Home Forums Bike Forum Internal dropper on Scott Scale?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Internal dropper on Scott Scale?
  • cogglepin

Following on from my dropper post thread who’s fitted an internally routed dropper on a scale? I know it’s an XC bike and all that but I’m going to fit one. I definitely don’t want external as it will spoil the look of the frame. I’ve found an old thread from 6 years ago but it’s closed now but people on that thread say you have to drill the cable stop on the frame, what would that be?

DickBarton

Any holes in the frame to thread the cable? Or make it ‘easy’ and go for the Reverb AXS or the Magura wireless dropper (both not cheap though!).

Rich_s

Just to make life a little easier for folks on here trying to help, why not include:

I’ve found an old thread from 6 years ago but it’s closed now but people on that thread say you have to drill the cable stop on the frame,

And maybe a pic of your frame and what you’re stuck with?

ansdy

I think it refers to the cable entry up by the head tube.

My (circa 2015) version is front mech compatible so has 2 x cable entries but they didn’t use full length cable outers back so they are in effect cable stops.

If you want to run a full length cable (for rear mech or dropper) you’ll need to open these out. I think I used a brand new metal bit. I’d worry that a wood bit would snag. Just go steady.

Also make sure your dropper cable outer is routed through the frame before you put in the BB as there are no internal guides to help it round.

si77

I’ve fitted a dropper on a 2018 carbon Scale 930 frame without issue.

2 things to note: I had to buy a new 2-hole frame plug for the head-tube end to accommodate the dropper cable and brake hose on one side.

Also, the bottle-cage bosses on the seat tube really limit the post insertion length. Measure this carefully before ordering the dropper post. Ideally you want a post with a short insertion length. Something like the One-Up dropper is likely to fit best and give you the option of the longest drop. (I fitted a X-fusion Manic, and could only manage a 100mm drop.)

I’ll echo above comment about it being easier to install without the BB in place. I did manage to replace a cable without removing the BB once but that involved using fishing line as a guide and a bit of swearing!

cogglepin

@Rich_s sorry I’ve never been able to do pics and don’t know how to link old threads the Luddite that I am! Anyway I’ve not got a dropper yet so I’ve not started doing anything.
    Reading the above comments I think I’ll go have a word with my lbs, and see if they are interested in fitting one for me.
    Last thing I want is to knacker my frame up. Anyway thanks for your replies people.

plus-one

Fitted a stealth dropper to my scale few weeks back. I just removed the blank on right side of frame and drilled it to route the cable. Removed the bb sleeve to route the cable all good :)

cogglepin

Plus-one, do you mean the blank where the front mech would be?

BearBack
    Free Member

What year is your scale?
    Carbon or alloy?
    Cable management porths with inserts or just cable sizes holes behind headtube?

cogglepin

2020 carbon with cable hole behind the head tube where the front mech cable would have been. Can’t seem to see any others, will have a look when I’m back home later.

cogglepin

just had a better read through the replies and I’m definitely going to leave it to the pros, popping into my lbs next week for a chat with them. Thanks all.

plus-one

Plus-one, do you mean the blank where the front mech would be?

yes

BearBack
    Free Member

The 2020 scale used a plastic cable port cover that bolts into the frame behind the headtube.
    This cover accepts a rubber grommet. There are a few different iterations of the rubber grommet available. 1 cable, 2 cable, 2 cable +hose, 1 cable +di2, 1 cable +live valve.

If you don’t have the alternative rubber inserts, you can actually just poke a hole in the free space and push a cable outer through.

The scale prior to this (till 2017) used an alloy cable cover with pre drilled holes. I guess you’d have to go back to the bike before this to get round single cable sized holes straight in the frame.

If you believe you have a 2020 scale with single cable hole straight in the carbon and no cable port, then you might not have a real Scott.

cogglepin

@bearback, I’m home now and just had a look and it looks like a double cable hole. When I have time tomorrow I’m going to see if I can get a cable outer down and take it from there.  Thanks

BearBack
    Free Member

Double hole, you’re good to go. It’ll take a shifter outer no problem.

However, if you’re home installing, I suggest you take the plate off and start from the seatpost end rather than the front.
    Just don’t forget to put the cable through the cover plate/grommet before connecting post to lever.

Whatever fishing method you choose, do consider that the existing internal cables should have a foam sheathing to stop them rattling inside the frame which makes push/pull install a bit more frustrating as things can get snagged up pretty easily on the foam.

Fueled
    Free Member

I found it easy on a 2022 carbon scale 930. I got this, but removing and then drilling out the waiting unused blank would have worked fine.

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/scott-spark-scale-2018-cable-guide-set.html#a266587

I didn’t remove the bb to fit, my approach was a bit of tape on the end of the inner to act like a parachute, shove vacuum cleaner down the seat tube, then feed and jiggle the inner through the head tube end until you feel it being sucked up the seat tube. Then feed the outer through over the inner. Bit fiddly but no scope to really screw up.

Brand x 125 drop worked for me, 100mm wouldn’t go high enough without me getting worried about min insertion.

cogglepin

Thanks guys, not got the dropper yet as I wanted to check the feasibility of fitting it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.