Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 292 total)
  • Is Kettling Morally Wrong?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s only a matter of time. Cases are going through courts as we speak.

Jean Charles De Menezes was murdered. Ian Tomlinson as unlawfully killed. Etc. Just because the Law has failed to see Justice served, doesn’t make the facts any different.

Or does a wrong judgement change a Law?

allthepies
    Free Member

So that’s none then ?

ivantate
    Free Member

is this anything like tea-bagging but using police horses?

Protest = fights. a simple a sad fact, the law can and should take any preventitive action to stop innocet people and their property taking a beating.

El-bent
    Free Member

If the tactic is illegal then someone must have sucessfully prosecuted the police by now. Can’t seem to find any documented cases though, can you help Fred ?

It’s gone to the EUCHR, they may rule differently from the Law lords. I find it disturbing that people support such a tatic that technically imprisons people while they are expressing their right to protest.

gixernick

The police do not “kettle”, politicians and local councils in conjunction with the Chief Consatable for that area often apply to have a march banned and allow a static protest for the good/protection of the local population. Then the yob element refuses to protest peacfully and the police contain them so they don’t cause destruction/serious injury. Fire extingushers from buildings, fireworks in to crowds, racial attacks, damage to property, attacks on Royal Family….shall I go on. People aren’t detained illegally they are there by their own free will and choose to scream at and attack the police. How many people were arrested at the marches in London…201. Not to mention 100 street cleaners to clean grafiti and litter.
    The damage from the “students” last demonstration cost £50,000!!!! I think the minority ruin it for the majority.

scraprider
    Free Member

no a proper way of containing these people , also the wearing of maskes should also be illegal, unless they are ugly t$%ts then they can stay coverd, i have no problem seeing the violent ones being hosed down with water cannons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

People aren’t detained illegally they are there by their own free will

Why do the police nned to doanything then if they are all choosing tobe there for a while 🙄
    Ian Tomlinson was at work when kettled then clobbered by a copper for wanting to go home. I assume if I asked nicely I could leave then seeing as I am freely choosing to be surrounded by coppers not letting me go anywhere. Choosing ot excercise your democratic right to protest is not consent to kettle

No one , I assume , is saying the police should ignore rioting what people are saying is you cannot kettle everyone because some might riot.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

no a proper way of containing these people , also the wearing of maskes should also be illegal, unless they are ugly t$%ts then they can stay coverd, i have no problem seeing the violent ones being hosed down with water cannons.

Now now…

…not all coppers are violent, ugly thugs. 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

I was on Oxford St yesterday, totally unaware of the demo at the time. Was quite impressed that the police were maintaining a visible prescence in the area 😀 Then saw the rows of riot squad outside the banks etc.

Ducked into a sidestreet as I was a bit concerned for my wife who is 7 months pregnant. Unfortunately, this sidestreet ended at an HSBC so we saw some bricks and other stuff being thrown. My wife was very interested; being from Poland she wanted to see how our demos worked 8) Thought I’d best get her in the pub at that point though. We could very easily have ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time though, and as such I’m no fan of kettling.

gixernick

The wearing of masks can is is made illegal during the times of the demo by the local chief officer by way of a Sec 60. I do not know what constitutes kettling? Have you ever been held against you will? Sadly this is the way these demonstrations will continue to be held while they cause so much damage/injury/fear. Every one from students, EDL, MDL, Anti-Cut protesters seem to want to wreck the streets, cause damage and attack people opposing their view. If they want to protest peacfully in line with the rules/laws set down around that protest.

gixernick

If you went in to a pub how were you “kettled” or held against your will. I assume you would have preferred the brick throwing “peacefull” protesters be allowed to rampage the city throwing their “peacful” bricks as they please?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have you ever been held against you will?

Yep. Whilst not committing any crime or breaking any law. Have had to, with others, use violence to overpower police officers detaining us illegally. Reasonable force, of course. If others are breaking the law against you, you have the right to use whatever necessary means to ensure your own safety and freedom.

