Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is a rubber rim strip essential for tubeless with non-UST rims ?
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m about to install some UST tyres on non-UST rims and would like to run them tubeless. I’ve already installed some Stans plastic sealing tape over the rim which should make it air-tight. Question is, do I really need to install a rubber rim strip on top, or is it possible to go without, and just install a valve seat ?

The reason I ask is that in my experience, the extra thickness of Joes/Stans rim strips can make some tyres near impossible to get onto the rim, and pop into place when inflated, so I’m tempted to try without. I’m aware that proper UST rims don’t require a rubber strip (just a valve core) so that does suggest the tyre bead and liquid sealant is all that’s required. But is this the case with non-UST rims ?

I guess another way of asking this is “what functionality does the rubber rim strip provide when fitted to non-UST rims” ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

A rim can be non ust and still be tubeless ready stans for example.

So what’s the rim?

pnik

You dont need a rubber strip, you do need something to make it airtight. Stans tape might do it. Being a tight fit isnt all bad, should make it easier to seal. I used 1″ gorilla tape last time which seems to be working better than the cafe latex tape i had on before. Suck it and see.

breadcrumb

I have 2bliss tyres on non-tubeless DT Swiss rims, using only Superstar tape and valves with Stan’s sealant.

I think it’s just a case of trying it.

I have some Joe’s no flats rubber tapes kicking about you could have cheap if you get stuck though.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You should be ok with the yellow tape, OR cloth tape and rubber strips.

coatesy
    Free Member

Stan’s rimstrips have a raised lip on the outer edges that the tyre bead pops over (one of the reasons they’re tight), and seats into, helping prevent it from unseating itself when cornering. Feel free to run without one as long as you can put up with the possible consequences.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Interesting points, but it shows there doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus as to whether you need the rubber rim strip or not – Coatsey suggests a good reason, although I reckon the strip width needs to be spot on for that too work as intended.

I seem to recall that a Stans kits comes with both yellow tape and rubber strips, which implies you need both. But I’ve heard of cases where people do without the rubber strip, even with non-tubeless parts, e.g.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday-tubeless-conversion-2010.html

Just to clarify, I’ve got these wheels:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-hoops-pro3-xc6-wheelset-ltd-edition/rp-prod76964

although mine are an earlier prototype without any branding on the rims, so I’m not sure if they’re Stans Crests or not (even Hope weren’t sure when I asked them).

Thanks for the offer Breadcrumb. I actually already have some rubber rim strips – it’s the valve stems I don’t yet own. The reason I’m hesitating trying this with the rubber strips is that my rims are a pain to fit tyres onto – even with inner tubes I need about 60 psi to seat the tyre beads. Hence I’m wanting to avoid anything that pads out the rim circumference. I think I just need to buy some Stans valve stems and try it out.

Northwind

If it’s a stans rim then you definitely don’t want the rubber strip ime. If not then you might. Some rims are fine, some not.

The reason there’s so little concensus on non-tubeless rims is that different people have different expectations, I think. I tried my DT5.1s with just tape, frinstance, and it was useless as far as I’m concerned- sealed up fine, stayed up fine, but pinged off the rim with hardly any force

stimpy
    Free Member

I’ve Stans rims and just use the yellow tape. Rubber strips have sat in the toolbox for years. Cut valves off old inner tubes to use for tubeless.

jamj1974

I never use a rim strip – only tape with Stans. Non-tubeless rims I use a rim strip and the associated tape. I’ve only used UST or Tubeless Ready tyres.

creamegg
    Free Member

I only use gorilla tape (or similar) weather tubeless rims or not. Never had a set up fail yet on a number of different rims

jamj1974

I wouldn’t go tape only on non-tubeless rims OP! The tight fit is crucial IME.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can do it, but there might be issues. Without the strip the bead might be so loose in the well of the tyre that you can’t inflate it, or it won’t inflate without CO2. The right rim strip can make it reasonably tight with the bead in the well, which means it’ll hold just enough air to start inflating with a track pump.

Northwind

My DT M1900 wheels aren’t tubeless (er, as far as I can tell) but work brilliantly with just tape. I wouldn’t have even bothered trying but previous owner had gorilla’d them and it’s almost as good as a stans. Not quite- sometimes the tyre unseats off the bead when deflated.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks again for the replies.

Well I’m pleased to report that with only Stans yellow tape and Stans valve stems fitted, my Conti UST tyres went on incredibly easy, just with a track pump and a splash of soapy water. The beads popped out around 35psi.

The ease that this all went together (compared to my other tubeless setups that use rubber rim strips and need a compressor) probably does suggest my rims are Crests. Either that, or I’m just very lucky with the combi of rim/tyre I’ve ended up with.

So tubeless gets the thumbs up from me again – I’d sort of begun to give up on it until today 🙂

jamj1974

Excellent

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is a rubber rim strip essential for tubeless with non-UST rims ?’ is closed to new replies.