Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 164 total)
  • Is my bike to small for me??
  • v666ern
    Free Member

I like your reach and your shock position in your other thread x

renton
    Free Member

Crack where ?

renton
    Free Member

Five spot ett was 24.2inches. Trance us 24.5
    Five spot reach was 42.24cm, trance is 43.9cm.

Xl five spot fitted perfect with a 55mm stem and layback post which is why I went for a large trance as the size is almost the same if not slightly bigger.

An xl trance would be far to big ??

EDIT … which thread are you on about v666ern?

v666ern
    Free Member

Sorry Renton, nothing helpful to contribute just a little titilation!

dirtydog
    Free Member

If it feels too small then fitting a 50mm stem will only make matters worse.

kudos100
    Free Member

Xl five spot fitted perfect with a 55mm stem and layback post which is why I went for a large trance as the size is almost the same if not slightly bigger.

An xl trance would be far to big ??

You have answered you own question then. Unless……..you have decided you like a bigger bike. In which case the trance could be too small. Or too big, if the five spot was perfect.

Maybe you just thought the five spot was the right size, but actually it was too small and the giant is the perfect fit, but you haven’t realised it yet?

Or it could be that Giants sizing is wrong on the website, I’ve heard sometimes they have different sizing depending on which country. The American Trance could be bigger. I’d check the U.K website.

kilo

mine is only a 26er but I’m 6’1″ and a bit and ride a large trance and it fits fine so i’m going for short stem and crap photos

cloudnine
    Free Member

Crack where ?

No.. sorry its a dog hair on my screen 😆

ton

my twopenneth.
    yes it is too small
    why did you not buy the 29” version

renton
    Free Member

But surely if giant say it’s suitable from 6 foot to 6 foot4 then it’s the right size ???

Or am I missing something?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

ton

without being rude, you like me, look like a big bloke.
    most bikes are gonna look small when we are on them. but looking small and being comfy are very differant.
    comfort is the most important thing. aesthetics come at the bottom of the importance list.

nuke

^ What Ton said. I’m failing to see how anyone on here can genuinely judge whether the size of a bike is wrong for you from looking at a photo of you on it! 😕

legend
    Free Member

renton – Member
    But surely if giant say it’s suitable from 6 foot to 6 foot4 then it’s the right size ???

Or am I missing something?

They’re guidelines, not rules. The only way you could be certain would be to try other sizes

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I think the reach is far too short on that bike. I think that of the Trance in general rather than with you sitting on it. It’s got a real sit up and beg type riding position.

A mate and I were trying them out for size in Paul’s Cycles. We both ended up having to get a size so big that our nuts were resting on the top tube! It’s just a really short bike.

You could try lowering the stem, but I think that would only give you a few extra mm’s.

You also look taller than 183cm, but that could just be the photo. More photos would help, or even better a video!

renton
    Free Member

I don’t understand it to be honest as it has a longer top tube and more reach than my previous bike which felt perfect.

TooTall
    Free Member

Blimey. You’ve not done much formal PT for a while have you?

It’s too small. Get a bigger bike.

It’s got 15mm more reach and no layback seatpost, so that’s going to be shorter. If you put a layback on that you’ll have so much weight so far up and back you’ll wheelie everywhere.

renton
    Free Member

I’m on a sqn so we don’t get much time for pt.

It has got a layback post on it a d the seat is almost all the way back it never once feels to light at the front.

TooTall
    Free Member

Chubby lineys always use that excuse.

I’d not call that a layback post – just not an inline clamp on it.

The bike is way too short for you and I’d guess you are right on the limit of being too tall for it.

renton
    Free Member

Tootall I’m not any sort of liney!!!

I’m an Armourer. I believe you are a blanket stacker aren’t you.

I am 6 foot

If the post isn’t a layback and also the clamp isn’t inline what is it then??

