Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Is the Earth heavier than it used to be?
  • richmtb

I bet solar wind accounts for much more.

I’m sure you are right

what about the fact that the universe is expanding at an increasing rate relativistically increasing the mass of all the objects in it? Or cos its space that’s accelerating does it cancel itself out. Knew I shouldn’t have watched that Light and Dark thing last night – head’s cabbaged.

It was a good documentary

I’m not sure “dark energy” is relativistically increasing the mass of all objects.

The space between galaxies is increasing and their motion relative to each other is indeed increasing. But for ourselves located in our galaxy our relative motion compared to the object around us doesn’t change so according to our frame of reference relativistic mass remains the same.

What’s really strange about dark energy (well apart from not having a clue about what it is) is that it appears to be increasing. The current theory is that “empty” space contains energy as it expands it creates more empty space and there is more energy as a result.

At the moment dark energy is not strong enough to effect objects which are gravitationally bound to each other. So dark energy is not expanding the space between the Sun or effecting the Suns position in the Milky Way.

But if dark energy keeps increasing it may start to overcome these gravitationally bound systems too, eventually becoming so strong that it starts to tear everything apart until the universe is just a vast expanse of disassociated atomic particles.

Northwind

I replaced a bunch of parts with titanium so it’s definitely lighter.

hatter

I definitely got a bit heavier in the early 70’s, I blame these chaps.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is the Earth heavier than it used to be?’ is closed to new replies.