• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is it too early to get the winter road bike out?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Built this up for the winter this year – anyone using their winter bike yet or do I need to wait until the clocks go back!

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been using mine all summer 🙂

My Bianchi (‘proper’ road bike) only ever comes out in the dry…

ourmaninthenorth

Nope. Part of being british is riding a winter road bike for 8 months of the year. By rights, winter bikes ought to have good kit on them for the amount of use they get.

Nice looking bike..!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Now’s a good time. Looking at winter road bikes too. I like the look of that frame.

karnali
    Free Member

too early, i have spent pretty much the whole year riding my cross bike which is the winter bike and commuter, finished building up my new rourke frame the other night, got up this morning and it had stopped raining so though sod it thats what i’m riding to work on, i think it may get some crud road guards and be used all winter. I’m coming to the conclusion that my last good road bike got ridden so little incomparison i will ride this all the time and replace the drivechain when needed and also get it resprayed when needed. In the real crappy weather i’ll use the hardtail for commuting, sell the cross bike as it never gets used of for cross, and buy some nice wheels to use for best on the road bike.

finbar
    Free Member

That’s nice. I want a Kinesis. No mudflap on the rear though?

I took my Trek XO out this weekend for the first time. Changed all the drivetrain though so it’s nicer than my summer bike anyway 😐

Mister-P
    Free Member

My Cervelo was put away in August when I built up a Genesis Equilibrium for winter duties.

ac282

I commute all year on my winter bike. After my last race I give it an overhaul and use it for all my road riding until spring.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

due to lack of space i dont have a winter road bike anymore. going to need to spend alot of time cleaning after rides this winter 🙁

slowjo
    Free Member

Mine will be coming out for the first time this weekend (winter bike that is)

Junkyard
    Free Member

my summer road bike becomes my winter road bike by the simple addition of mudguards and lights.
    Nice bike though OP
    My SS comes out and the FS gets put away

cynic-al
    Free Member

Either when it rains and/or once the roads get slated, i.e. first cold spell after October.

Mine gets used daily as a commuter though.

rootes1

that looks like more of an ‘all year round’ bike for commuting..

v nice so yes start using it!

Alex

I dithered for a while but after pricing up a replacement group set for my Boardman, bought a Ribble 7005 Winter bike. Road round here are properly terrible, although buying a white road bike with white bar tape probably wasn’t that smart…..

Probably could have run the Boardman through the winter again. Just didn’t want to.

oddjob
    Free Member

Depends on the weather this weekend. As soon as the roads have been salted, my summer bike is left on the trainer until there are some leaves appearing on the trees again in the Spring.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My winter road bike is for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants a bombproof fixie…

jonb
    Free Member

Winter bike comes out at the same time as the gritters unless it’s really wet and I want a bike with mudguards.

Jase
    Free Member

Well right on cue the suns appeared!

So not too early, next weekend of crappy weather I’ll be on it.

BTW, should I have got a rear mud flap then with the mudguards (SKS) or is it an optional extra?

rootes1

no, sks chromoplastic do not come with a rear flap and no need for one either really… unless you are spraying wheel huggers… but then perhaps not!

finbar
    Free Member

tim41
    Free Member

Been using my commuter Racelight all summer, since building it up late spring. Mudguards on all the time to make life easier, and drier 🙂

montylikesbeer

I’m picking up my Ribble winter trainer tomorrow, can’t wait……….. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

tim41 – what on earth have you done to those bars? 😉

BTW, should I have got a rear mud flap then with the mudguards (SKS) or is it an optional extra?

Only relevant if group riding – mudguards (even full length) tend to primarily keep the rider dry. Everyone else in the group will still get wet – mudflaps (usually home made bodges) help ensure that crap isn’t flicked into the face of the riders behind you.

hillsplease

Mudflaps are a must in club rides. My winter bike is the default road bike and commuter. Nice light bike gets ridden v rarely. Which is daft.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Fitting my mud guards tonight to my winter bike.

Been using it for the last 4 weeks due to wet roads and leaves.

Anybody sticking to 23s or 25mm tyres? my 25’s are wearing but have some Krylions on 23’s.

Like that red Genesis.

tim41
    Free Member

tim41 – what on earth have you done to those bars?

I know, they’re a bit upward, but they’re comfy like that. The photo angle from low exaggerates it, honest 😕
    I have total disregard for ‘The Rules’ hence mtb spds, charge spoon saddle and no doubt countless other transgressions 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

I dithered for a while but after pricing up a replacement group set for my Boardman, bought a Ribble 7005 Winter bike.

finally saw sense then? ;o)

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers, won’t worry about lack of flap then.

Alex

John – well for a given value of “sense” 😉 The “special edition” was silly cheap with Tiagra. I’ve just cleaned my Boardman after two mucky commutes and it took ages, so I think I’ve made the right decision.

Wandering vaguely off topic, I remember the last commuter I had with full mudguards, a feeling of satisfaction watching the water drain out of the end.

19 commutes between GMT/BST is all it needs to pay for itself. Worked the cost of driving/parking to work and gave myself a fright!

Jase
    Free Member

Well no need to use it this weekend 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is it too early to get the winter road bike out?’ is closed to new replies.