Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Iphone they any good ?
  • mentalalex
    Free Member

as above, i can get one cheaper than anywhere else.

so what's good about them?,Whats bad ? i have got a ipod touch and i love that, so what else has been added apart from the applications the Touch has like safire, youtube etc.

cheers Alex

Flash
    Free Member

They're brilliant, best phone ever – get one

Flash
    Free Member

Too locked down get something else

docrobster
    Free Member

Difference between iPod touch and iPhone?
    Er, the phone bit!
    Seriously though, can't live without mine now.
    Sent from my iPhone.

Flash
    Free Member

Thread closed

mentalalex
    Free Member

Ta

Jamie
    Free Member

They are shit!

They are great!

repeat.

CountZero

Flash, sod off! Who cares apart from a bunch of geeky types who whine about Apple 'controlling' their phone experience. Who gives a toss? Do they not remember early WAP phones, on Orange in particular, which were so locked down by the provider that there was virtually no web access available except through their portals. The iPhone is a very open device when it comes to web access, apart from rare sites that are wholly Flash, and judging by a certain user name, that's probably why his panties are in a knot. Frankly, I can care less about Flash, considering recent threads on here about Flash on this site crippling users computers. If it does that with desktop machines then I can live without this phone slowing to a crawl just 'cos some designer thinks it's really 'cutting edge' to have moving banner ads all over the place, when there are much less processor hungry alternatives available. The fact this iPhone displays all the moving ads except for the Chain Reaction one proves that. Android phones look pretty neat, but the point is it's just an open OS, so there's no guarantee that if you use a particular Android phone, then replace it with another make, the interface is going to match your previous phone. It would be like a roomful of MS machines with everyone having a totally different GUI. Quite apart from the fact that having totally open systems their vunerable to Malware attacks, like the jailbroken phones in Australia. I want a phone that works, that plays my music, that syncs with my computer easily, that has lots of neat little apps readily available from one centralised source, that have been checked as being compatible with the phone, and, most important, is staggeringly easy to use out of the box without having to grep through 100-odd pages of a stupid manual every time I want to do something. My iPhone is the first phone I've had in many years of mobile ownership that has become truly indispensable on a day-to-day basis because of it's sheer versatility. Today at work it has been an ebook reader for a while, a DAB radio while I listened to 6Music, a weather station while I checked out WeatherPro for the weekend forcast, with satellite and radar displays. Roll on next June when the 64Gb 4G version comes out.

allthepies
    Free Member

Fanboi ^^^^

sc-xc

and breathe.

BoardinBob

I like it, but a word of warning, the battery life is horrendous if you want to use the internet on it.

Nico
    Free Member

Weatherpro? :-O GIGO.

john_walker74
    Free Member

Well my Nokia work phone died and my iPhone was fine when in the same pocket of my rucksack during a downpour on my way home a few months ago.

AlasdairMc

Fantastic phone, my only gripe is battery life. My only other gripe was being unable to paste a number into the phone app, but almos as soon as I discovered this, Apple provided an update that supported this.

Any other handset I've had has not supported this level of software customisation, the firmware hasn't changed much at all in each iteration. I've used Symbian and Windows Mobile extensively, and nothing beats iPhone in usability stakes.

Al

posted from my iPhone btw

rs
    Free Member

Is the reason that everyone slates the battery life not because the thing is actually useful and you therefore use it a lot more through the day than a regular phone or even an inferior smartphone! I don't have one BTW.

john_l
    Free Member

Yes, exactly.

Flash
    Free Member

XT do you really care that much about a phone?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Silly question.

Do you have to be near a WIFI connector to surf the internet?

If not and it's on board how quick is it at opening pages such as this?

Ta

cp

Yeah, I use mine WAY more than a normal phone, never have an issue with running out of juice, just recharge whenever I get the chance. If I use it like my old phone, I get about 3 days.

cp

Internet works anywhere you have phone signal. If on 3g in towns, it's fast on stw. If you drop to edge, it's slower, and in 2g areas it's doable. I'm on 2g now, it's fine.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I don't own one, but the web pages load pretty fast and the multi touch gestures to zoom in and out are very neat. I'd get one if I wasn't averse to 2yr contracts and I think I'd break it!