Seen coppers breaking all sorts of laws, using unreasonable force, illegally detaining people, removing their identification numbers, using violence against people exercising their democratic right to protest in a peaceful manner, all sorts.

Tell you what, why not go to a demo one day, see what it’s actually like, rather than simply reading about it in the press?

I’ve no doubt many of those supporting police kettling tactics would actually be far too cowardly to actually go and make a public stand for what they believed in. When you’ve got dozens of uniformed thugs coming at you with shields and batons, for no justifiable reason whatsoever, then tell me their actions are correct. Easy to spout shite if you’ve never bin in that situation yourself.

Northwind

It can be an effective tactic and I think it’s one they should have access to if only they could be trusted- anyone who saw how effectively the black bloc element was locked down on the make poverty history march in edinburgh a few years back will appreciate what it can achieve done right, removing a small violent group from a peaceful march… Morally wrong? I’d say in that case morally right, perhaps the right to protest of that small group of imported anarchists was suppressed but the other quarter of a million were able to march without having a bunch of nutcases using it as a platform for causing trouble.

But unfortunately, it’s very easily abused. From what I’ve seen personally, it’s more often abused than used well, though I’ve no idea if that’s truly representative. My feeling is that on balance, the way it’s used now is too often counterproductive and too often impacts the innocent.

I’ve been kettled while on a completely peaceful demonstration and I’ve watched the mood of the crowd turn from carnival to anger. I wasn’t at all surprised to see conflicts develop, and when later in the day serious violence broke out, I’m certain that the abuse of kettling was if not the cause then certainly a contributing factor- people had lost faith and trust in the police and saw them as the enemy, when at the start of the day we were neighbours.

I don’t have any real suggestions for how constraints could be put on that abuse, ultimately if the authorities can’t be trusted to use a tool safely and correctly I believe it has to be taken away from them, no matter how useful it is.

As the great philosopher Benjamin Parker said, with great power comes great responsibility, and I believe that when that power is taken away the responsibility will lie with those who abused it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When you’ve got dozens of balaclava wearing thugs coming at you with rocks and metal poles, for no justifiable reason whatsoever, then tell me their actions are correct. Easy to spout shite if you’ve never bin in that situation yourself.

FTFY….

gixernick

I have seen far more than my share of demos up close and very personal, I have been bricked, spat at, assaulted had fire works thrown at me had people threaten to rape my wife and children, had p!ss and acid thrown at me. Not too mention nail bombs and worse!!
    The police may detain you to prevent crime, so whilst being contained during your peaceful protest you “with others, use violence to overpower police officers” That would be a further offence of assult a constable!

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you went in to a pub how were you “kettled” or held against your will.

Can you leave the pub if you choose? No one can be that daft that they cannot see the distinction. You may think it reasonable but you cannot suggest everyone kettled is choosing to be kettled. They are protesting which is legal and the vast majority will have done no wrong and have no intention of doing any wrong either. This point is not hard to grasp. You can still argue it is an appropriate response if you wish.

I assume you would have preferred the brick throwing “peacefull” protesters be allowed to rampage the city throwing their “peacful” bricks as they please?

Yes obviously anyone who is suggesting kettling is wrong is supports lawlessness.

The police may detain you to prevent crime

They have to have reasonable ground to surely and kettling is not detaining as I assume they have not cautioned everyone etc
    Are you a copper then?

gixernick

You do not need to be cautioned to be detained to prevent crime only if you’re arrested.

Yes obviously anyone who is suggesting kettling is wrong is supports lawlessness.

You’ll have to explain what you mean by that for me??

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nope. They were breaking the law by illegally detaining us. We used reasonable force to rectify matters.

