Home Forums Bike Forum Is it worth having a 2.5l frame bag?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is it worth having a 2.5l frame bag?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

I’m in the process of getting set up for some long distance bike-packing on my trusty Ragley Marley.

Unfortunately, checking on the Apidura templates, I think that 2.5l may be the largest frame bag that I can fit in it.

Is it worth having a frame bag that’s so small?

JoB
    Free Member

2.5L of storage is 2.5L of storage :-)

you still can fit a useful amount of snacks, tools, spares, a waterproof or whatever you fancy in there

if you’re serious about it have you considered a custom frame bag to fit your bike, Restrap for one will make you one up based on a cardboard template you send them

scotroutes

If it’s 2.5L but you normally carry two water bottles in the same space then you’re only really gaining 1L of space.

Having said that, I’ve recently ordered a custom frame bag for my Topstone that’ll let me still carry one 950ml bottle. It’ll provide me with just over 3L of space which I reckon will be useful. I’ve used a Lomo frame bag on my fatbike for many years and that’s 3.5L. It’s been very handy as a day-to-day storage space and welcome extra capacity during winter expeditions when Intend to be carrying a bit more anyway.

crazy-legs

I’ve got a 2.5L Half Frame Tailfin bag, used it for a weekend tour recently on my road bike, used it on my MTB for tools, spares etc.

Big enough for the basics, not so big that it gets rammed with too much stuff.

In fact it’s been one of the best purchases I’ve made, opens up a whole load more riding without having my jersey pockets full to bursting!

TheGingerOne

I would rather use a handlebar bag as does not restrict water bottles and seem to have greater capacity

scotroutes

I was assuming that the OP.was already using a handlebar bag/harness but there are some weight distribution advantages in favour of a frame bag.

tall_martin

My alp kit 3l bag takes 2l bladder of water sandwiches and possibly a jacket stuffed in.

So I say yes.

Also have you considered a custom bag to maximise your space? Alpkit used to make them. There are a few folks who will make you a custom bag.

zilog6128

I bought the smallest (2.3L) Tailfin half-frame-bag as that was the biggest that would fit in my medium Topstone (and still also carry 2x Camelbak Podium bottles, albeit the front one has to be a smaller 650ml bottle).

It’s about half the size of the frame bag I can fit on my Croix de For (again also with carrying 2 bottles) but it’s still useful space!

there are some weight distribution advantages in favour of a frame bag.

definitely – heavy stuff (which you might need to access easily) e.g. power bank

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.