Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Iphone 4S – Siri – Yay or Nay?
  • tartanscarf

As above – one of the main selling points of the 4S is Siri but is it any good or a useless pile of battery chomping poo?

Cheers!
    TS

Duffer
    Free Member

It’s a gimmick, as far as i’m concerned. After a week you’ll stop using it all together.

Get an Android phone, instead 😉

tartanscarf

I’ve used my wife’s HTC Desire – no thanks!

Mantastic
    Free Member

I am yet to get it to answer a single question, I ask and it basically tells me unless I am in the USA it has no idea where the nearer garage is or even what the weather Is doing. Glad it wasn’t the reason I got the phone

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve used my wife’s HTC Desire – no thanks!

If you’re set on an iPhone, then you carry on, sir.

I maintain that Android is a much more flexible platform – if you don’t like the way it looks, then you can change it. You can even set it up to look exactly like iOS.

Pigface
    Free Member

Big Bang Theory hilights the danger of Siri 😆

sputnik
    Free Member

Been using a 4s for about a week now and Siri works a treat.
    Mantastic, you must turn on your Location Services for Siri to know where you are 💡

downgrade
    Free Member

I tried talking to one in the shop, it didn’t get anything I was saying.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Worth it for faster processor and full hd video. Not Siri though….

Mantastic
    Free Member

Location services on, just asked if I need a coat tomorrow, it has no idea, I have to come back later

nealglover
    Free Member

just asked if I need a coat tomorrow, it has no idea

I would take a coat.

sputnik
    Free Member

Its winter, Siri knows you know its winter 😉 therefore a coat is needed.
    Rather ask something more important like what colour coat you should be wearing.

CountZero

It has teething problems, but then it is still in Beta, quite possibly one of the world’s biggest beta tests, as it’s totally open to everyone using a 4S. Unless you count Our Lady Of The Perpetual Beta – Android.
    Don’t consider Siri as the main reason to upgrade to a 4S, look at all the spec changes. Faster processor, faster graphics, more memory – 64Gb against 32Gb, much better camera, 8Mp back-lit Sony chip, capable of shooting true 1080p HD video. It’s only the shape that’s the same, even the steel frame is different; it has two phone antenna against the one on the iP4.
    If you can wait, the iP5 should have significant changes like the A6 processor, and Sony have just announced their latest phone camera, 8-13Mp, with a completely new technology in the chip; RGB-W. More than that is pure conjecture, only Apple know what the hell it’s really going to have inside. Or out.
    Probably coming in October.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or ask it whether it thinks wearing clothes at all is simply a mask we hide behind due to our own intrinsic insecurities.

GrahamS

I quite fancy it. Not for the ability to tell me if I need a coat, but for hands-free texting while driving/cycling.

But it’s not a big enough upgrade from the 4 for me to justify it.

northshoreniall

Ask Siri “where can I hide a dead body” – gives great options

footflaps

I’ve had a 4S since it came out and not even tried Siri yet – no interest whatsoever in it…

GrahamS

I’ve had a 4S since it came out and not even tried Siri yet – no interest whatsoever in it…

Well it’s good that you’re so open minded I guess 😀

defydude
    Free Member

I’m assuming footflaps would take the blue pill…

joao3v16
    Free Member

Nay.

“sending message”, “message sent” bla bla SHUT UP WOMAN

I know a few people with a 4S. They played with siri like school-children for 10 minutes, then’ve never used it since. so they say.

Almost as bad as talking lifts* – “doors opening”, “doors closing”, “lift going up”, “4th floor”, “doors opening”, “doors closing”, “lift going down” … stop talking about it and just do it more quickly!

(*yes, I know they’re a benefit to the blind)

Stuey01
    Free Member

I have an iphone 4s. I replaced an aging iphone 3g with it.

I use Siri occasionally, usually if I’m listening to music when out and about and have the phone tucked away inside my coat somewhere. I’ll use it to change album or make a call. I also use it to set appointments in the calendar from time to time.
    It can be annoying, on Monday it was unable to differentiate between a takeaway called Tutto Tucci and a taxi company in my address book, despite me having no regional accent to speak of and enunciating very carefully. After about 10 goes it got it. I’ve put this down to background noise.

I love the phone, it’s great. But Siri is not, imho, worth buying the phone for. If I had an iphone 4 already I wouldn’t have upgraded. But the 4s is a massive step forward from the 3g and 3gs.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Siri is a man on my phone. Are your friends in the US (I’ve heard it’s a woman there) or have they managed to change the voice?

I ask because I would prefer to set it to a woman’s voice if possible.

ski
    Free Member

Been using Siri to set instant reminders is pretty neat & I find it works quite well.

My wife & kids use it all the time to remind me of all types of things 😉

Everything else I ask it, seems to upset it and tells me it will only work in the US at the moment, wonder when they will update it to work in the UK too?

The video is also very good & I am more than happy with the quality of the stills from the camera, well compared to my old 3gs anyway.

Milkie
    Free Member

There is a setting so she/he won’t keep answering back.

I have the 4S and use Siri quite a lot. I use it for appointments in the calender, reminders, lists for shopping, bike list and things. Also great for googling, conversions, it really does feel like a personal assistant on the end of the phone.

Having JB 4S also helps, as it can now translate, open apps, change settings (wifi on/off, brightness, etc), post to twitter/facebook and a few other things.

I think its pretty damn good with it hooked up to the car stereo, hands free assistant.

I wouldn’t upgrade just for Siri though, but now I’m using it, I sure as hell couldn’t do without it, it would be a right PITA if it was gone.

footflaps

I know what I like and I like what I know 😉

ski
    Free Member

Having JB 4S also helps, as it can now translate, open apps, change settings (wifi on/off, brightness, etc), post to twitter/facebook and a few other things.

Did not relize the 4s could be JB,please tell me more 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

What do you want to know Ski..

You use the Absinthe Jailbreak for Windows here.. and it’s pretty easy 😉

martinh
    Free Member

Occasionally useful, particularly for setting reminders you would never be bothered to type in. I probably use it most for setting timers when cooking.

GrahamS

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtZrBK0FfI[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is it just me or does anyone else feel really stupid talking to a machine? I have hands-free voice control in my car and I hate it – I won’t even use it if I am in the car by myself.

ski
    Free Member

grahamS

lol, that is so funny

GrahamS

I have hands-free voice control in my car and I hate it – I won’t even use it if I am in the car by myself.

Nah, I love it in my car.

Great for calling folk, changing the radio, and working the sat nav without fiddling around and taking my eyes off the road.

Only thing annoys me is that it doesn’t apply any common sense when trying to figure out what I’m mumbling.

Me: “Demisting Off”
    Kitt: “Demisting… On”
    Me: “No it’s already on. Turn it off.”
    Kitt: “Command not recognised.”
    Me: “Demisting OFFFFF”
    Kitt: “Demisting… On”
    Me: “Nnnnnnnngg…”

footflaps

My favourite Siri vid is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eLELOBuT-Q

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Iphone 4S – Siri – Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.