happened before, nobody knows how the negotiations are going to go, or how the EU will reform, or how are political parties will adapt and nobody knows what our own politicians are going to suggest based on a 50/50 split of the population.
    Anybody suggesting they KNOW the negotiations (if we even get to that point) with the EU will be negative are making it up!

slowoldman

I don’t want a second referendum, I just want some politicians to stand up and say the obvious truth that the whole idea is a disaster and should be abandoned asap.

This. The new PM needs to grow a pair – which could be interesting.

I showed two examples of the EU fishing industry lifted off Google from the beeb vaults. I’ve watched the news on this since the 90’s.

Wow, so long…?

kimbers

etc etc but what is important is how things look in 15-25 years (we don’t want short term politics anymore)

So just one generation’s lives screwed up, that’s fine then

footflaps

We do alot of exports, this is great for exports, shit for holiday money.

Not necessarily.

As a country, we’re low on natural resources, so import a lot of raw materials, whose prices will rise. The lower £ only reduces the cost of the UK sourced part of the cost, which will be labour. So a 10% reduction in the £ won’t mean our exports are 10% less, they’ll be somewhere between 0% and 10% less.

A lot of our export is financial services, all of which are at risk right now with the question over Passporting. The longer the uncertainty continues, the more these services are likely to migrate to Paris / Frankfurt.

So the current crisis is far from ‘good for exports’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The remain beacon callmeDave is hanging around causing uncertainty by not going sooner.

Yes everything else has been so clearly set out that all the uncertainty is definitely Dave’s fault. I assume the BBC is sadly lacking in such powerful insights?

Markets like something more stable. Hopefully the new leader won’t be so quick to continue the policy of putting troops in far lands.

A tangent too far for me to follow.

I’ll stay positive thanks.

We noticed we just hoped you had a factual basis for the optimism but it seems to be mainly lack of insight and well that its actually.

I just wish Corbyn would bloody go and the Labour party fire itself up.

In a two party state the opposition and a powerful one is required to hold the government to account. Its in no one best interest, whomever is in power, to see an ineffective opposition hell bent on self destruction. it might be amusing depending on your leaning but its not healthy for our democracy.

Clover

I’m all for balancing the economy and exporting more. However, I see the solution not as exporting our London jobs and services to reduce their influence but as stimulating more jobs in the north.

I’m not sure how we’re going to achieve this with smaller tax revenue (banking is looking most likely to lose out* and that’s 11% of government tax revenue). And as others have noted, if we manufacture things using imported ingredients our costs go up. Already one of our local (and very excellent) brewers has been affected by the exchange rates – a 10% shift isn’t great if you’re not operating high margins.

*unless we negotiate something very like EU membership in all but name

footflaps

We’ll probably get more US tourists as the £ is the 2016 worst performer so far!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-08/pound-overtakes-argentine-peso-to-become-2016-s-worst-performer

footflaps

I’m not sure how we’re going to achieve this

We’re not. Which is pretty much why evert ‘expert’ / Economist said leaving the EU was a very bad idea. We’re just going to all be poorer from now on, and I suspect the poorer regions will suffer most with big increases in poverty.

igm

And deaths from poverty related illness rising.

I’m a cheery sod today aren’t I?

zippykona

Who is on our crack team of negotiators? Are they people who know about this stuff? If they are experts they probably want to stay in . Therefore we will probably end up with **** wits who know nothing except how to piss of foreigners.
    This really is the biggest **** up in our country’s history.
    If you voted out and would like to apologise,feel free.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

etc etc but what is important is how things look in 15-25 years (we don’t want short term politics anymore)

So simply at best hope for stagnation etc. for 15 years then see some improvements. This is very different to the view put forward by Vote Leave isn’t it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

theocb, what’s actually going to be good in 20 years, to make up for the 20 years of shit that you’re anticipating? Sure, the country will survive in some form or another. I’m anticipating a smaller, poorer, more isolated, disunited kingdom. Assuming we go through with it, that is.

igm

15-25 years.

Not sure Scotland will give the UK that much of a chance (they might), but more importantly, in a smaller more globalised world than during previous periods of stagnation, the young and the educated and the skilled will pursue other options on where to live where their opportunities are greater. And there will be some.

Which throws up all sorts of interesting demographic and economic changes.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“the young and the educated and the skilled will pursue other options on where to live where their opportunities are greater.”

Thus reducing net migration and easing the housing crisis.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Not sure Scotland will give the UK that much of a chance”

If Scotland can leave the UK and the EU without adverse effect, why can’t the UK leave the EU?

igm

Outofbreath – think about a society where the young and the skilled are leaving in anything like significant numbers. What sort of society are you left with?

The housing crisis would be the least of your worries.

As for Scotland, they would (rightly or wrongly) blame Westminster and the leave vote in Wales and England, and ask themselves if they wanted to be saddled with the people’s who brought that economic situation upon them.

Viewing 16 posts - 161 through 176 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Is there ANY good news from the out vote?’ is closed to new replies.