We’re not talking about times when it’s already kicked off, we’re talking about when a demo is peaceful, then police suddenly decide to kettle people. I’ve seen that happen, several times. And if people react angrily to police violence, then it’s no flipping surprise, is it? Just cos you’ve got a uniform on, don’t mean you can take liberties. You use unreasonable force against me, expect it back.

The police certainly have a difficult job to do, yet they are obliged to do it exactly according to the Law. Yesterday, it appears things were policed correctly, overall. The vast majority of protestors acted within the Law, and there was only a relatively small amount of trouble, carried out by a tiny fraction of all the people there.

What a shame the focus isn’t on ‘oh how surprisingly peaceful the demo was’. Maybe that’s not sexy enough for the media…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have been bricked, spat at, assaulted had fire works thrown at me had people threaten to rape my wife and children, had p!ss and acid thrown at me. Not too mention nail bombs and worse!!

Stop going to pensioners’ Bingo night then!

gixernick

I wouldn’t have said 201 people arrested was particularly peaceful!! Bing as they were protesting against government cuts they have cost the tax payer an inordinate amount of money.
    The police have both the power and the duty to control an assembly this I assume is what you mean by “kettling” this comes from the Public Order Act. You appear to have then chosen to “with others, use violence to overpower police officers” this is not a peaceful assembly and this is what starts trouble.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you are a copper then 😆

so you can just stop me walking down the street and keep me there indefinitely without charge because you somehow know I am about to commit a crime? would that hold up in court outside of kettling?
    Opposing kettling does not means supporting rioting

Any chance you could explain how going to the pub is like kettling?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Let’s see how many of those 201 people arrested actually end up in court. I doubt many will be charged with owt that serious. Bit of criminal damage maybe, breach of peace, that sort of thing. And we don’t yet know how many have actually even bin charged with anything. And 201 out of over 200,000? Less than 0.1%? I’d say that’s a tiny minority, wouldn’t you?

You appear to have then chosen to “with others, use violence to overpower police officers” this is not a peaceful assembly and this is what starts trouble.

Yes, but only following police aggression. I have no problem with the police doing their job, but if they start pushing and shoving people for no valid reason, then they’ll get pushed and shoved back. Fair’s fair.

That uniform and badge don’t mean you can go round throwing yer weight about. You still have to act within the Law.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you seem to think kettling will calm people down I have no idea why.
    Kettling people annoys them …surely you are meant to control, pacify and arrest wrongdoers not piss of thousands of people exercising their democratic rights?
    There may well be good reason to do this at time but it is now your modus operandi rather than a tactic employed due to the situation on the ground. why not stop football fans going to matches as there are often arrests there?Surely that would calm the situation down and lead to fewer arrests and less aggro if they missed the match and were held at the station for 6 hours instead?

gixernick

Richpenny seemed to think he was “kettled” so he went in to the pub, I don’t understand how he was kettled.
    Yes you can be stopped in the street to prevent a crime, this is not indefinite and is until you are arrested or you are no longer going to commit a crime. If you are shouting and having an argument in the street you can be stopped (detained) to prevent you from committing public order offences. Assuming you then calm down youy could be then sent on your way. However it is not always possible/practicable for arrests to be made at the scene of the incident.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ve no doubt many of those supporting police kettling tactics would actually be far too cowardly to actually go and make a public stand for what they believed in. When you’ve got dozens of uniformed thugs coming at you with shields and batons, for no justifiable reason whatsoever, then tell me their actions are correct. Easy to spout shite if you’ve never bin in that situation yourself.

where were you on saturday 26/03/11? 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

They were breaking the law by illegally detaining us. We used reasonable force to rectify matters

you personally used violence against a police officer?

gixernick

In answer to the original question yes it is morally right to contain a static protest. As yet no one has come up with any realistic alternative.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so someone calm could leave a kettling scenario then as presumably there is no evidence of intent?

to be fair no matter what coppers do people will be unhappy you have a balance to maintain between upholding democracy and preventing crime. i find kettling to be too broad a stroke to prevent* the later and curtail the former.
    * not least because the VAST majority of those affected by kettling will not be about to commit any crime

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Only a complete and utter retard could fail to realise that kettling a group of protesters will only end up making things boil over. As someone said it earlier, if you remove the flight option of dealing with fear all you have left is fight.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In answer to the original question yes it is morally right to contain a static protest.

