Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • IR Pass Distribution Amplifier with Sky TV – How?
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Silly question but how exactly do these work. I’ve just had AV guys in to hang my TV’s on the wall, fit an aerial and some other AV stuff. They’ve fitted a 8 way IR pass distribution amplifier in the loft and run a cable out of the sky box into the coaxial point in the room. They’ve also plugged in all the co-axial cables now into the amplifier.

I’m now told I’ll be able to view whatever is on the Sky box in the living room on other TV’s throughout the house, and could fit a Magic Eye so I can control Sky box remotely from the other room etc etc.

Unfortunately I had to leave to get back into the office mid install and left the wife to understand it all, lets just say she failed the exam at the end by not paying attention.

Is it just a case of tuning the TV’s in and it detects the extra signal from the Sky box, like an extra channel per se. Or do I need to do something different to pick up the Sky on the remote TV’s?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is it just a case of tuning the TV’s in and it detects the extra signal from the Sky box, like an extra channel per se.

Yes.

And fit a magic eye to each telly so the remote signals bet passed to the Sky box. The Sky box is basically feeding whatever is being viewed in the living room out of the RF2 port up to the distribution unit from where it gets sent to all the other TVs along with the usual aerial signal. Works well but quality ain’t good though to put it mildly.

grantyboy
    Free Member

thanks for that, seems easy enough

jfletch
    Free Member

Works well but quality ain’t good though to put it mildly.

Is there a better way?

I’m about to embark on cabling up some TV access in a part of the house that currently doesn’t have an coaxial from the aerial. Was going to go down the RF2, amp, magic eye route but if there is a better way I’m game.

Can you do something with HDMI?

29erKeith
    Free Member

magic eye on coax for changing channels, hdmi will go 10 meters after that I think you need a booster.

I’ve got two TV’s on HDMI and one on Coax (Quality’s not great on the coax, but is ok for the little 19inch TV we use on occasions in the bedroom). 5m and 10m HDMI leads from an active splitter after the sky box. Sky box is in a cupboard under the stairs. 2 TV’s with magic eye and one with an IR repeater because of of the surround sound AV etc for that room is under the stairs too.

bit of a mish mash but it all works, HTH

jfletch
    Free Member

5m and 10m HDMI leads from an active splitter after the sky box. Sky box is in a cupboard under the stairs. 2 TV’s with magic eye

I assume the magic eye doesn’t work with HDMI. Do you have a coax to the TV as well to power the magic eye?

Cougar

Is there a better way?

Remote control with the Sky app on your smartphone. Exponentially better than poxy bloody Magic Eyes.

jfletch
    Free Member

Remote control with the Sky app on your smartphone. Exponentially better than poxy bloody Magic Eyes.

What happens when I’m out and someone else wants to change the channel?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘IR Pass Distribution Amplifier with Sky TV – How?’ is closed to new replies.