• This topic has 52 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by zomg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • iPhone SE – is it any good?
  • dirkpitt74

I’m currently an Android user and have my music on an iPod Classic……

Unfortunately my new car won’t recognise my classic so can’t play my music.

My current phone is a Pixel 4a which could probably do with changing as I’ve had it 3 years.

Contemplated getting a Pixel 7a and an iPod touch and keeping phone & music separate as I currently do.

Other option is just get an iPhone and have one device for both.

Don’t want to spend £1000’s on the latest greatest iPhone and tbh don’t really fancy spending £500 but that’s what the Pixel & iPod would cost.

So that brings me to the SE – looks like a sturdy phone, can have enough space for phone-stuff, pictures and music.

Is it any good? How does it compare to the Pixel 4a I already have?

Thanks

nwgiles

I have the 2020 SE, seems to be good so far, 4 years in, I would say get the SE 2022 for the 5g capability.

Does all the vpn etc things I need, makes calls etc. £400 from argos, but I would consider CEX/Musicmagpie etc and they come up quite cheap.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I was always an SE fan, got a 13 mini last time (2021) probably because there wasn’t an SE at that time. I like the pocketable size and they always seemed a solid build.

footflaps

I have the SE 2, bought maybe 3 years ago?

I just wanted a small, basic iPhone and it works fine.

tonyd

I have a 12-mini (don’t like large phones) and it does everything I need it to do.

nickc

I’m a fan, all the benefits of the latest iPhone tech in a smaller and more convenient size. If you’re gaming or watching a lot of telly on it, I’d go for a bigger screen, but if you don’t do much of that, the smaller size at least fits more comfortably in pockets (especially on MTB gear). I’ve a 2020SE which will probs need an upgrade soon-ish, but I’ll get another or the 2022 version. I think the industry as a whole has decided that while smaller flagship phones get pretty good reviews, they don’t sell as well as the more larger versions, so I think they’re a dying breed, which is a shame.

robertajobb

I had a 5 SE from work (as we weren’t allows grown-ups phones ).

I always assumed SE stood for Shit Edition.  Completely frustrating to use.

Keva
    Free Member

iPhone12-mini here too, same reason as above, I don’t want to be putting a PC/tablet in my pocket every time I go out.

bensales
    Free Member

My work issue is an SE 3 (the latest one). Perfectly good phone, not noticeably slower than my personal iPhone 15 Pro, although obviously things like the screen and the cameras aren’t anywhere near as good. Sounds like it’d be ideal for your use case, although I wonder why you don’t just get a Pixel 7 for both phone and music if you’re used to the Android eco-system?

benp1

Three in our household (wife and 2 of my kids), the smaller form factor works well. Seem to work well

Only real world downside is the camera not being as good

Kuco

Apple are meant to be working on a new SE though likely to be next year before they release it. Have you tried looking on Apple refurb? They did have some 12 mini’s in there. All their refurb phones come with new batteries fitted.

wheelsonfire1

I’ve got an SE and had it for around 3 years. It does everything well, pictures not as clear as my wife’s 14/15 something but very good. I had a new battery fitted at Apple this year and I get two days from it now. Robust, it lives in my pocket whatever I’m doing, I clean the charge port occasionally with a cut down cotton bud. I couldn’t really justify spending any more. Like my car probably use 20% of it’s capabilities!

dirkpitt74

although I wonder why you don’t just get a Pixel 7 for both phone and music if you’re used to the Android eco-system?

I was an early adopter of the iPod and iTunes for my music and everything is on there.

I never went with an iPhone as they were (and probably still are…) over priced and only seemed to have a 2 year life on them (which now has greatly improved).

joebristol

I’ve got an SE for work and an iPhone 13 mini for personal. The 13 mini is a lot better for me – still small / has facial recognition rather than the thumb print reader / is still small / better camera (s) / wireless charging etc.

I don’t actually know what I’m going to do when the 13 mini dies as they’ve decided not to make a smaller iPhone anymore. My wife has one of the large iPhones (maybe a 12 or 13) and the thing is absolutely enormous once you w put even a slim ish case on it. Going to hang in there as long as I can.

v7fmp

i’ve had all 3 generations of SE. All have been excellent.

I use my phone for messages, odd phone call, music and a bit of internet browsing. I dont use social media or watch films on it. So suits my needs. And i can fit it in my pocket without drama.

Isnt the latest version basically an iphone 14 in a smaller case?

I am a fan of Apple, so like how it works. But i havent got an Iphone 27 super pro ultra A+ to compare it to. Ignorance may be bliss?!

joefm

I have a 2022 SE following an 8.  I prefer the smaller form and the finger print home button.

speed is fine.  no complaints really.

footflaps

I never went with an iPhone as they were (and probably still are…) over priced and only seemed to have a 2 year life on them (which now has greatly improved).

Pricing maybe, but 2 year life is nonsense, I get four years out of each phone then they go to the in-laws who get another few years out of them, then they go back to Apple to be recycled…

MIL currently is using my old 6S and it works just fine for her.

