Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Is it bad form to comment on classified adverts?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do remember (when it was all fields) and classified was mostly folk emptying sheds at a price that was better than putting the stuff in the bin but was barely mates rates. Then ebay happened and all the cheap mates rates stuff was bought up by opportunists and shoved on the bay and the happy bubble burst.

+1

Old STW – a load of middle class people clearing out their sheds of UN72 BB’s, King headsets and other bling trinkets for cheap (ebay – 15%)

New STW – a load of chancers who’ve been told on Pinkbike, Bikeradar and Facebook that STW is full of middle class bike riders and will pay over the odds for anything. I doubt there’s even enough ‘genuine STW’ stuff on there anymore to make it worthwhile trawling with the intention of selling it on ebay.

roverpig

I’ve never really understood the classified section on here. When I started I just assumed it was the place where members of the “community” traded their stuff, but that’s clearly not the case. A quick look at the posting history reveals a number of people who seem to be basically small-time traders and who are just using the classified section to get free access to a large pool of potential buyers. Given the current stance on “sponsored riders” punting their videos, it seems strange that this is allowed to continue, but maybe it does drive new traffic to the site or something.

I’ve sold a few things recently as a result of comments in the main forum. In all cases the process has been smooth and pleasant (hopefully on both sides 🙂 ). Personally I’m not looking to rip anybody off. Knowing that an item is being used and enjoyed by somebody rather than cluttering up my shed is worth more than a few extra quid, but if I can get some funds to help finance my next flight of fancy then so much the better.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

New STW – a load of chancers who’ve been told on Pinkbike, Bikeradar and Facebook that STW is full of middle class bike riders and will pay over the odds for anything.

I used to mod Bikeradar’s classifieds, it was much more “businesslike” than STW classifieds. And Pinkbike ime consistently gives higher prices, and stuff sells there I wouldn’t even bother listing here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do like the current “Rare slot dropout 26″ inbred” Hang on a minute, the most popular single speed frame ever made is “rare”?

I suspect that one might run for a while.

wwaswas

basically small-time traders and who are just using the classified section to get free access to a large pool of potential buyers. Given the current stance on “sponsored riders” punting their videos, it seems strange that this is allowed to continue, but maybe it does drive new traffic to the site or something.

There is a ‘no traders rule’ – a few have been banned for it over the years. If you think someone’s trading then email the mods – they won’t be checking unless pointed at a specific account.

I did wonder if there should be a 1 ad per hundred forum posts rule or something but I think we’d end up with lots of duff(er) forum posts…

Mark

I realised that this place was not actually really a “community” in the eyes of Singletrack Towers.

But the rule that is in place came from the community. It was asked for and we responded. The classifieds is where the vast majority of moderation happens every day. Moderators do not step in when that rule is broken – they only respond if the OP reports it.

The principal is sound. If you have an interest in buying the item then engage with the seller to your hearts content. If you don’t then don’t.

Do you contact Wiggle to tell them that X is cheaper on Evans website? Yes, I imagine you do, if you are planning to buy it. But do you deliberately browse the Wiggle site to find prices of stuff that are cheaper elsewhere and then tell them when you have no intention of buying? Of course you don’t. That would make you a bit odd.

The exact same principal applies here and the rule was implemented because quite incredibly, there ARE people here who like to trawl through the classifieds deliberately searching the internet for places that are selling X for less as if the people who are actually interested are so incapable of doing that for themselves.

The rule works. Moderation issues are down, sellers and buyers seem quite content. The only people who aren’t are the self appointed classified vigilantes who don’t get to play their very odd game of googling the prices of things for sale in a classifieds forum on a bike site.

nemesis
    Free Member

😉

To the topic, I agree with Mark, except when there’s a blatant attempt to mis-sell something in which case I’d say it’s fair game.

roverpig

There is a ‘no traders rule’ – a few have been banned for it over the years. If you think someone’s trading then email the mods – they won’t be checking unless pointed at a specific account.

Thanks and fair points Mark. To be fair, it probably isn’t really “traders” just people whose only interaction with the site seems to be to sell us their stuff.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My perception is the issue came from a community of sellers who didn’t post in the other sections and got upset that their unpaid-for ads were being challenged by people who might actually be giving some dosh to you. And that rather than warning people who might have been so sad as to spoil things repeatedly, a one-size-fits-all-rule was imposed. If you had a PM function here, people could have communicated issues privately, but you don’t.

