Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,885 total)
  • Is May about to call an election?
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’ll look into adding it as a feature in STW forum tools 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well right now the headline on the main BBC news page – a site which certainly hasn’t recently shown any signs of favouring Labour – is “Rivals attack May for missing TV debate”. Of course things might have been worse if she had turned up, but ISTM the thing most people are going to be talking about is her cowardice. It may not have changed many minds, but I certainly can’t see the Tory vote share increasing after tonight.

ctk
    Free Member

John Crace

Funny piece on the debates in the guardian. Speak to the Hand lol

ctk
    Free Member

aracer – Member

ctk » chewkw – I have voted for Conservative.
    Mods can Chewkw have a tag line like this?

I’ll look into adding it as a feature in STW forum tools

8)

binners

have you not read my manifesto?”

Amber Rudd.

Looks like the positioning for the succession has started in earnest.only if she hasn’t been killed by tomorrow, obviously

chewkw
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    for chewk

Remember if the Conservative wins this election it is still not good enough. Conservative MUST be in govt for at least 2 generations or at least 6 terms continuously.

If UK elect a Labour govt in this or next two generations then UK will suffer a terminal decline that will seal the fate of it’s entire nation. When that happens there is really no turning back which means the end of UK.

You think Labour can hold together UK? 😆 When that happens UK will be split into 3 parts … Scotland, United Ireland and England while Wales remains as part of the old UK.

Anyone that thinks Labour or EU bureaucratic system is the way forward then they are dooming their next generations. 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

ctk – Member
    aracer – Member

ctk » chewkw – I have voted for Conservative.
    Mods can Chewkw have a tag line like this?

I’ll look into adding it as a feature in STW forum tools

That will be good. 😆

edit: oh yes … my advice above (previous reply) is free and I told you so here. 😆

frankconway

Rudd was definitely handed the poisoned chalice and, to give her credit, she fronted up despite her father having died on monday.

chewkw
    Free Member

frankconway – Member
    Rudd was definitely handed the poisoned chalice and, to give her credit, she fronted up despite her father having died on monday.

Rudd is fine as she is while the media is up to their usual tricks of trying to spin out sensationalised dramatic news to earn their keep. 😛

What Labour needs to look our for is their Deputy “Elton John” Watson who is in the background trying to take over at anytime. Its written all over his face that he will back stab. 😆

As usual Corbyn’s enemy is not Conservative but his own internal party members, they will over run him if he form a govt. They are more “Tories than Tories” with the exception that they sell the concept of helping the poor but in reality helping themselves. Now that you don’t see coming but I do. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Because it’s Labour which set up the conditions which are likely to lead to Scottish independence and huge issues over an internal hard border in Ireland? I do remember that right don’t I?

(yes, yes I know JY, but he’s almost making a point which it’s possible to debate with here and occasionally I like to give him a chance to try and put a coherent defence together).

aracer
    Free Member

Careful chewy, you’re slipping out of character here.

chewkw
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Because it’s Labour which set up the conditions which are likely to lead to Scottish independence and huge issues over an internal hard border in Ireland? I do remember that right don’t I?

What internal hard border? If Labour comes into power it will be United Ireland and independent Scotland. 😛

(yes, yes I know JY, but he’s almost making a point which it’s possible to debate with here and occasionally I like to give him a chance to try and put a coherent defence together).

I mean it is so obvious and clear you really don’t need anything else to explain … it is as simple as. It’s written all over the place clearly. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

cite

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wasting your time…
    I assume may missed the debate as she decided to start packing early.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Wasting your time…
    I assume may missed the debate as she decided to start packing early.

Rather pointless debate really as there is nothing new in their views … it’s like a repetitive broken record repeating themselves over and over and over again. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A great summary of the Tory campaign, more of the same, as good as it gets, nothing to see here move along now…
    Given how everyone says how commanding the PM is at PMQ’s maybe she is just scared of the common people with their Rum and Coca Cola.

aracer
    Free Member

Surprising May didn’t turn up then – she’s good at that.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    A great summary of the Tory campaign, more of the same, as good as it gets, nothing to see here move along now…
    Given how everyone says how commanding the PM is at PMQ’s maybe she is just scared of the common people with their Rum and Coca Cola.

