Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Is it possible to find a half decent VW T5 for under £6k………
  • revs1972
    Free Member

….without having to trawl through the scammers on Vantrader and Ebay ?

Forgetting about the VW vs everything else debate, a T5 is what I would like and top end of my budget is at £6K.
    Every time you see one on the above sites, its too good to be true.
    Im not wasting my time contacting you about your “2007 plate with camper conversion at £5250”, I know you are a scammer *
    Are there any other reputable sites where I should be looking for such a vehicle (probably a 1.9 SWB with seats in the back).
    Thanks

* if you are not , then i’ve missed out on the bargain of the century there !!

fieldy
    Free Member

Answer to your initial question; NOPE

You could try the T4/T5 forum 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

does the odometer go high enough to record the number of miles that are going to be on a 6grand t5?

zerocool

You’ll probably have to trawl through the sites for a bargain. But because they’re so popular people want lots of money for them.

Best bet is look in all the local places. But most for that money will be pretty high mileage. I’d love one, but they’re so much more than anything else.

binners

You’ll get a money-pit with a VW badge on it for under 5 grand, I’m afraid

H
    Free Member

I would say yes!

I was looking all last summer and was aiming for a 2007 with 70k miles for £7k inc vat. After looking for a few months I settled on a 2005 with 80k for £5.5 inc vat.

Needed £400 in the body shop to remove a from the side, but has FSH. This is a base white van, 84ps and no mod cons. Expect to pay a lot more for non white / tailgate / elec windows / air con.

Had it 11 months now and use it as my only vehicle. So far has cost me new pads and discs and a £240 service, now on 94k miles.

Yak

You’d probably get a reasonable T4 for that. In fact there’s one near me being sold at a local garage. Think it was a stw’ers van previous to that as I’m sure I’ve been in it with bikes out to a ride.

spacemonkey

<slopes off to T5 classifieds>

All this constant STW T5 chatter and worship in recent weeks … months … years …

</slopes off to T5 classifieds>

sharkattack

My mate found a very nice T5 for exactly 6 grand. Oh how loudly he mocked me and my expensive van now that he’d joined the club for a few grand less.

Within 48 hours the block had cracked.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Same question about a vivaro/trafic?

iolo
    Free Member

You’ll get a great Transit van for that kind of cash.
    With the change spray it black and put VW emblem on front and a few stickers on the back if you must insist on being “cool”

tomd
    Free Member

I got a nice T5 3 years ago for that sort of money. It’s been pretty good, bust has turned into a money pit in the last year. *Sighs*

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You’ll get a great Transit van for that kind of cash.”

define great ….. your at the lower end of the transit market as well……still looking at star ship miles or a grotty body on transits.

i still stand by my for cheap vans go french mantra – interiors dont take tradie wear so well though but are perfectly adaquate for personal use.

trail_rat
    Free Member

in what way a money pit tomd ?

tomd
    Free Member

DMF
    Clutch
    Splined connection thingy between the gearbox and driveshaft
    Clutch slave cylinder
    Some bit of the suspension
    Central locking

I bought it for £6k and I’ve had 3 years out of it so it’s not awful in that context, but starting to get annoying. . It’s 10 years old also so stuff will go wrong. On the plus side it still looks and drives really well, which I think is where it tops the vivaros, transits etc.

batman11
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say 6k for a transit isn’t doable! I got an ex RAC on on an 08 plate with 115k miles for that and the amount of maintance history reports it came with was crazy plus full service. It’s a great van and I’m using it for work quit happily.
    And yes finding a nice T5 will be like finding hens teeth I spent 2 months looking till I went the ex rac/AA type of vans.
    Good luck.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats not a money pit.

clutches are wear and tear – it just so happens that clutches on the t5 are expensive and need ancillarys …. the mechanic i use always has 1 or 2 t5s kicking about his yard getting clutches done

money pit was my old golf where the engine starved its self of water and warped the head…..

tomd
    Free Member

yeah it’s not awful it’s 10 years old after all and the £1500 odd it cost in repairs last years wouldn’t even cover the finance on a crappy small car. However, that was it’s 3rd clutch. The first one lasted 70k miles, the second only 20k. This could be random bad luck, or related to my wife starting to drive the van and her ability to change from 2nd > 1st at high speed rather than 2nd > 3rd 👿

Edit – this rare talent probably also counted for the splined connection thingy! So what I’m really saying is get a T5 but don’t let your wife drive it.

