Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • iPhone repairs
  • timbur
    Free Member

Has anyone replaced a power button on an iPhone before?
    I’d consider myself technically able and am not scared to have a go but would like to know of any experiences.
    My silver bit dropped off but with a long nail it can still be operated.
    Cheers
    Tim

allthegear
    Free Member

Things are *very* small inside. I’d be tempted just to take it down the AppleStore and have them take a look; they’re very good.

Rachel

jota180
    Free Member

I swapped the silent switch on one and struggled TBH, I think it was mainly down to my eyesight not being too good.

IIRC the power button shouldn’t be too bad though

simon_g

ifixit.com have excellent guides.

I’ve had 3G / 3GS apart a couple of times and they’re not too bad to work on – unfortunately a power button replacement involves taking it almost entirely to bits to get to it.

timbur
    Free Member

Blast. I was hoping it would be an easy fix.
    No apple store local unfortunately :O(

jota180
    Free Member

The one I tried to fix [and didn’t] I took into an O2 shop and they just swapped it for a refurb [looks new] one for £150 ish

timbur
    Free Member

Blimey Simon, it really is everything out to replace one little bit. Bugger.

wwaswas

tim – there’s a place just over the road from me that does them – Made a couple of repairs on Rachel’s phone following ‘incidents’ – Doctor Tech 01273 820817.

timbur
    Free Member

So they ened up selling you a SH phone for £150 and taking your old handset away? Doesn’t sound like a great deal to me!

timbur
    Free Member

Cheers Luke, will give them a buzz. The part is billy cheap so hopefully someone with little hands and a bit of experience can get it back to greatness.

petrieboy

I had this issue on my 3GS. Lots of stripping down to get the button out so ended up replacing the complete front digitiser assembly. Was less than £10 on eBay including tool kit and was very very easy. Careful seperating LCD from digitiser (I broke mine being ham fisted) but again the replacement was only £10.

jota180
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like a great deal to me!

It was fine for me, I was using it for work at the time and put it on expenses 😀

takisawa2

I’ve had the Wifes 3GS apart to replace the battery.
    Not exactly difficult.

If your unsure look on Ebay or Youtube.
    Theres usually someone offering a post-in service pretty cheap.

timbur
    Free Member

OK.
    Lukes option is £35. Not out of the question but………..
    The part is £2 or less posted.
    I think I’m going to have a go at it when the replacement arrives and has been unlocked.
    Cheers for the help.
    Tim
    (self employed therefore expences still need to be earnt)

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I replace the home button on my iPhone 4 recently. It meant removing virtually everything including the screen. Basically the phone was gutted internally.
    It isn’t difficult, but you need to be methodical and keep parts from each step separate and identify screws of different sizes. Get the correct tools, and have a hair dryer handy to soften adhesive. Also have a couple of extra spare spudgers to hand. I managed I break a couple.

Total time taken 1.5hrs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘iPhone repairs’ is closed to new replies.