But it’s your gaff. I’m not complaining, just sharing a perception.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The only people who aren’t are the self appointed classified vigilantes who don’t get to play their very odd game of googling the prices of things for sale in a classifieds forum on a bike site.

Name and shame!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

There are quite a few adverts not just on here, where the item is cheaper new.

It’s up to the buyer (beware).

I try to sell my parts for reasonable prices but I never get them myself lol except when buying in a sale (new).

Also find that parts sell quickly compared to whole bikes – common sense I guess.

scotroutes

There is a ‘no traders rule’ – a few have been banned for it over the years.

It’s a rule which was frequently overlooked for one particular poster.

tomhoward

While we are talking about bad form and classifieds, can we ban the coming into the main forum to (not so) subtly generate interest to an ad in the classifieds.

‘How much is this/would this be worth?’
    ‘Why isn’t this selling?’
    ‘Classifieds are a bit slow at the moment…’

Pretty please?

Junkyard
    Free Member

But the rule that is in place came from the community. It was asked for and we responded

To be completely accurate the “community” who demanded it were the the sellers
    Its does not read to me on this thread, or the other thread[ when it was implemented] , that you did allow us to debate to be fair, that this was the community view.

That said, mods are volunteers, and its an easy rule to enforce and I suspect that played as big a part as right and wrong. Its a practical solution that is easy to enforce.

I think the comparison with actual shops is a little unfair as its a market. I think we would all say to the car boot trader Bloody hell mate that is steep I can get that cheaper new especially if someone we knew was speaking to them.

sellers and buyers seem quite content. The only people who aren’t are the self appointed classified vigilantes who don’t get to play their very odd game of googling the prices of things for sale in a classifieds forum on a bike site.

I think they are trying to stop “friends” from being ripped off and that is a pretty uncharitable description of what went on before the community asked for this change.

Its your forum and the rule wont be changing

I do think its decent of you to allow dissent on here – probably more than I would if I were you tbh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think they are trying to stop “friends” from being ripped off and that is a pretty uncharitable description of them.

If your buying put the part in Google, get 3 quotes from Google shopping and off you go.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surely the seller should do this as they want to sell rather than “rip folk off”

One of those the debate has been done the decision has been made
    Its STW consensus wont break out

wilko1999
    Free Member

He’s finally dropped the price!

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve had people make comments on my ads along the lines of too pricey or something like that, and then the stuff sells to someone else the next week…

I’ve also been amazed what some people are happy to pay for – used tyres, inner tubes, chainrings etc.

This is the beauty of capitalism – one buyer and one seller happy to come to an agreement and everyone’s a winner!

So everyone’s entitled to an opinion but personally I wouldn’t spend time making comments on someone else’s pricing/selling strategy – none of my business really. If I do want something and I think it’s overpriced then I’ll make an offer…

If you think those gloves are too expensive then go ahead and make me an offer and they’ll no longer be there for you to get yourself in a lather over 🙂 Like Mark says I think it’s a bit odd that people are so obsessed about it!

tomhoward

I once bought a new, labels attached, jacket off of Jamie at something like 5% off what he paid for it, as he couldn’t be bothered to take it back wondered if a stwer was after one, about a dozen folk chimed in with what a mug I was/monster he was 😆

philjunior
    Free Member

convert – Member
    My particular fav at the moment is the stump jumper frame for £1500 poster has had it pointed out that he is more money than can be bought for new with a manufacturers warranty. But still insists on reposting saying he is not bothered….eh?
    It has been known for folk to be told by their other half the bike has to go for mortgage/baby/calamity reasons. You put it up for sale at an unreasonable price, have evidence to show the boss that you are trying happy in the knowledge it’s never going to leave your shed.

I have always disagreed with the no commenting saying it’s a ripoff rule…

Until now!

wilko1999
    Free Member

This entire thread was started regarding that frame. As I posted above – he’s finally dropped the price! A bit.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Is it bad form to comment on classified adverts?’ is closed to new replies.