Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is the Mavic 717 the same as the ZTR flow
  • Gunz
    Free Member

As above really, I’ve always had Mavic 717 rims but the deal I’ve seen on Hopes with the ZTR seems slightly better so are they comparable for weight etc?

moonboy
    Free Member

I think…

Crests a bit lighter than 717s and Crests slightly wider internal diameter 19mm plays 17mm so wider tyres come up a bit less ‘pinched.’

Thats my stock received wisdom answer. Cannot 100% confirm.

DOH YOU SAID FLOWS. Sorry.

moonboy
    Free Member

oh and crests are a bit of a bugger with some schwalbe tyres. I do have experience of that

njee20
    Free Member

Not even close.

The XC717 is Mavic’s ‘lightweight’ XC rim, 17mm internal width. The Flow has been raced at DH world cups!

The Flow is marginally heavier, but a far far far tougher rim. The 717 is rather antiquated now, Stan’s rims are about 20% lighter for equivalent strength/use – the Crest and the Alpine are closer comparators to the 717.

takisawa2

Different eqpt needed for tyre fitment.

or

GavinB

Flows are a tough rim, and have never caused me any issues getting any tyre fitted, dual ply Minions, High Rollers etc. no problems running 2.5 tyres, whereas 717 are ancient rims and start to struggle with the larger volume tyres.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Takisawa2 just has fingers like bonnie Langford!. 😀

Tbh I’ve only ever fitted hans dampf to my flows, easy on and inflated dry with a track pump. Living the dream….

takisawa2

Trust me…I don’t. 😀

I think all of Mavics rims are a bit long in the tooth now.
    My next set will be Stans.

RustySpanner

Mavic rims are made out of aluminium.

Stans are made out of the compressed bits of fluff from the bellybuttons of baby rabbits.
    Which is why they ding and dent so easily.

Stan was also the first and yet only adopter of the 26.1 wheel standard.
    Which makes the trail come alive, but makes some tyres a very tight fit.

In fact, it has been prophesied that the when the son of God walks among us again, he will be identifiable because he will be able to fit a Schwalbe Marathon with just his bare hands.

scotroutes

Bless you my son.
    (Marathon Mondials on Arch EX – no tools reqd.)

Northwind

takisawa2 – Member

I think all of Mavics rims are a bit long in the tooth now.

Aye. They’re still not terrible mind, but they keep the good stuff for their wheelsets. Why would they not, after all people still pay good money for old kit.

RustySpanner

OMFG!
    HE IS RISEN!

mjsmke

The XC717’s are narrow and only good for tyres about 2.2 or less. But they are really strong. Thats why mavic still makes them. I have them and regularly hit steps etc and no problems.

scotroutes

Mavic also make the TN719 should sir desire a wider tyre – and it’s in a more fashionable diameter 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is the Mavic 717 the same as the ZTR flow’ is closed to new replies.