Home Forums Bike Forum Is there a kryptonite to tyre sealant?

• This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by bens.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is there a kryptonite to tyre sealant?
  • blackhat
    Free Member

I’ve never really converted to tubeless but was persuaded to go down that route for my gravel bike.  To be fair, tubeless has probably saved me several stops for repairs but…..on my last ride my rear tyre has been wounded by a largish stone chip of some sort but I hadn’t noticed it at the end of the day.  So, today I have a flattish tyre and sealant mixed with dust and sand congealed from saddle to bottom bracket and all over front derailleur.  It’s possible to peel off bits but i can’t see me properly shifting it like this.  Is there a chemical solution to this gunk?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Get a block of crepe natural latex and rub it with that.  It’s how I clean the inside of my tyres.

Northwind

Muc Off sell an aerosol of “glue and sealant remover”, it’s not terrible but it’s quite variable, you never really know if it’ll work or not.

murdooverthehill

Silca also do a sealant remover

fatface1
    Free Member

Errrr, not really in my experience. Getting it off a bike can be really difficult once it’s dried and mixed with gravel, dust etc. It’s like a war wound that stays on the bike to remind you of what happened.

Clothing can be a problem also. I’ve got riding gear that has blotches over the back that are never coming out.

thols2

Yes, I have a pair of shorts with a latex stripe up the butt-crack from when I fitted a new ghetto tubeless tyre which oozed a bit of art latex sealant through the beads and then went for a ride just after it rained. The water on the road thinned the sealant out and it sprayed up without me noticing until I got home and realized that all the hairs on my legs were matted together with latex. Took several days to get the final bits of latex off my legs, it never came off my shorts.

bens
    Free Member
    Northwind

Muc Off

sell an aerosol of “glue and sealant remover”, it’s not terrible but it’s quite variable,

you never really know if it’ll work or not.

Sounds about right!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.