Scared of the common people? Nahh … certainly not to play up to the TV news trolls put it this way. If the oppositions think they can do better in front of the repetitive debate so be it. They can win as much as they like and in fact they can have the entire debate to themselves. 😆

aracer – Member

chewkw » it’s like a repetitive broken record repeating themselves over and over and over again.

Surprising May didn’t turn up then – she’s good at that. [/quote] There is consistency and there is broken record repeating themselves. PM May is the former while the rest latter. 😛

mattyfez

I wanted to vote liberal democrat, after tonight I don’t feel bad about my labour protest vote.

igm

There is consistency and there is broken record repeating themselves. PM May is the former while the rest latter. 😛

One isn’t meant to laugh at one’s own jokes.

#StablyStrong

flanagaj
    Free Member

Conspiracy theories are starting to spin around my head on this election. Given May’s arrogant approach to not attending the debates, the weak manifesto … starting to think the Tories are deliberately throwing this election.

Even if we take the ‘B’ word out of the equation nobody can deny that the Tory election campaign has been rather lack luster. May just keeps saying ‘you have to trust us …’ Labour are promising the world and the curious ones will no doubt be asking how they ‘really’ can fund it all.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The problem with the Vicar’s Daughter is that she has a self-image of stability and strength. She really believes that’s her character. She has sold this self-image to the party, who either bought it or cynically assumed the necessary majority of voters would buy it.

As the situation develops, her true character – inflexibility, lack of spontaneous reaction to change, uncomfortable without a script and so on, is proving a massive liability.

The situation is now so bad that Conservative sources are describing the campaign as a “total clusterf***. If we lose, we’ll deserve it.”

To quote MacMillan, when asked “What could possibly derail your government’s programme, Prime Minister?” said…

“Events dear boy, events.” 😕

ferrals
    Free Member

I though the same (re. conspiricy theories), especially now various news outlets are reporting conservative HQ are planning on getting rid of May post election (unless she wins a landslide). very convenient brexit bullet dodging.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think they were just complacent and arrogant

She was miles ahead and the RW press had spun him as useless so they did not put much effort into the campaign nor the manifesto and then the wheels feel of the bus and they were not able to change gear/tact/vehicle [ whichever mixed metaphor you prefer]
    I also think she is another John Major in that dull, grey and not very competent and elected for who they were not rather than for who they were on any inherent talent.

Still likely to win but there will be nervous times ahead

binners

Boris was just interviewed on Five Live. He dismissed any accusations of complacency and arrogance, then in the next sentence forgot Nichola Sturgeons name, referring to her as ‘erm….. that Scottish Nats woman’

igm

flanagaj – The Tories can’t go into details as they would get drawn into details on Brexit which would be a guaranteed vote loser (not for the Brexit as a religion people, but the normal people who care about jobs, security etc).
    Labour has more flexibility, particularly as cuts are now a dirtier word than taxes.

Klunk
    Free Member

I also think she is another John Major in that dull, grey and not very competent and elected for who they were not rather than for who they were on any inherent talent.

Can’t see Chairman May out on the street on a soapbox. (not unless it was very carefully staged managed)

I’m not a fan of John but he’s in a different league to the Maybot.

ninfan
    Free Member

She was miles ahead and the RW press had spun him as useless so they did not put much effort into the campaign nor the manifesto and then the wheels feel of the bus and they were not able to change gear/tact/vehicle [ whichever mixed metaphor you prefer]

Or, tinfoil hat time, actually Jezza isn’t doing that well, but the Tory controlled press need to big up the fear of Labour winning/crazy jezza getting in to power in order to encourage conservative voters to get out and vote, as if everyone thought it was an easy win, they wouldn’t bother.

You know, like happened wit Miliband and all the “coalition with SNP” last time, even though it had already been ruled out.

Makes you think, eh?

igm

I thought so. May’s objection to the coalition of chaos is the coalition – after all you can have chaos just by voting Tory.

And yes the labour / SNP coalition stuff was a cynical ploy to play on little englander racism/xenophobia.

kimbers

Agree with ninfan actually

im still certain that may will come back with a majority

so im just enjoying the tory wobbly till the next one comes along when they balls up brexit

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not sure I agree @ some media conspiracy
    I think there’s a pretty clear turning point in the polls when the labour manifesto was released.
    It contains more police, more education, more NHS, better trains.
    That’s going to appeal to LOTS of voters, and he’s going to pay for it with corporation tax, which is something most voters don’t know much about and can’t see any immediate disadvantage to.

just5minutes
    Free Member

I thought Rudd did pretty well – and was surprised to read this morning that her father died unexpectedly at the weekend. Taking the battering she got last night on top of losing a parent would certainly break me.

