Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • iPhone arrives today…apps recommendations?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Come on, we haven't had one of these for nearly a week now. Vodafone finally delivering mine today, so my cockdom becomes even more set in stone. Looking for good organiser/diary type stuff or should I just stick with iCal? Already have SatNav built in to the van, so not looking for anything along those lines.

Anyone shelled out for one of the "expensive" apps and never regretted it?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Anyone actually use iPhones for calls? I've played with a couple now and thing they are ace gadgets but crap phones

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunno, all mobiles are crap for calls aren't they? They stopped being "phones" ages ago innit…

hainey
    Free Member

Launch the sheep 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grinder

the-muffin-man

I've played with a couple now and thing they are ace gadgets but crap phones

WTF are you on about – they work perfectly well as a phone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Flash, old chap, I was wondering where you'd be…is that a real grinder you're talking about or is it an actual app…I wonder… 🙄

GrahamS

Looking for good organiser/diary type stuff or should I just stick with iCal?

I just use the built-in Calendar app, which I have setup to sync over the air with mine and the missus's Google Calendars.

Works well and means I can actually know what we're doing no matter where I am. (No more "I told you my parents were coming" conversations. If it ain't in the calendar, she didn't tell me 😀 )

As for apps:
    Doodle Jump (obviously)
    Jet Car Stunts
    Flight Control
    MotionX GPS Lite
    Photoshop Mobile
    Camera Genius
    Robocalypse

clubber
    Free Member

Worms
    Trail Guru
    Orbital (free version available)
    Camera Genius (thanks to GrahamS)
    Flight Control
    iRemote
    WeatherMaps
    TV Catchup (actually a website)
    PS Mobile (photoshop)

Can't say it's brilliant as a phone but it's not awful either – just average. It's really a mobile computer that you can also use as a phone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

cheers GrahamS and clubber. Investigating now…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

WTF are you on about – they work perfectly well as a phone

They may "work" as a phone but they are not "good phones". There's a big difference. Trust me as one who spent some time finding a phone that would sync with work and be good (quick and easy) for calling people. Rare as hen's teeth

They stopped being "phones" ages ago innit…

Amen

GrahamS

Camera Genius (thanks to GrahamS)

If you liked that then you may also like Gorillacam which is similar but has things like interval timer and 3 shot burst.

Also for the STW Photogs brigade:
    PhotoBuddy is useful for telling you sunrise/sunset and calculating hyper-focal distance, aperture, field of views etc

thehustler
    Free Member

sky+ remote recording sky+
    appboxline general utilites
    ntr connect bit like pc anywhere

GrahamS

be good (quick and easy) for calling people

It's very easy.. just hold the button till the Voice Control bleeps then say "Call Alan"…

…then it will call someone randomly or possibly start playing some Coldplay. 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

PS Mobile here too – great app
    Sky Sports (great for keeping up with footie scores)
    ECB (as above, but cricket scores)
    IM lite (MSN alternative)
    Paper Toss
    Ebay app
    Facebook app

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

sky+ remote recording sky+

Have you been able to make that work – I tried and tried and gave up.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's very easy.. just hold the button till the Voice Control bleeps then say "Call Alan"…

I tried that with one of our twin babies the other day – her 'chat' was interpreted as 'Calling xxxx xxxxxx' random contact 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

GrahamS – on another note – I have an N95 8GB – what's the best way of getting my contacts from it to the iPhone without trashing them all and ending up with a different "contact" for every phone number in my contacts list i.e. GrahamS mobile, GrahamS email, GrahamS home, etc…you know what I mean? The N95 8GB has never really synced properly with my Mac so I've never bothered with it. Can I upload them to the Nokia "cloud" thing and then get them back onto the iPhone without creating junk contacts?

I can probably figure this out myself in the long run, but any tips would be appreciated…

clubber
    Free Member

Graham – Camera Genius does the 3 shot burst and timer

GrahamS

Don't think the Nokia cloud would work, but can you set the N95 to sync with either Windows Contacts (in Vista or Win7) or with Google Contacts: http://www.google.com/contacts ?

If so then you can setup iTunes to also sync them and that will transfer them to your iPhone.

If you're on a Mac and don't want to use Google then I think Mobile.Me does something too – but no experience of that sorry.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Google app, worth it alone for voice search.

IA

deadlydarcy – download the nokia isync plugin and do ti that way. (backup everything first just in case). Or you can do it via google as per my blog here:

Sync an N97 with a Mac over-the-air with Google

thehustler
    Free Member

yes, but you need to go into settings on your sky box and enable remote recording, after doing this works great

GrahamS

Graham – Camera Genius does the 3 shot burst and timer

Oh yeah, but the GorillaCam one has an interval timer for doing time lapse stuff (like 1 shot every 15 minutes for 6 horus) and a built-in spirit level 😀

They're both good – and free IIRC.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

yes, but you need to go into settings on your sky box and enable remote recording, after doing this works great

Tried that (several times) added, deleted, modified registered users and all that – still can't get it to work.

mossimus
    Free Member

Mastilles: Can you remote record from the Sky website? Once you get this up and running the iphone app just works providing you provide correct credentials.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mastilles: Can you remote record from the Sky website? Once you get this up and running the iphone app just works providing you provide correct credentials.

No never been able to do that either – tried from master accounts, sub-accounts – everything.

Ripley
    Free Member

re: sky+ – as mossimus says – if your mysky account is the primary account, i.e. you have added your sky viewing card number in and enabled remote record for your account, the app uses your login details to do the same. Even works well even over GPRS for me – not too slow on downloading the schedules.

Had sky+ installed a week ago, set up the mysky account, enabled remote record and downloaded the app – worked first time for me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just tried to get on the Sky site to try again and I can't get the remote record page to load in Chrome, Explorer or Firefox on a PC running Vista.

USELESS!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

WTF!

You Have Successfully Activated Remote Record
    No I haven't – I couldn't get the page to ufcking load even!!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well it looks like I have made it work this time! Just texting my wife to see if 'Murder, She Wrote' is set to record this afternoon 🙂

EDIT: I don't want to record Murder, She Wrote – but if it appears in our Sky+ menu, I will know it has definitely worked using the remote function.

DudleyPoyson
    Free Member

Firstly jailbreak it (blackra1n will take about 10 mins in total) and try all the apps you want (appulo.us)

then the ones you like pay for and be all legal like 🙂

richardk
    Free Member

Mafia Wars, Vampires Bloodlust or Street Racing for games
    Trapster for, ahem, a speed camera database
    AroundMe for finding the nearest pub

sharkbait
    Free Member

Photoshop.com mobile is coool. like that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well that didn't work. The phone said it had sent the request but it ain't on the Sky+ box when my wife just checked.

(Yes – the box is connected to the phone line).

Still useless.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Woo Hoo – it's here.

Delivery driver was funny though – "Bloody Phones…."

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

m_f, I have got that to work before…hoenstly. Don't use it now though as the box isn't connected to the phone.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am determined that one day it will ufcking work grrrr.

(Not that I watch much telly, I just like to have things that work).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not that I watch much telly

Course not mate, who does… 🙄

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Well that didn't work. The phone said it had sent the request but it ain't on the Sky+ box when my wife just checked.

(Yes – the box is connected to the phone line).

Still useless.

I've never had my sky box connected to the phone and it works fine for me. Just set it up on the web, you'll get an email telling you its been activated. Pick a program to record and it starts your Sky box up a few seconds later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘iPhone arrives today…apps recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.