docrobster
    Free Member

Was gonna say yeah, battery life not great, but then it died and had to plug it into the mains for the last 20mins!
    Was fully charged at 7pm, dead after 4hrs of lurking/posting on Stw!
    Means basically you can't rely on it for a weekend away unless you have access to car charger. You can switch off wifi, gps, bluetooth and 3g to save battery I suppose but I never remember till it's too late!
    Better go, 20% battery remaining…

nonk
    Free Member

how many of you that have one allso have a mac?
    and are you missing the best of it if you dont?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

got one the other week following an update from the N96. Pretty good but some basic functions missing, like the alarm does not work if the handset is switched off and you cant delete all your texts at once! But good, plenty of good features. Get one.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So the alarm won't work if you turn the phone off? Surely that's the simplest thing since ALL phones do that except the i phone! shocking 😆 but that's what I want! Don't want idiots calling me in the middle of the night as I had to leave my phone on for am alarm! oh well by the time I buy one i'm sure they'll have sorted it out.

nickc

You can't delete all your texts at once

yep, that would be a deal breaker for me… 😉

Nico
    Free Member

Munque-chick by the time you buy one we'll be communicating by telepathy and flying around with jetpacks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no excuse for that battery life ……

i use my e71 loads on the net , on the open office program for work , msging , GPS etc

It lasts 2 days minimum – except in cyprus where because they have a 3g only network it used my battery quickly !

iphones quirky but there are others out there that do the same – and you need to ballance cost – vs features

My remit was – internet , full keyboard and office doc capibility + cheap

Got it on a 20 quid unlimited texts and internet contract with 600 minutes …and free phone …

Iphone never got a lookin at that price and im not regretting it at all having played with folks

neilb67
    Free Member

Alex, brilliant phone. Ask me tomorrow at Coedy and you can have a go with it.

Is this "cheap place" the old man again…?

Djnova
    Free Member

I use the alarm on mine, I put the phone on silent overnight to stop the calls text etc but the alarm still rings.

jam-bo

Best phone I've ever had. When this contract is up I'll hold on for the 4g.

If you want it on but not receiving calls just put it in airplane mode.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

GPS is the real battery killer. If battery life is a problem (eg away at weekend and can't charge it) you can get a battery case for it. A bit bulky for going out at night, but as it works by running off the extra battery first, you can leave it for the night and re-attach when get back (it then charges the phone from the spare battery). Weekends away are full of battery then.

The phone is awesome, but in my opinion the signal is not as good as the other networks I was on before.

Kuco

I've been looking at getting one and just watched this review. http://www.trustedreviews.com/video/Apple-iPhone-3GS

For what I want to use it for mainly ipod, occasional web surfing the 3g looked fast enough for me as i'm not interested in video/camera (don't use it on my current phone) or gimmicks like compass. Is the 3gs that much faster and worth paying the extra? It be on payg as I don't need a contract as I don't even spend £10 a month as it is on my current phone.

Also who's better to go with O2 or Orange.

allyharp

Surely it's going to be insanely expensive to source the handset to use on PayG?

z1ppy

nonk – Member

I have a major dislike of Mac's & their fanboys, but g/f got one as an upgrade, I tried it – I signed up for my first ever contract phone and 'paid' for my first phone. I always had hand me down phones previously, as a phone is a tool not a 'must have toy' to me.
    Don't see why you need a mac to get the best out of the phone, unfortunately your stuck with that desperately shit itunes to get music and content onto the phone – only downside IMO.
    Yes the battery is a bit rubbish, though not for browsing IME (wtf are you guys doing?), only when you use it to watch videos or use gps, but I only have to leave it on charge at night (it does seem to charge pretty damned quickly though), no bigge really. Otherwise you can get external battery if you are away from a power point for length of time or just get a usb/car charger.

Mine means I can connect to the internet 99% of the time, and so am never bored when 'waiting' for appointments or just have time spare doing nothing. Watching media/films on it is extremely good too & it's a damned good mp3 player. Mines (32GB) allowed me to carry music I'd never normally have loaded onto a player before (due to size) and have ended up listening to loads of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise… Not ground breaking (after all the ipod been around years), but as a mobile device (not 'just' a phone) I really enjoy mine (still after 6 months) & would recommend itm if any of the above options appeal to you.

GrahamS

iPhone and no Mac here. Don't think I'm missing out on anything.
    Maybe integration with other apps on the Mac might be a little tighter?

jam-bo

not really. but it does look nice sat nice to my imac.

Kuco

Why? as I said I only use £10 max on my current phone, reality is it's probably just over £5 a month. I get free 12 month web/wifi access if I buy it then it's only £10 a month after that and I also don't want to be tied to a 18 month minimum contract.

GrahamS

i'm not interested in video/camera (don't use it on my current phone) or gimmicks like compass

well the compass is kinda handy as part of Gps, and both camera and compass are needed for the new breed of augmented reality (AR) apps which are just starting to emerge.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Iphone they any good ?’ is closed to new replies.