Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Iphone, android equivalent (especially screen size)
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Hi, similar to an earlier thread, my Iphone contract is up and having a nexus tablet and really getting on well with the Android os, I thought it’d be worth going down the Android path for my next contract. Contrary to the earlier thread I don’t want a much bigger screen than the iphone, something equivalent to i-phone in size seems about right. As mentioned I already have a nexus 7 tablet so I use that for a bigger screen. I believe the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini is a similar size but also believe its a cutdown spec in terms of processor power than the full size. So is there an iphone equivalent sized Android phone, with all the processor power / storage etc etc, of these behemoth sized smartphones that seem to be available a the moment ?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get a big screen. You will get used to it pretty quickly and they are much much nicer to use.

nealglover
    Free Member

..I don’t want a much bigger screen

Get a big screen.

Every STW advice thread summed up perfectly in 11 words :mrgreen:

mogrim

Get a big screen. You will get used to it pretty quickly and they are much much nicer to use.

Much as I hate to basically ignore what you’re asking for, this is pretty good advice. Using an iPhone (5) after my Xperia Z is grim, such a pokey little screen!

I’d probably get a Nexus 5 if I were buying sim-free.

kayak23

I was going to suggest a Nexus 5 seeing as you’re already used to it. It’s not stupidly bigger, but is markedly bigger I suppose.

My HTC One S is a very nice size, similar to an Iphonne, but I guess it’s a bit of a dinosaur now what with being 18 months old….

hughjengin
    Free Member

Iphone fits in my pocket though, and my mates Samsung Galaxy S4 is just daft big and has to brought out onto every pub table etc because its massive I think the Experia is a similar issue

midlifecrashes

Motorola Razr i working well for me here. Not quite the latest thing now, but all of the Samsung mini versions have been much lower spec rather than just smaller. Good battery life for a smartphone too.

prawny

You do get used to the extra size pretty quickly, I went from an iphone to a galaxy s3 and got used to it pretty quickly, the S4 is actually a little bit smaller despite having a bigger screen.

If you want something smaller then the S4 mini and HTC one mini are a decent bet, they don’t get quite the same specs as the bigger ones but I suppose you wouldn’t be using it for the graphics heavy tasks, because if you were you’d want a bigger screen

deviant
    Free Member

Galaxy S4 Mini is a nice size, HTC One-S, Motorola Razr-i, Huawei P6… there’s quite a few about that are around the 4.3 inch size which is about as close as you’ll get to the 4 inch iPhone-5.
    Don’t worry about the latest and greatest specs on all the 5-6 inch devices, anything from the last 18 months has enough power to run everything smoothly, only thing you might miss out on is 4G capability.

traildog
    Free Member

I’d suggest maybe you like the iPhone size because you are used to it. A 5″ phone is not that much bigger in terms of pocket space, but much nicer to use.

Everyone phone I’ve ever owned has had to be brought out on the table in the pub, no matter how small or large.

clubber
    Free Member

I have the same issue. I don’t really want a bigger screen but all the good phones seem to have one.

I have an S3 mini. Just don’t. I manage to keep it working ok by being very careful with what I run on it (though admittedly I run quite a lot on it) but it’s really not in any way a smaller S3. It’s only an S3 in name.

The S4 mini seems similar too – eg not an S4.

I’m pretty much resigned to getting a bigger phone next time round.

Bimbler
    Free Member

You’ll get used to a bigger screen but it may make your Nexus 7 redundant. Apple have really dropped the ball on screen size imo

In terms of bang for buck the Moto G, buy it outright and free yourself of contract Either that or a Nexus 5.

samuri
    Free Member

IPhone to HTC one here. Never looked back especially since I replaced the keyboard with the excellent swiftkey one.

scotroutes

It’s been said before, but there must be a market for a 4″ (appx) phone with a much better battery life.

CountZero

It’s been said before, but there must be a market for a 4″ (appx) phone with a much better battery life.

There is, but only if you never use any of the facilities they offer, that suck the juice, like GPS, having the screen lit for ages doing web stuff, reading, playing games, video, etc.
    The bigger the screen, the bigger the battery that’s required to drive it. Just buy a £25 10,000mAh battery from Amazon and a spare cable, then you can charge phone, pad, speakers, camera…

dannybgoode

Razr i is a good shout – reasonable price and reasonably powerful. Depending on budget an HTC One Mini is worth a look. The S3 mini is really quite down-spec’d compared to the full fat version whereas this is not so much the case between the One and the One Mini.

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Iphone, android equivalent (especially screen size)’ is closed to new replies.