ChrisI

Edit – this rare talent probably also counted for the splined connection thingy! So what I’m really saying is get a T5 but don’t let your wife drive it.

Bingo – /end moneypit 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think its definantly a wife thing.

mines has a tallent for not telling me about a noise the car makes because she things i will stop her driving it till its fixed …. she is right for the most part – and will drive it till it dies on her…. .

i now have to take her car out weekly and drive it just to check for expensive sounding noises…..

revs1972
    Free Member

im fairly fortunate in that one of the guys who works for us is a mechanic as well, so I can get jobs done for around £10/hr.
    Have seen a few slightly above my price range, that have had the work
    tomd describes, done recently, so i might have to spend a few pennies more.
    Is it true that if it is a commercial vehicle then it has a different speed limit on the road. If so, how would you go about changing its purpose of use ( this would be for domestic driving at weekends etc)

trail_rat
    Free Member

the only way to get the higher speed limits in a vehicle already registered as a commercial van is to get it reclassified as a motorhome ….- with a motorhome conversion in place obviously.

real world – be sensible pay attention and drive to conditions its likely you wont have any issues.

YMMV !

hot_fiat

Is it true that if it is a commercial vehicle then it has a different speed limit on the road.

Sure is. 50mph on single carriageway nsl and 60 on dual. 70 on motorways. Contact the dvla and enter the “I’m sorry I’m not sure who would deal with that” telephone transfer abyss.

hora
    Free Member

Is it for your plumbing or building work OP?

trail_rat
    Free Member

errr iolo what is so great about that van ? its got high milage , its RWD meaning reduced load space as floor is higher, it likely has a towing diff which means high revs at motorway speed.

its cheap for a 2008 granted but its pretty crap for a bike van.

revs1972
    Free Member

Wife has just chipped in with an oh no…not that colour.
    Looks to be pretty well equipped though must admit.
    It’s not for work purposes, just always fancied something to use on weekends / holidays etc to be able to chuck everything in , including the kids , bikes , tents etc.
    Will probably sell the CMax too and get a little 60mpg runabout with £30 a year tax for commuting.
    Just something about VW that I can’t quite put my finger on , that just says yes to me.
    Although I did say I’d never buy a ford, or a Skoda and I’ve had both of those.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member
    johnj2000
    Free Member

Seems to be some reasonably priced T5’s on here Linky

Anyone have clue what to look for amongst that lot? Can you take any of them and just drive or are you buggered with that commercial vehicle situation mentioned above?

Edit: sorry, above OP’s price bracket but selfishly still interested in opinions

geoffj

😯

johnj2000
    Free Member

That is awesome 8)

steveh

It’s definitely possible but hard! The only way is to be all over ebay, gumtree and autotrader at the right time to find the cheap ones that come up.

revs1972
    Free Member

Geoffj……you dissing my van

hora
    Free Member

Only tradesman, kidnappers, travellers and lifestyle wannabes need a van.

Actually scratch that.

Only tradesmen.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I just want something I can put 4 bikes into and drive the family to a CP for a ride. A van fits the bill but I guess that makes it a lifestyle thing.

revs1972
    Free Member

Yes, when I borrowed the pickup from work to take some stuff to the tip, with the wife and boy in the passenger seats, I did feel decidedly “pikey”
    Didn’t help when the boy started running around like an idiot on the flat bed with his top off. ( we were stationary and parked up at this point)

johnj2000
    Free Member

Could have been worse, the wife could have joined him.

Mugboo

My tuppeneth on T4/T5 (admittedly I own a 153,000 mile T4).

The dealer I bought it off said that T5’s eat clutches. The bloke at my local T5 camper converters has swapped his T5 for a T4, in his words “T4″s last”.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

A mate of mine has a 2004 T5 with less than 80k for £6200.
    so I would say if you take your time they are available

trail_rat
    Free Member

a man with a picasso is slagging off folk for having a van ? quality.

i find my van invaluable for moving bulky dirty stuff – of which bikes are one of the many bulky dirty items……

dont see you getting an engine and gear box in the back of the picasso in a hurry …. or a central heating boiler.

tip runs

Trips to builders merchants/BnQ (of which i do alot)

Taking loads of bikes while someone else takes a car full of people

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to find a half decent VW T5 for under £6k………’ is closed to new replies.