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah Apple have previously delivered security updates for their phones for 5 years after release, and since Covid have extended that to six years.

phil5556

I’d probably look at a 12 or 13 Mini from the Apple Refurb store over the SE, if for no other reason than Face ID. I think the screen might be bigger on them too but the overall size smaller?

Get at least 128GB.

Cougar

keeping phone & music separate as I currently do.

Other option is just get an iPhone and have one device for both.

Why?

Does your iDevice do something your Pixel doesn’t?  Have you got everything in iTunes?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded from a 2020 SE to a refurbed 13 mini, the only reason I upgraded was the SE only had 64Gb of storage and it was near capacity for the last few months.

jamesoz

I’ve still got a fully functioning 2016 SE as a spare and occasional navigation device. It’s running iOS 15 something. An ex work phone.

Only has a small amount of memory which is a limitation these days.

If only they would take a memory card!

Work phone is a 2020 SE, works nicely but lacks some of the features and storage of my personal phone which is a 12 mini.

The longevity and build quality of the hardware is impressive. I did replace the battery in the 2016 se a few years ago.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

Any idea on how much life is left on the 12’s?

Notice it was released in 2020.

ampthill

To me refurbished from the Apple Store is the way to go. New screen and battery, full warranty

For me face recognition and a better camera are worth something. So look at the 12

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/iphone?afid=p238%7CsQtNe3TB9-dm_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_658305724686_pgrid_148297122959_pntwk_g_pchan__pexid__&cid=aos-uk-kwgo-refurb–slid—product-

zippykona

I use a 128gb iPhone 6s for music duties. Cost me £60 and is great.

ampthill

Ps my wife has a work se and it’s great

fatmountain
    Free Member

The 12 mini is a brilliant phone. Again, nice form factor for those not wanting a tablet in their pocket. If I were you, I’d buy a 12 or a 13 mini.

Apple refurbs have got black 12 minis for around 350 quid, which is pretty decent overall. I think the mini’s are worth the extra cash over an SE for various reasons (camera, 5g compatibility, useful face lock function, larger screen but same size).

The main advantage the 13 has over the 12 is a much longer battery life.

sparksmcguff

Not sure about the SE but we buy second hand iPhone 12s for our staff (there’s a mini that is about the size of an SE). Work well paying an average of £260 per phone in very good or excellent condition with 128gb memory. Will save you a bit on having two devices.

jamesoz

“(camera, 5g compatibility, useful face lock function, larger screen but same size)”

The 2022 SE does 5g. Just realised my work phone is a 2022 not 2020.

I probably sound like an Apple fan. I’m not particularly, we’ve had Samsung and Motorola work phones and they are a lot less reliable.

My 12 mini was a gift, I still keep an old Motorola as one of the Apps I use that’s fairly obscure and not available on iOS.

footflaps

Any idea on how much life is left on the 12’s?

Notice it was released in 2020.

IIRC you get 4 or 5 years of SW updates guaranteed, and after that it probably can’t take them.

It will still work, for years after that though….

seriousrikk

Still running a 2020 SE here and it’s only just starting to feel a bit sluggish – I do have a lot of stuff on it though.

Battery is still good for a full day of use even though it’s battery health is in the low 80s. Camera is not so bad either – guess I’ll feel the upgrade more when I do get a new one, but I don’t really feel the need to yet.

zomg

I had a 2016 SE for 6.5 years. It was still getting security updates then but I wanted a better camera. I’d recommend Apple stuff for longevity and length of support cycles in particular, though it’s worth buying a recently released model if that’s a priority for you.

chrismac

Rumour has it the older SE wont be compatible with the new ios if that maters to you

fatmountain
    Free Member

Same, not a fanboy but having had a string of Samsungs and Motos, they don’t seem to last anywhere near an iPhone. In another year, I’ll replace the battery for my 12 and hope it to get another 3 years out of it.

seriousrikk

Just realised, my wife is still on an Iphone 6S with the original battery. Needs charging a lot and the camera is a bit shonky, but it works just fine and is still getting all the security updates.

multi21
    Free Member

seriousrikk

Just realised, my wife is still on an Iphone 6S with the original battery. Needs charging a lot and the camera is a bit shonky, but it works just fine and is still getting all the security updates.

Must 7 or 8 years old? Pretty good going for a phone!
    My daughter is still using an iPad Air 2 from 2014 on its original battery.  It can’t run the latest iOS but will happily still run the important educational apps such as Minecraft, YouTube and Roblox.
    Cougar

Three hundred quid for a three year old device for the OP to play mp3s?

bgreenback
    Free Member

I have an iPhone SE bought new in 2020 or 2021. It’s been excellent, I will get another one when it dies

jamesoz

“Three hundred quid for a three year old device for the OP to play mp3s”

The Op asked if a specific phone was any good and got replies mostly to the positive.
    As I understand they want a device that works with their car and iTunes.

I think you can stream your iTunes on an android device. Dunno never tried it, I don’t really use iTunes myself.

jam-bo

iPhone mini form factor is great but the battery life is compromised.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.