The bike is suitable for some one 6 foot to 6 foot 4. How am I too big for it.

jameso

I don’t understand it to be honest as it has a longer top tube and more reach than my previous bike which felt perfect.

New bike has 17mm longer reach and ETT is only 7mm difference. So assuming they’re both measured the same way that 10mm diff between the 2 means the new bike has a steeper seat angle by just under a degree – see my earlier post about why that may matter.

The sag at the rear can make more difference to the SA than that so maybe that’s adding to the seat angle, or it could be making it the same, or less.. if it’s sagging more it’ll be making the reach shorter than stated. Reach and stack on a FS bike gets a bit vague as soon as the ends of the bike don’t sag equally.

tbh, the measurements are so close and seat angle / ETT on the giant’s messed up by the frame design anyway so get set up based on balance and forget the numbers. If you can’t get comfy / balanced, the bikes’s wrong.

Bregante

How am I too big for it.

Irrelevant.

Clearly you feel too big for it because you wouldn’t have asked. You do look too big for it but I would look at fitting a longer stem and possibly a proper layback post before you sell it.

singlespeedstu

The bike is suitable for some one 6 foot to 6 foot 4.How am I too big for it.

It fits perfect.
    Just ride the ****.
    Does that help.

renton
    Free Member

Jameso would fitting a longer travel fork to raise the front and slacken off the seat angle help at all do you think ?

EDIT: The head angle is 2 degrees slacker on the trance too.

tazzymtb

Sell it and buy a bike that fits you, having tried it first, rather than spaff a load of money on a bike that doesn’t that you got for a cheap price…to still find that is wrong for you.

Maybe test ride a few. Find one that works for your build and then get that

renton
    Free Member

But surely it should fit that’s the point I’m trying to get across.

tazzymtb

Not really chap, bike size guides arw just that, based on a average joe that is sort of scaled up and down and allows for some variation with seat post and stem length etc… I can make a medium or a large fit me comfortably and its totally dependant upon bike manufacturer and even the particular model. Thats why its better if you can to get a ride on one first. There is no ” should fit” with bikes it is “do” or “do not” * yoda mode engaged*

renton
    Free Member

Ffs I can’t change my bike again. The wife is threatening divorce if I even mention it.

simondbarnes

Ffs I can’t change my bike again. The wife is threatening divorce if I even mention it.

Put a sensible stem on it and ride it then

tazzymtb

Get something nice like a jones space frame with one gear and no faffy suspension to go wrong 😀 that reallt can be made to fit midgets and giants…..or a stooge

renton
    Free Member

Stuff of dreams for me tazzymtb

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I love the regular Renton posts it makes me feel much better about my serial bike swapping exploits !

renton
    Free Member

Ha rub it in why don’t you.

I should of bought that camber from you.

tazzymtb

A stooge would work nicely renton and they are top value.Got a bike you can demo if you want, with a range of stems and seatposts

steve_b77
    Free Member

But is it more chuck able and a bit of a play bike? If so being small is an advantage according to t’interweb innit

renton
    Free Member

Let me stick the 70mm stem back on and tAke some better photos tomorrow.

tazzymtb

Its not about the photo, its about how it feels to you. It may look tiny/massive, if if it fits and its comfortable and doesn’t hinder the ride you’re sorted. Get the feeling you know what the answer is, but that you a really some bloke of the web will tell its ok to keep the inner doubts quiet for another week or so?

renton
    Free Member

It ride fine last week. I really enjoyed the ride I had and started to like it.

I don’t like it with a 50mm stem so the 70mm will be going back on.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s necessarily too small. Us 6ft+ guys always look ungainly on a mountain bike I find.

To add fuel to the fire, you complain of lower quad pain which can be a symptom of sitting too far back when pedalling. As some have suggested, it could be fitting too short a stem is pushing you back in the saddle.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Anyone over 6 ft should only be allowed to ride 29 ers to avoid looking silly

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Is my bike to small for me??’ is closed to new replies.