Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Is there a BT broadband scam on at the moment?
  • FOG

We recently changed broadband supplier away from BT and ever since have been deluged with phone calls from the sub-continent offering to fix the problem with our b/band. Is this a scam or is it just BT annoying us for having left them? Presumably any genuine BT caller would know we have left and would be trying to persuade us back not offering to’fix’ our problem? Of course our current supplier has given no problem whatsoever

rickmeister

I think this has just been on R4..

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Oddly enough the calls here seemed to coincide with signing up for their call blocking service. One assumes BT must leak like a sieve.

Cougar

Do you have a problem with your broadband? If there’s nothing to fix then of course it’s a scam.

One assumes BT must leak like a sieve.

Or they’re wardialing random numbers.

kcal

my email for BT call blocking 1572 came to an email address I hardly ever use. Hence I’m deeply suspicious!

Dark-Side

Could it be something like this?

Customers are receiving calls from individuals claiming to be from British Telecom (or BT Open Reach).
    The caller claims that there is a technical problem with your router or related equipment.
    The customer is asked to download software such as TeamViewer, which allows the caller to take control of your computer remotely. This is supposedly to help with the diagnosis of the problem.
    Customers are subsequently asked to log-on to Bankline and pay a small fee to BT to cover the cost of the technical support.
    However, the fraudster will then use TeamViewer to take control of the session, create additional payments, and trick you into disclosing smartcard codes to authorise the transactions.
    You should be suspicious of any unsolicited calls from individuals claiming to represent BT.
    Do not follow any instructions from the caller such as installing software, visiting a website or initiating a Bankline session.
    Furthermore, you should not allow the caller to remotely take control of your computer.
    If you are unsure about the legitimacy of a call, then terminate it.
    Look up BT contact numbers from their website or correspondence such as a recent telephone bill, and seek their advice as to whether the call you received was genuine.
    If you have received such a call and are concerned that you may have disclosed confidential information such as smartcard codes, then please contact the Bankline Helpdesk immediately.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Is there a BT broadband scam on at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.