The “debate” was a joke though. Whilst the 6+ parties shouting at the current government undoubtedly gets the thumbs up from the media it just reduces political discourse to a new and entirely counter-productive “low” – and it’s made worse by a baying, heckling audience. No matter what we think of the policies we should at least offer our elected MPs the courtesy of listening to them without hectoring – and that applies to all sides, government, the opposition – the whole lot.

Instead of a calm dispassionate analysis of the pros and cons of all the parties’ manifestos we just get a shouting match. Talking to colleagues and friends I’ve yet to find anyone who has actually read the manifesto of the party they support and most seem quite surprised at some of the manifesto pledges when we’ve discussed them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From Armando Iannuchi

So far, the only person Theresa May has debated on TV is her husband.

oldbloke
    Free Member

One thing that is a little different post debate is the comments on BBC articles. In the last while they’ve been the Brexit and Tory fanatics foaming at the mouth over EU and supporting dearest Theresa. After the debate those saying “how’s she going to negotiate with the EU if she can’t tackle Corbyn” seem to be the most popular.

Might be a different audience, but a noticeable change in the most popular viewpoint.

ferrals
    Free Member

Or, tinfoil hat time, actually Jezza isn’t doing that well, but the Tory controlled press need to big up the fear of Labour winning/crazy jezza getting in to power in order to encourage conservative voters to get out and vote, as if everyone thought it was an easy win, they wouldn’t bother.

from the guardian blog, Boris said:
    “If this means that people focus on the election, if it means that everybody turns out to vote, if it means that everybody realises how vital this election is then that for me is a fantastic thing …

For me it is great that this is tightly fought. It is great that people think that this is a very hotly contested election, because it is. We are fighting for every vote, because the future of our country is at stake.”

so you might be right that the tories are milking it. I think Fifeandy is correct though, I think that the labour manifesto is attractive and I think JC is appearing more statesman than activist recently which is improving his standings.

I saw somewhere that support for SNP is currently the lowest its been for a long time. If true, presumably a lot of those voters will switch to labour, so the results in Scotland could be critical.

cchris2lou

Polls vary from 3 to 11 points lead for the Tories . huge difference .

but I think May will be gone , even if she wins .

binners

but I think May will be gone, even if she wins.

I think she’s probably already well aware she’s a dead man walking. The knives are already out. And she’s only herself to blame. making the campaign all about her, then totally failing to deliver on her two Strong and Stable buzzwords.

So we could end up in a situation where the (narrowly) winning party leader is immediately deposed for their sub-par performance, while the losing party leader stays on after doing far better than anyone expected.

Funny old world…..

13thfloormonk

I saw somewhere that support for SNP is currently the lowest its been for a long time. If true, presumably a lot of those voters will switch to labour, so the results in Scotland could be critical.

I think I’m one of those voters, I would typically have voted SNP, if only because they weren’t the Tories. Now it feels like there’s some momentum (excuse the pun) behind Labour, and if not workable policies then at least aspirations towards a better sort of politics or at least towards a better sort of politician.

If anything else, all the Corbyn/May coverage has exhausted my limited attention span so I’ve not really been taking in the SNP message this time round, and I’m definitely starting to suffer IndyRef2 fatigue so that takes the shine off the SNP also.

Unfortunately, depending on who you believe, Labour are still a distant third or even fourth in my constituency, so despite Northwind’s persuasive post against tactical voting, I’m still inclined to vote for whoever is most likely to defeat the Tories and hope for some sort of ‘progressive alliance’… 🙄

kerley
    Free Member

So we could end up in a situation where the (narrowly) winning party leader is immediately deposed for their sub-par performance, while the losing party leader stays on after doing far better than anyone expected.

And that would lead to another election as the new Tory Prime Minister would not have been elected (just as May wasn’t). Hooray.

AlexSimon

I think she might be gone too, but then the mess will continue. The mandate gone. Whoever becomes leader will have no chance of battling a broadly united coalition opposition with a new-found confidence.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,885 total)

The topic ‘Is May about to call an election?’ is closed to new replies.