• This topic has 175 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Is there ANY good news from the out vote?
  • Pook

I can’t find any concrete examples

sandwicheater

I found £5 yesterday*

*This may have nothing to do with the vote, i can’t be sure.

allthegear
    Free Member

price of concrete will come down?

Rachel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Boris is in the news a bit less.

atlaz
    Free Member

Cameron gone. Boris not likely to be next PM. Those are good things. But they only happened because of a bad thing. So on balance I’m not sure they count as good news.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not all leave voters are stupid racists.
    Some of them aren’t racist. 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cameron resigned and Osbourne’s leadsrship ambitions are doomed 😉

The really good news from Brexit will only become apparent a year or two from now. At the moment doom amd gloom headlines help sell papers / clickbait and vaccum created by lack of Government planning hasn’t helped.

Lower currency good for exporters

Junker is really p.ssed off and may well be pushed out by Merkel. Brexit vote likely to lead to further eurosceptism in Europe and thus better negotiating position for the UK

Pigface
    Free Member

Dreadful for importers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The really good news from Brexit will only become apparent a year or two from now.

That’s reassuring.

Seeing as I lost my job on Tuesday (not directly Brexit’s fault, but it was the last nail in the coffin), could someone please direct me towards all these benefits immigrants could supposedly claim as the mortgage is due on the 15th, not in a year or two.

Thanks.

Cougar

It’s been quite effective at getting rid of shitehawks.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes.

1. One of my credit card companies reduced it’s fee for 0% cash transfers to 0.9% so I took the cash and stuck it in my Santander account getting 3%.
    2. By the time my mortgage comes up for review in October I should be able to get a good deal on that too.

MSP

The rest of Europe is now looking at the right wing parties with the disdain they deserve, and instead of pandering to their racism and senseless jingoism is now starting to counter their arguments.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The really good news from Brexit will only become apparent a year or two from now.

The really bad news from brexit has barely begun. Article 50 will be the next trigger and then things will get steadily worse over the following two years of negotiations.

Cameron resigned and Osbourne’s leadsrship ambitions are doomed

To be replaced by even more rightwing candidates.

But bad for a country that consistently imports more than it exports.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But bad for a country that consistently imports more than it exports.

True, but in general a trade deficit is a bad thing isn’t it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Fuel prices are up. Should be better for the environment

P-Jay
    Free Member

Farage has stepped down (again) but ‘watch this space’.

Boris is out into the wilderness.

We may get snap general election.

A weaken £ might close the trade deficit, maybe, a little bit, but probably not immediately.

I don’t see Cameron going as a positive, whilst he’s a Tory, and a Bullington member (like Boris) he was at least seemingly able to bow to public pressure and ‘u turn’ on unpopular laws.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I won a tenner on a bet.

It is possible to hope that the outcome will merely be very bad and not completely catastrophic.

That’s all I can come up with.

P-Jay
    Free Member

jambalaya

Could you in plain English, quantify the good news?

What, real world, tangible, positive do you think will come about in the near or more distant future?

The maddening thing for me is that before they all resigned the leave campaign could never offer any tangible benefits, just vague rhetoric.

PJM1974
    Free Member

No.

I skimmed the Andrea Leadsom briefing and I facepalmed. I wonder if there will ever be a political crisis in this soon to be trimmed country that doesn’t precipitate a lurch to the right.

tthew

Brexit vote likely to lead to further eurosceptism in Europe and thus better negotiating position for the UK

Hmm, assuming that any other European government is daft enough to offer a referendum I suspect the likely shit storm of the next couple of years here will mean that voters won’t plump for out. And the EU won’t offer decent compromises to further reduce that risk.

Your view may, (does!) differ.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dreadful for importers

Indeed @Pigface which encourages people to “buy British”, fwiw managed currency declines are an option for those hoping to boost local economy especially for countries with a trade deficit

Gary_M
    Free Member

Good news for me is that my pension value went up 3.2% in less than 2 weeks. It may come crashing down though at some point.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tthew Le Penn is likely to offer a referendum on the euro as part of her election manifesto. Switzerland already had a Referendum and voted to end free movement (Govt stuggling to implement). If Hofer wins in the re-run Austrian Presdiential election we could well see something there. You are quite right that many politcal parties will do anything remotely democratic like asking the people what they think.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Indeed @Pigface which encourages people to “buy British”, fwiw managed currency declines are an option for those hoping to boost local economy especially for countries with a trade deficit

Except for things that we have to import, e.g. food, and things that are traded in other currencies, e.g. oil, which will drive up the cost of pretty much everything. I always find it telling that people who play up the positives of a lower exchange rate (and yes I know that there are some) are pretty slow to point out the negatives. I wonder why that could possibly be!

epicyclo

Yes, Scotland will very likely become independent.

