Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Anyone loving their gravel/adventure/road bike that…….
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

You’re considering selling your mountain bike?
    Recently acquired a Genesis Cdf and love it, my Salsa Horsethief has become an ornament. The ability to avoid a 2hr car journey to mountain bike is time I can spend on the cdf. Will I regret selling the mountain bike? Anyone else done this with no regrets?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like my rove – but no danger it would replace my td-1

jam-bo

I wouldn’t live somewhere I had to drive 2hrs to ride my mtb.

plus-one

Yes I’m now Mtb free 🙂

Too much too go wrong these days and the travel etc !!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

sell them both and get a tripster…

(ex CDF owner…)

burko73

Escapade currently I the shed on top of the genesis latitude as the fatbike has taken priority and made local rides interesting again.

fudge9202
    Free Member

House move out of the question, wondered how long before the tipster brigade appeared!

ads678

Nope, not selling either of my mtb’s.

bob_summers

I certainly haven’t touched my mtbs since buying a GT Grade in December. There is no ‘gravel’ to speak of here, but there are great trails and admittedly I have to walk some sections I’d otherwise clear, but I’m a mincer anyway and I walk quite a lot. I’m old enough not to care. It’s also my foul weather trainer, commuter and I’ve done centuries and the local fast chaingang on it too.

bob_summers

An unexpected benefit was a few uphill, offroad Strava KOMs or at least getting far closer to the local XC hotshots than I would on my full sus or SS.

Trekster

Have certainly considered selling one and the road bike since acquiring my Ridley X Trail…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My mtbs get used less now I’ve gone gnarmac bit there’s no way I’d be without them.

Gnarmac bikes are ace. However, so is schralping teh gnar to teh maxxxxx. Innit.

fudge9202
    Free Member

That Ridley X trail is lovely, pity it’s carbon I really like steel.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tripster owner here too.. my Transition Covert is sulking in the shed feeling very neglected.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Adventure/Monstercross convert.

So much so that I sold my hardtail, now selling the road bike and folding bike to help fund it. N minus 2?

Feels like my first ATB/MTB and my first road bikes both came back in one fused-form to haunt me in the nicest ways possible.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Malvernrider tell all!
    What bike?

tang
    Free Member

I’ll not be without an mtb, but I really really love my custom steel. Today’s lunchtime ride made better by testing 45c tyres and a XT clutch mech. I’ll be mounting them tubeless on the enve wheels soon for a trip I have planned.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The ability to avoid a 2hr car journey

Kind of answered your own question.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

wouldn’t sell my mtb but never really ride it nowdays, on my CDF 90% of the time

fudge9202
    Free Member

Although my Salsa Horsethief was bought off the forum from clinkmtb the rest of the build was all new kit, seems like a lot of money sitting doing nothing, might be worth selling both it and the cdf and downscaling the mtb to get a lovely gravel bike.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Getting to be quite fond of my Norco Search. Would I consider getting rid of MTB in favour of it? Not a chance at the moment.

PrinceJohn

Love my genesis day one decade, it’s just a tool for a job that opens up different places for riding that would be boring on the mtb and too much for the road bike.

Variety is the spice of life.

Heading out on it today as soon as I haul my ass out of bed.

kerley
    Free Member

I did about 8 years ago. And used SS CX bikes and then fixed track bikes for all my off road and on road riding.

In the end I wanted a change so around 2 years ago switched back to SS MTB. Because all of the bikes were rigid and SS it doesn’t make as much difference for me as it would for others I suppose (switching from maybe a full suss MTB to a road type bike)

Primary reason for switching back is that MTBs are more fun (manuals, jumps,) and more capable (rougher singles track). I just endure the road bits and have to accept I am a bit slower on those bits.
    The fun bits are limited where I live but on a road type bike I was missing out on even those limited bits.

wicki
    Free Member

Agree with you Kerley the cx just does not cut it when I turn off the tarmac, I know its all a compromise I just haven’t decided which bit I am willing to compromise on yet.

cookeaa

My MTB is quite underused at present, many of the local loops that I would previously have used it for now get done on the Bridalslayer.

I wouldn’t sell my MTB though for two simple reasons;

1- it’s much better and more fun for rough stuff, trail centre and the like.

2- It’s largely worthless (26″ wheels, 1-1/8 headtube, etc) and a modern equivalent would cost a relative fortune.

I am now taken with the idea of some sort of monstercross bikepacking/touring machine, but realistically another bike is some way off at present and I wouldn’t chop in either my MTB, Gravel or road bike for it…

wicki
    Free Member

Running 35 mm cx tires at the moment on 45/40 psi what’s every one else on? maybe room for improvement in the comfort dept.

PrinceJohn

I’m in 40c at 50psi, pinch punctures are a bitch.

tenfoot

I’m running 32mm tyres at around 70 psi, but that’s mainly because I commute on road, but like to dabble with easy off road if I feel like it.

My arkose gets a lot of use, such that I sold my hardtail and just kept my full sus.

tang
    Free Member

I think tubeless is really the way. I used to suffer with punctures terribly with non tub 32c cx tyres. With 40/45c I can pump them hard for the road then let them down to 40psi with no flats.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Alex disc wheelset on the Cdf are tubeless compatible?

wicki
    Free Member

What rim width is that? I have 19 mm internal and don’t suffer the dreaded P Flats.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvernrider tell all!
    What bike?

A blue one! 8)

(Apologies for lazy link):

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-vagabond-anyone-got-one/page/2#post-7688617

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I couldn’t get used to drop bars off road. Just found it too uncomfortable when it got bumpy. Seems to be worse in the summer when the grounds solid. Fast descents on the South Downs are painful.

Switched to a XC 29er with flat bars and lockout fork. Slightly slower on road (though not much if i put some fast tyres on) and much more capable off-road.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Different tools for different jobs.

Most of my riding is on a cyclocross bike currently set up as a road commuter, with tough slicks and used on road and local “gravel” -or “tracks” as we know them.

If I could have only one bike, it would be that one… But I can have more than one bike.

The cyclocross bike was harsh even on the relative smoothness of Llandegla Red/black.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Since buying my CX bike I’ve let dust build up on my mtb and road bikes.

Just built a Gravel bike for my old man.

I’m going to selling 2-3 bikes this month only due to lack of space.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The cyclocross bike was harsh even on the relative smoothness of Llandegla Red/black.

That shit rock garden after a left-handed must have been hellish!

If it’s still there – it’s been a while…

hopster
    Free Member

Loving this bike. Its been so much fun riding from my door and exploring the local area and uncovering new trails. Its also fine for road rides.

Been running Tubeless Maxxis Rambler 700x40mm tyres at around 30psi and they are spot on for grip and cushioning.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/H6w4ob]WP_20160508_18_34_19_Pro[/url] by hwe pang, on Flickr

Aristotle
    Free Member

This sort of does-it-all bike and riding them anywhere is what people in the olden days used and did.

There’s nothing new about it. Every so often marketeers recycle old ideas.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Malvernrider that vagabond in blue is lovely! Might give my cdf a set of nobbly tyres and see how I get on, any recommendations on a suitable tyre?

I wouldn’t live somewhere I had to drive 2hrs to ride my mtb

This

I’ll add, I wouldn’t live anywhere I couldn’t ride my MTB straight out of the door and be on decent trails within minutes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Anyone loving their gravel/adventure/road bike that…….’ is closed to new replies.