Why?

I’d love to hear your views on this actually. Why, as a police officer, you think it’s ok to contain people within an area, when they are committing no crimes. Why, as a police officer, you think it’s ok to prevent people from exercising their legal right to move freely within a public area as part of a legitimate peaceful protest.

You sure you’re in the right job?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Never felt that I was kettled nick, wanted to get my wife inside in case it did kick off a bit more. The point was more that we were innocent bystanders, and yet had the mob chosen to move towards us we could have been caught up in it through no fault of our own. Just pointing out that not only peaceful protesters but also those with no interest whatsoever are capable of being in the same place temporarily as mindless idiots. And thus kettling seems a bit untargeted.

gixernick

You do not know what job I am in and you are making broad assumptions!
    I’m still waiting for anyone to suggest a viable and practical alternative. Should society let protesters run amok leaving grafiti and damage wherever they go, no thanks. I don’t understand why if you have chosen to attend a demonstration that has been banned as a march and is now a static demonstration you then think you’re allowed to go off and march any way. Thnat is what would happen in dribs and drabs people leaving would go off on their march route and the march would take place this ould then be an offence!

gixernick

But you weren’t and there is no reason to belive you would have been, and hey maybe the police who prevented the brick throwing “peaceful” protesters going where they wanted causing more damage, actually saved you and your family from injury!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have an alternative. It’s to treat everyone fairly, make sure that nobody is exploited to make anyone rich, ensure that taxes are paid and that politicians and public servants act in the best interests of everyone they represent. It’ll never happen though.

El-bent
    Free Member

Should society let protesters run amok leaving grafiti and damage wherever they go, no thanks.

You seem to be tarring all protesters with the same brush.

I don’t understand why if you have chosen to attend a demonstration that has been banned as a march and is now a static demonstration you then think you’re allowed to go off and march any way.

No one should be allowed to ban a march.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for anyone to suggest a viable and practical alternative.

Let TUC members steward demos; they appear to have done a pretty good job at the main march and rally yesterday. 😐

TBH, you’re just missing the point entirely and now making up scenarios to try and support your argument. I think we’re done here anyway really.

So what job are you in then?

brakes
    Free Member

problem with that SBZ is that the troublemakers at these protests are there to cause trouble for no other reason than for kicks, not because they’ve been mistreated

RichPenny
    Free Member

The very small amount of criminal activity that I saw seemed to be dealt with by the police watching what was happening and then capturing those they saw offending. That’s a viable and practical alternative, no? And my point was always that it’s possible to find yourself in the middle of these events fairly easily, since they are in public places. Having made my way freely to a public place, I would not expect or appreciate being confined in it. FWIW, the police I saw seemed to be doing a good job 🙂

gixernick

Elfin you’re quite right we’re done, clearly you and only you are right you just enjoy causing trouble and exploiting a situation to do it, well done you!
    Brakes you are entirely right and those that organise the demos take no responsibility for who turns up or what they do.
    El-bent a march can be banned but a static demo can’t. FACT
    And at that I’m off.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, we pretty much know that, Brakes, and so does anyone with the ability to think for themselves. As I’ve pointed out, only 0.1% or less of all those who attended were arrested; indeed I think it’s fair to say those who did cause trouble are simply hijacking the event for their own ends anyway. 99.9% were there to demonstrate peacefully. I think that is a fact we should all be thankful for really, as it proves the overwhelming majority of folk are decent, law-abiding citizens. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 292 total)

The topic ‘Is Kettling Morally Wrong?’ is closed to new replies.