• This topic has 43 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Is it wrong to photograph the homeless?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

badnewz – Member

I wouldn’t be interested in seeing photography of homeless people.
    But I would be interested in seeing a painted portrait, where the artist has got to know the person, and captured something about them through their art.
    I just find photography an overrated medium of pretentiousness for the most part. Click and run.

redthunder

Totally agree.

What about a situation where the photographer gets to know the person, builds their trust and then puts themselves in personal jeapordy by traveling to a squat or a drug den to take a portrait of the person? Isn’t that the opposite of click and run?

Or conversely, this painted portrait. What if this artist, who was capturing something through his art, had a photo-realistic style based on reference photographs?

bob_summers

loddrik – Member
    Are we talking homeless?
    Or ‘homeless’….

Out of curiosity, what did you google for that second image?
    Back under your bridge.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nice blog post OP its a bummer when you see some art you don’t like which is similar to your own. Not sure if the arguments for your own work add up to much.

You’ve lost me – is that sarcasm?

ctk
    Free Member

Not sarcasm. I like you defending your work its an insight to your train of thought but I don’t think your arguments for your work over the ‘bad’ work add up to much.

ie my photo is good because its not shot from a higher position so proving I’m not looking down on subject. Fair enough.

Its not ok for the other photographer to use an expensive camera but I can just because.

I get to know these people and give them some cash so its OK. Or is it to give your photographs more weight? Is you getting a back story even more cynical than just taking a quick snap?

Apologies if this seems confrontational, I am just trying to give you honest feedback.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Is it wrong to photograph the homeless?’ is closed to new replies.