The reasonable and decent people who wanted to leave would the EU have been insufficient so I will be eternally grateful to the Daily Mail and the BritNat racists who managed to convince sufficient knuckleheaded numpties to top up their number and vote Leave.

corroded
    Free Member

We got our country back and can kick out the darkies… oh, hang on…

Never mind, at least we can go back to buying bendy British-grown bananas.

Pigface
    Free Member

buy British

What exactly do we make these days?

bails

Empty promises and resignation statements mostly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is our output not something like 88% service.

P-Jay
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Dreadful for importers

“Buying British” might seem like the solution, but it’s not really in a Global Economy when you live in a country without much heavy industry to produce the raw materials nor much left of Oil Production as Oil is traded in US$.

The majority of UK manufacturers are making high-end consumer goods made from imported materials which currently don’t have a trade agreement on import / export duties, transported by road, sea, rail and air with fuel traded in dollars. Whilst the raw materials may be a relatively small % of the final cost of the goods, in order to make them cheaper than imports you also need to trade globally, the UK is too small a market for true economies of scale – our goods abroad will subject to import duties in their markets – details unknown, but without the bargaining power of being in the EU, won’t be as good as they are now – especially inside the EU (our biggest market) as currently it’s duty free.

Unless of course we join the EEA, but then global markets will be happy with us again and the £ will return to previous levels. Same cost, no voting power in the EU.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Except for things that we have to import, e.g. food,

I’m far from Jamba, but if we weren’t in the EU food prices would be through the floor due to oversupply (and a lot of farms would be out of business). I’m not a fan of the CAP, i think it would be better implemented along the lines of the small brewery relief scheme, whereby small farms would be offered subsidies to make them competitive against agribusinesses, and agribusiness would be left to fend for itself. The net effect would hopefully be lower efficiency/productivity (which keeps people employed), and smaller, more diverse farms which are better for the environment.

The price of Spanish tomatoes may go up, but the price of home grown produce may fluctuate either way.

And hey, you can grow tomatoes on Teesside (it’s actually quite clever, one farmer even manages it as a byproduct of electricity generation, but that’s a long story!)

and things that are traded in other currencies, e.g. oil,

Yes, but we produce (some of) our oil, which is going to make the north sea slightly more competitive, and make our oil and gas industry competitive (as an industry we export a lot of expertise as well as just the black stuff).

I always find it telling that people who play up the positives of a lower exchange rate (and yes I know that there are some) are pretty slow to point out the negatives. I wonder why that could possibly be!

There’s a lot of crap going on, but the pound falling like a stone I think will be a blessing in disguise.

tthew

^ P-Jay, you are Robert Peston, and I claim my £5.00.
    But can I have it in $ please as I may not wish to spend it today, and a fiver may be worth nowt tomorrow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

New forum posts at a record high.

Junkyard
    Free Member

which encourages people to “buy British”

Will definitely happen and luckily we make every single thing we import so we wont even notice

Chewkw got a ban

Farage will soon **** the **** off

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m far from Jamba, but if we weren’t in the EU food prices would be through the floor due to oversupply (and a lot of farms would be out of business)

My comment about food was in relation to the potential for there to be negative effects associated with a fall in the value of sterling, not in relation to membership of the EU.

There’s a lot of crap going on, but the pound falling like a stone I think will be a blessing in disguise.

In the long run I suspect you are correct however to pretend that there will be NO negative consequences is just one more falsehood on top of all the others that have been getting pedalled recently.

zippykona

philjunior
    Free Member

Brexit vote likely to lead to further eurosceptism in Europe

As per the OP, I’d like actual well defined things that are better due to brexit, that are not contradicted by the only data I which I am aware of.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-membership-support-surges-in-denmark-after-brexit-vote-a7120271.html

GrahamS

Plenty of up sides explained here:

Brexiter’s excuses increasingly bollocks

ravingdave

@thisisnotaspoon: sorry to hear of your job loss. I fear my team and I may find ourselves in a similar position. not as a result of Brexit itself; but the likely upcoming recession created by all this uncertainty.

wish you all the best hope you find something soon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My comment about food was in relation to the potential for there to be negative effects associated with a fall in the value of sterling, not in relation to membership of the EU.

My point was that we have the capacity to massively oversupply food if we wanted. OK it wouldn’t be tomatoes, avocados and satsumas. But we shouldn’t need to import food. I suspect if you eat ‘british’ food (pork, beef, lamb, apples, potatoes, cereals, etc) then you may well see prices go down in the medium term. Or at the very least the weakened pound will boost exports and the resultant price inflation will be offset against whatever replaces CAP not needing to be so well funded.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Is there ANY good news from the out vote?’ is closed to new replies.