Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Intermittent DX Torch
  • thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of MTE SF-23 torches that I got through DX a couple of years back that seem to have developed a problem.

When I switch it on its fine for a bit then drops to half power regardless of what setting I have it on. I’ve tried mixing batteries and the parts but nothing seems to have made a difference.

Sometimes it comes back to full power after I cycle through the modes, some times it doesn’t, sometimes it comes back by its self, sometimes it doesn’t.

Anyone had similar or know what might be causing it?

When they work properly they are really good so I’m not to keen to replace them.

nealy
    Free Member

Sounds like a dodgy connection, try striping and cleaning everything and make sure the battery springs are making good contact.

Otherwise…

http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-501b-cree-xml-u2-1300-lumen-5-mode-led-flashlight-1-18650

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S009982

…or find a UK seller UK stock on ebay.

thepodge
    Free Member

I wondered about it being a connection thing but the batteries seem fairly secure.

kcr
    Free Member

I had problems on a torch and it was a bad connection between the case and the little pill at the front of the torch that contains the LED and electronics. If you have this construction, it might be worth checking the front assembly is screwed in properly.

Cheezpleez

I bet it’s the little pill in the tailcap that needs tightening. Unscrew the tailcap and there will probably be two little holes that you can get the tips of a pair of nail scissors or something similar into. Tighten it up hard clockwise and all will be well.

Northwind

Watch out though- sometimes there’s a plastic cap over the pill, and if that’s the case then tightening it will probably achieve nothing but might crack it! So worth checking that first-

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have a look for that

DrP

I had exactly the same thing on two torches….torches I used on my unlit commute on busy roads.
    Cleaned and repointed some connections. Still happened.
    The solution…
    Exposure maxx-d….

Some things are worth more than money, and I just couldn’t be dealing with the poor qc of these lights when lives were at stake!

DrP

thepodge
    Free Member

I only use my lights for less than an hour 3 times a month max and thats on well lit, quiet roads

I can’t really justify buying anything fancier

nealy
    Free Member

£6.82 for the U2 501B torch from Lightmalls is hardly splashing the cash but I’m sure your torches will be fine with a bit of a fiddle, one of mine didn’t work today when I put the battery back in and it was just the brass pill needing screwing back into the reflector (as KCR has already said)…simples

You really don’t need to spend £200…in fact it’s better to have a few cheap torches so you don’t have one point of failure because everything can break even the swish lights.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Same problem with about three lights so after 2 years of commuting and getting fed up of turning the switch end of the lights I went down the dynamo route earlier this year. Built the wheel myself on a CXP33 32 spoke rim with Shutter Precision hub and a B&M cyo light which I got cheap from an online shop in Germany. Total cost was around £160 give or take but it’s so much less hassle and has been flawless in all this rain

SiB
    Free Member

Got a couple of P7s which do the same – unscrew the end and there should be 2 holes, tighten with nail scissors and they’re fine (and bright) for a few weeks, repeat when necessary!

thepodge
    Free Member

Good to hear it could just be a case of tightening something inside

thepodge
    Free Member

Just tightened the two pin hole jobbie, probably got a good third of a turn on each one.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Intermittent DX Torch’ is closed to new replies.