Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is it worth upgrading from a 45650b to Cotic Soul 275?
  • snapperdan
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my 45650b for over a year now, it’s a good bike and it’ll plough through anything, but it’s never set my heart on fire if I’m honest.

I’m thinking of splashing some cash on a Soul and apart from less weight I was wondering how it handles compared to the 45650b. Does it feel better in corners? Is it easier to pop a manual? Would a Bfe be a better option?

I’m a fairly typical rider who regularly rides places like Gisburn and natural stuff in the Peak and North Wales and I’m doing some enduros this year in the hardtail category too.

superfli
    Free Member

Switchback

shaungero
    Free Member

Never ridden a 45650b but love my 275 soul

snapperdan
    Free Member

Been looking at Switchbacks too but I was wondering if they’re as good an all rounder as the soul?

superfli
    Free Member

I had a soul 26″ lovely lovely bike, and a great all rounder, but I wanted something slacker and more suited to my regular rides. The switchback is perfect for my regular rides. I’m yet to discover what it’s like on longer rides, but although maybe not quite as good as the soul for 30+ mile xc rides, I’m sure it’ll be fine and with the compromise (which is generally weight)

snapperdan
    Free Member

Cheers Superfli – the switchback is looking very tempting especially with those short chainstays – must be easy to get it airborne….

P20

I had the old 456 years ago. It was fun, but harsh. To be expected for the money I guess. A C456 which was comfortable, but dull. My Soul is fantastic. Good fun, lovely ride, great handling. All 26″

chris85
    Free Member

I would say definitely as the 456 was the harshest most horrible ride I’ve ever ridden on, although if you’re only riding it around trail centre it’s probably alright.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Can’t say I noticed much harshness on my 456 Evo, even during a month touring the Alps. My lad used on old Summer Season during that trip and that was a bit stiffer at the rear.
    With big tyres I’m not sure I could differentiate between the give in different steel frame, especially the tiny amount that would occur in a fixed rear triangle.

snapperdan
    Free Member

I’ve had lots of fun on my 45650b on natural mountain routes and trail centres and compared to the Genesis Core I used to ride it’s not harsh at all!

But as capable as it is at gobbling up rocky descents like the track from LLyn Crafnant to Capel Curig the fun factor seems to be missing for me.

I read a review of it which says it feels high in the corners and I’d agree with that.

I suppose I’m looking for a lighter bike, which feels great pumping round a corner, pops a manual without having to get your arse 4ft off the back of the bike and makes the trail come alive rather than bludgeoning everything before it into submission.

The Switchback looks like a great handling bike, but it’s a bit pricey when I factor in all the bits and tools I’d need for a build and it’s just as heavy as a 45650b.

FOG

Went from 456 to 26″ Soul which I felt was a real improvement. 456 was a bit like a tank, Soul is more subtle. I imagine the same applies in their 650b incarnations. What it isn’t is a new style slack , low , big forked HT, much more of an all rounder which is what I wanted.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Changing from one steel hardtail to another, especially if you transfer all the components across is not likely to save you an appreciable amount of weight. The fact is, if you’re looking for bikes for a certain type of riding, you’ll spec it with kit appropraite to that type of riding and the weight differences between similar type of frames is pretty damn small.

Focus instead on the ride characteristics you want. ‘It rides light’ is better than a half pound weight saving.

I can’t really comment on the 275 soul, but I would think that the bigger wheels will off set any difference in frame weight. You should end up with something that feels broadly similar in the chunk due to the wheels instead of the frame, but maybe a bit more comfortable and slightly more zing.

Maybe.

EDIT: just noticed it’s a 650b 456. I was thinking of the 26″ version.

br
    Free Member

I suppose I’m looking for a lighter bike,

Probably cheaper/easier to just swap out a couple of heavy components than replace the frame?

Del

are you already set up tubeless?

cultsdave
    Free Member

I think that most modern steel frames lose that lovely steel feel as they have big fat seat tubes to accept a dropper post. My bird zero tr is every bit as nice as my mates sole but much lighter!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth upgrading from a 45650b to Cotic Soul 275?’ is closed to new replies.